Capship guide <- PLEASE DO *NOT* MAKE REPLY'S TO THIS THREAD!!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you find this guide helpfull? If not, what is lacking?

It's good enough as it is!
17%
It's misleading!
17%
More info on Equipment needed!
33%
More info on Fighting needed!
No votes
More info needed in general!
33%

Total votes: 6

Augustini
x4

Capship guide <- PLEASE DO *NOT* MAKE REPLY'S TO THIS THREAD!!

Post by Augustini » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 18:34

EDIT. Please do not reply anymore to this thread as i intend to repost it. All comments regarding the thread that is already in the post will be quoted!

The following is the Tutorial i finished working on earlier today. To view the Tutorial the way it was intended, you will need to register at X Development Center

EDIT. I would like to point out that the registration of a user profile on x-dc.net is required in order to access the guide there. Registration is totally free and user information will NOT be used commercially in ANY way!

Introduction

So, you finally got the reputation and credits needed to buy your first capital ship and you're probaly wondering about one or several of these questions:

- What is the best capital ship?
- Should i buy an M1 or M2?
- What race should i buy from?
- What weapons should i install, what is the "best" loadout?
- How do i handle combat in my M1/M2 ?

This guide will answer all of your questions, and many more as best as my experience allows it!

The very first thing to consider when buying a Capital ship is: Do i want to get up close and personal with the enemy or do you want to fight safely from a distance?

M2's have more turret mounts and can therefore equip more weapons, usually twice as many weapons as their M1 counterpart. They also have a substantially larger Lasergenerator to power the weapons. The M2 can also equip more shields than the M1.

M1's have the distinct ability to load up massive amounts of fightercraft. They are enourmous flying hangars. As the M1 has less turrets, weapons, lasergenerator and shields than the M2, the M1 relies on it's fighter support to protect the ship and to attack the enemy.

In a head to head battle between an M1 and an M2, the M1 will loose most of time since it is not designed for heavy capital battle. Whereas this is the speciality of the M2.

Keep in mind that in order for the M1 to be really usefull, you will need to be able to fill it up with fighters. This can cost from around 3-5 million to more than 260 million credits so choose wisely before placing your hard earned credits in one of these behemoths.

Differences between the races

Each race has it's advantages and disadvantages. But the difference between most of them is not large. The Capital ships are fairly balanced against each other. There is however one ship that stands out in this equasion and that is the Paranid. Their Capital ships are the only ones able to mount the Gamma Phased Shockwave Generator (GPSG).

The GSPG is a truly devasting weapon but think it through before buying and equipping the ship with this as it is an area-effect weapon. Everything caught up in the blast radius will take damage and eventually be destroyed. Exellent for venturing in Khaak, Xenon or Pirate sectors but not very good when engaging an enemy in a race sector. You will probaly end up destroying passers by and your reputation will drop like an apple falling from a tree!!

The Split Capital ships are the fastest, they can mount the most powerfull weapons in all turrets, but they are also the least shielded and the ships with the least turrets available. They do however make exellent ships in combat because of their size. They are the smallest Capital ships and can dodge incomming fire easier than it's rivals.

The Teladi M2 is The most heavily shielded ship in the X Universe. It carries a single 10 Gj shield. The recharge rate of the shield is far superior to any of the other Capital ships. It is, however, also the slowest and largest M2 available. Being so big means being an easy target to hit. If you fancy protection above speed, then the Teladi are the race of choice.

The Argon Capital ships lie in between the other races and excell at nothing! Harsh said but true. This is not a bad thing, on the contrary it is an excellent thing! It means that the Argon Capital ships are heavily shielded, heavyly equipable and have a fairly good speed. The Argon Capital ships would be my recommendation for the first purchase.

The Boron Capital ships look very nice and they have the possibilty of being very powerfull... Sadly there is currently a Turret bug and untill this is corrected i advise against buying these ships as a personal ships as some of the turrets will simply not fire when in-sector!

Equipping your Capital ship

Lets' begin with equipping an M2

Think about what role you want your M2 to fill out ie Capship killer, fighter killer, all-round.

To make a good loadout for being a Capship killer, you will need nothing more than simply equip the most powerfull weapons available ie BPPC and GPPC in every turret. This is also the optimal loadout for an oos patrol ship, but for a personal M2, this idea is not so good.

To make a good loadout for a fighter killer, you would place AFLAK and BFLAK in all turrets (where applicable, BPAC in remaining turrets) This will ensure you total and complete victory against any and all incoming army of fighters. It is allmost safe to say that against fighters... you will not die !! There is a downside to this loadout and that is the ineffectivity against other Capital ships. Although possible to beat a Xenon K with this loadout, you would need very good experience in avoiding incoming fire, get really really close and also possess a good portion of luck! (most of the time, as said it is possible...)

The balanced all-round loadout is the tricky one, how does one equip the brand new M2 with weapons that are effective at both taking out fighters and Capital ships alike? Well, my preffered setup is this:

Front Turret: Most powerfull ie B or GPPC
Up Turret: Most powerfull ie B or GPPC
Left: FLAK (if available, BPAC as replacement)
Right: FLAK (if available, BPAC as replacement)
Down: FLAK (if available, BPAC as replacement)
Back: FLAK (if available, BPAC as replacement)

To fully use this loadout, you will also need to have different turret commands:

Front & Up turrets: Attack my target
Remaining turrets: Attack all / Missile protection (dependent on situation)

That was the M2, now we'll take a look at a good loadout for an M1:

The M1 relies on it's fighters to do it's fighting (as earlier stated) But you still need to think about the role your M1 will fullfill. Same thoughts as above.

The thing to note about the M1 versus the M2 is that the M1 has a much higher topspeed than the M2, this means that it is often able to outrun it's Capital ship opponent. So a good place to mount the PPC's on the M1 would be the back turret. Bombard the enemy M2 while you run away. Effective tactic indeed. Still one needs to remember to get Anti fighter weapons ie FLAK's & PAC's

Please note that I am very much aware that there are other weapons available but these weapons are the ones that I have had the greatest success with. They are the ones that keep my Capital ships alive!

Capital ship combat

You should now possess a fully equipped M1/M2 so let's focus on how to do battle!

The thing to note is that it is neccessary to use a different angle than the one used when piloting any fighter. The main reason being that you have no main guns you can fire from the cockpit view, you are totally dependent on your turrets to do the shooting for you!

There's not really much to pay attention to when you're up against a group of fighters. You can plow right through and let your turrets blast away. The fighters will probaly make several attack runs at you but just ignore them. Consider them insects, unless you're being attack by 150+ fighters at a time i wouldn't worry about them!

Combat against other Capital ships, now this is where it gets interesting! The main thing to keep in mind here is to have the enemy ship targeted (remember you've put 1 or 2 turrets on "attack my target" command) A good knowledge of how to strafe up/down, left/right and make rolls is needed in successfully taking down the enemy.

My favourite approach is this:

- Steer directly towards the enemy
- Roll and position your ship so you will pass below the enemy, this is because there are useally less turrets in the downward facing turrets!. If the enemy is equipped with PPC, they useally are!, you will need to strafe up and down in order to avoid incomming fire. Also steering up and down will work wonders!
- When you have the enemy ontop of you, begin climbing and rolling slightly either left or right, whichever side you're more comfortable with!
- Keep turning and climbing around the enemy, this in it self will results in you avoiding the main portion of incomming fire.
- Keep circling the enemy untill he is destroyed.
- Latter, rinse, repeat... go get the next one!

If this tactic is used correctly, you're able to take out a Xenon sector alone in any M2 without ever getting your shields below 20%

A word of advise though: If your shield levels drop below 20% and you're swarmed with enemies, jump to the nearest sector or a sector with either an Equipment Dock, or ShipYard.

Recharging from combat

When you have just either won or fled from a massive battle, your ships shields will probaly have taken a beating. The really annoying part now is that the shields don't recharge from 1 instance to the next.

1 Gj shields take a very, very long time to recharge. Having more of them doesn't exactly speed thing up! They can take up to several hours to be fully recharged while the ship is either flying through space or sitting still.

There is a trick to recharging the shields however. Make sure you have a secondary ship you can beam or transfer into and then order your Capital ship to dock at any Equipment Dock or ShipYard. When it's docked, simply dock at the station too and switch ships. The shields will now be instantly recharged to 100%

The 10 Gj shields behave a little differently. They recharge at more than 10 x the speed of the 1 Gj shield. There is however only 1 ship in the unmodded game able to carry this shield! You will probaly never have to do the shield recharge trick with a 10 Gj shield as it recharges extremely fast.

Before seeking another battle, make sure that you have eneugh Energy Cells to jump back to safety if needed. A quick jump can be a real life saver.

-------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked it :) Any feedback is welcome :)
Last edited by Augustini on Sat, 23. Sep 06, 07:14, edited 5 times in total.

jlehtone
x4

Re: Augustini's Guide to Capital ships, equipping and combat

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 21:19

Sites which require registration tend to put off some people.
Augustini wrote:In a head to head battle between an M1 and an M2, the M1 will loose most of time since it is not designed for heavy capital battle.
There are three kinds of ships:
1. AI controlled and out of sector (OOS).
2. AI controlled, but in the same sector as the player.
3. The player ship.

The player ship can be almost anything and have whatever weapons and it still has a fair chance to win head to head any AI opponent.

Geggo
x3tc

Re: Augustini's Guide to Capital ships, equipping and combat

Post by Geggo » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 21:34

Augustini wrote: As the M1 has less turrets, weapons, lasergenerator and shields than the M2, the M1 relies on it's fighter support to protect the ship and to attack the enemy.
Partially true though I find the Split Raptor more than capable to defend it self as it can outrun just about any cap ship out there and packs enough FAA's to get rip of those pesky fighters.
Augustini wrote: In a head to head battle between an M1 and an M2, the M1 will loose most of time since it is not designed for heavy capital battle. Whereas this is the speciality of the M2.
in head to head fight I win, regardless which of the 2 I'm flying and whatever the enemy has, Raptor can mount GPPC and given 8 GPPC (4 front and 4 right) it is more than capable to give hell to enemies. (in players hands)

Not to mention that I'm now testing the full extend of missile fighting as my complex produced enough missiles to make first tests and boy were those J's screwed with couple dosen typhoons (that split into 100+ warheads)

handy388

Post by handy388 » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 22:39

it'll be great if you can post the whole guide without having to register.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 22:53

In fact failure to do so will likely cause CBJ and co. to remove the link until you post it somewhere where you do not have to register.

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Thu, 21. Sep 06, 07:55

@Geggo -> This guide isn't really usefull to experienced players... It's intended to help aid the players that are on the verge of buying their first capital ship.
Augustini wrote:This guide will answer all of your questions, and many more as best as my experience allows it!
As i stated, this guide is based on my own personal experience. There are many other different ways to go about this subject ;)

@Lost Ark -> I am in no way forcing you to follow the link. As registration is free and the site is run sorely on interest, I can see no problem.

I have however edited my first post to make the reader clear that registration is required. This should have been done when i first made the post, but i was in a hurry and forgot... :oops: Sorry about that!

Other than that, all comments are welcome and i will answer as to the best of my abilities :D

handy388

Post by handy388 » Thu, 21. Sep 06, 18:23

the whole registration business have leave a bad taste in many's mouth, seriously.

foxy42

Post by foxy42 » Thu, 21. Sep 06, 18:52

It's true, I'll be thinking about my first capital ship V soon, but I'm not going to read your guide, 'cos I don't register anywhere I don't have to. It's as simple as that. 15 years in IT has made me cynnical and lazy.

I don't understand why you don't copy and paste it into a thread like everyone else...got friends running little scripties on that site have you?? Jus' kidding, but seriously, you've eliminated 98% of your target audience. Make a thread out of it, you'll get more recognition and gratitude.

If you still don't understand the problem, what can I tell ya...

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 00:48

People could probably understand the need to offload onto another site if you intended to include a whole load of images and stuff in your guide. But what you're proposing is just text so there's no real need to have it on another site when you cna just paste it here and mebbe get it stickied for future generations..

western
x3tc

Post by western » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 02:09

the whole registration business have leave a bad taste in many's mouth, seriously

Thumbs up to that!
If things don't change, they'll stay as they are.

Stupac

Post by Stupac » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 02:19

He might get some kind of incentive for the number of hits the site gets. At our expense for taking the time to register.

RRRoamer
x4

Post by RRRoamer » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 04:21

It doesn't matter to me one wit what his reasons are. I'm not going to register to read the guild. Period.

If he wants me to read it, he can post it here, or he can post it somewere that does not require registration.
--RRRoamer

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 04:33

Firstly, the green print is unreadable on the forum version I am using which is predominantly 2 tone green.
Augustini wrote:@Lost Ark -> I am in no way forcing you to follow the link. As registration is free and the site is run sorely on interest, I can see no problem.
I also think this is unacceptable for a guide.

The mania on the net at the moment about making you register, forcing you to have hundreds of different usernames with many different passwords, just to access one thing you wanted to read once and never gone back after, is one reason why I simply say NO, I'm not registering and I go look for the information somewhere else.

If you want people to read it, either post the entire thing in the OP here, or provide a link to somewhere that can be read without registration. The mods will prefer it here, but several of mine are linked to elsewhere for different reasons.

The cynical will assume that forcing people to register is just so a new forum can get its user count up quickly.

handy388

Post by handy388 » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 04:35

not to mention some people use same password for many different purposes.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 04:41

The rules for passwords are many and varied, and most of the time, I get forced to make a change to standard ones because they wont fit the rules. Then I immediately forget them.

Even usernames arnt always accepted, because someone else already has it.

I view it this way. Registration for the people who intend to post, or those who want to see whats new easily. For the casual reader, registration is a curse.

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 13:03

Firstly let me say that i respect your opinions, if you choose not to register that's up to you.
Let me add however, the reason for the registration on my site is because it allows people to upload files, after all it is supposed to be a development site for people who write scripts & mods. If unregistered users were allowed this facility i hate to think what might get uploaded !

The fact that Augustini decided to put his tutorial on my site is his choice, if he wants to post it here there is nothing stopping him doing so.

Egosoft do an excellent job with the resources they have on this site and i would never disrespect that, tutorials written on my site do not require an entry to be made in a sticky as they are automatically categorised and displayed in the correct menu with minimal input from a moderator.

I give assurances when you register with me that your details will not be used for any marketting purposes and there is no illicit purpose behind the registration requirement.
More than that i cannot do.

Meanwhile i suggest we get back on topic about Augustini's tutorial before this topic gets locked.

cheers
TycHouse
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 13:20

TycHouse wrote:I give assurances when you register with me that your details will not be used for any marketting purposes and there is no illicit purpose behind the registration requirement. More than that i cannot do.
But you cannot assure that your site does not get hacked. And as said, registration for upload is fine, but registration for potentially only one read of one piece of text causes the observed reaction.

On topic: it has already stated that a player flown M1 is not inferior to AI M2. Neither is M6 or M3 either. It is difficult to comment text, when one assumes that part of the population will, by their own decision, only see the comment.

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 13:33

Okay, since everyone seems to have issues with the fact that i have only made a small portion of the guide available here, i'm going to post it in full. Let me just have a second here!

foxy42

Post by foxy42 » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 13:45

Good man! You know it makes sense, now I can't wait to read it! See?

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Fri, 22. Sep 06, 14:15

Poll added!

That oughta give you guys the opportunity to totally trash my work! :D

Seriosly, i want straight answers!

This is version 1 of the Tutorial, so changes are bound to be made!

So i've noted that i need to correct the part about M1 vs M2 when M1 player controlled! :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”