Typhoon missile live firing exercise on Xenon/Khaak Capital ships *UPDATED 08.10*

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Geggo
x3tc

Typhoon missile live firing exercise on Xenon/Khaak Capital ships *UPDATED 08.10*

Post by Geggo » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 16:35

So now that my missile complex has made sufficient number of missiles for testing purposes I have started to use them in massive quantities.

First up is the Typhoon missile:

Typhoon is Image Recognition Swarm missile, meaning that you can fire it at a target you are not facing and also it will split to 8 independent warheads upon lauch.

Travels at speed of 156m/s for 384 seconds which makes it's max range tad under 60km.

Damage is 30 000/warhead which adds up to 240 000 damage/missile.

One missile takes 3 Small units of cargo space and costs 30.3kCr - 37.1kCr.

And then to the actual tests:

First up is Xenon K with 324 000 Hull points and 3 375 000 Shield points (max would have been 6 000 000).
Firing sequence started around 14.9 km (4 seconds)
after 20 lauched missiles distance was 10.3 km (46 seconds)
missiles started to hit 71 seconds after first lauch (75 seconds)
and K was killed 15 seconds later. (90 seconds)

Second target is Xenon J with 240 000 Hull points and 6 000 000 Shield points (max is 6 000 000).
Firing sequence started around 18.2 km (4 seconds)
after 30 lauched missiles distance was 16.7 km (67 seconds)
missiles started to hit 114 seconds after first lauch (118 seconds)
and J was killed 38 seconds later. (156 seconds)

Third target is Khaak Destroyer with 162 000 Hull points and 7 375 000 Shield points (max is 10 000 000).
Firing sequence started around 14.3 km (4 seconds)
after 34 lauched missiles distance was 12.6 km (79 seconds)
missiles started to hit 96 seconds after first lauch (100 seconds)
Last missile hit at 147 seconds and Destroyer still had almost half hull left.
Fired several more to finnish the sucker. (should have fired couple more to begin with)

And videos are available here if you want to see....
http://files.filefront.com/KvsTyphavi/; ... einfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/JvsTyphavi/; ... einfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/Khaakavi/;59 ... einfo.html

Word of warning, the J video has a "loud" sound around 2 mins when xenon N strays within port side FAA range and gets obliterated.

Let me know if you cant download....I figure something out in that case.
Audio is Mp3, video is Xvid.
Last edited by Geggo on Sun, 8. Oct 06, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 16:58

That looks pretty much similar to what i've found, although i use a couple of firestorms now to bring the shields down first, pretty awesome missile that old typhoon. :lol:

Couldn't get the movies, The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. Tried a couple of times, using Firefox but that shouldn't make any difference. :(
lIfE iS a bOwL oF cHeRrIeS

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 17:03

Seems that filefronts end is still transfering those internally....

K video clip should now be available.( atleast I could initiate download)

edit:
And J clip should now be available too.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 17:19

Got one coming down now as i speak. :)

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 17:27

Got it, nice movie, X3 should have a built in movie capture for just these events. :D

Zhai

Post by Zhai » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 17:53

I may be a little ignorant.

But how do you manage to get the missiles hit, without the J or K firing up at them and destroying them?

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge. :(

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 17:56

Becuase it splits into eight warheads, the target vessel is "spammed" ie, 25 x 8 is two hundred warheads, it gives up. If you fire 25 firestroms, they will probably get shot down.

Zhai

Post by Zhai » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 18:01

Ammok Rules wrote:If you fire 25 firestroms, they will probably get shot down.
Sorry but I failed to understand that... (maybe because English isn't my native language :P)

You mean that the missiles will get shot down, or the target?

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 18:15

Against the K I fired 20 Typhoons, that's 160 warheads on target.

And by simple calculations I have the ammount I need to hit in order to kill it:

(Hull points+shield points)/warhead damage=warhead hits needed.
(324 000+3 375 000) / 30 000 = 123.3

So if 124 missiles hit target is down (add few to acknowledge shield recharge rate)

so 130 should do the trick, that leaves 30 decoys the K is allowed to take down.

Also as you may notice I'm on sideways strafe the whole firing stage, that is to spread the missiles even further so the target can't shoot to one direction and all missiles go boom.

@Zhai
Firestorms are slow and "single" torpedoes which presents easy target for the K's turrets, you can "hide" the firestorms with missile spamming (wasp, mosquito) or use typhoons for the whole thing as I did.

Zhai

Post by Zhai » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 18:17

Thanks, now I understand.

I get confused on so many missile types. ^^

Gargamel_sw

Post by Gargamel_sw » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 20:46

I really gotta get a Thyphoon factory up. I just love it after a nice long battle with a K or a Q (xtended mod) I fire a tempest or a hornet to finish off the last one, and BOOM it gets shot down 5 meters away from my ship. long reload, longer repeatbattle. That's why I'm hesitant to use most missiles. And there is the forgetting to change the missile type, and accidentally firing unknowns into a crowded dogfight with good guys mixed in. :evil:
I'm slow... what's your excuse?

Kieren_the_vexed
x2

Post by Kieren_the_vexed » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:05

Thanks for posting this info. I was planning a missile complex and you just bumped it up my priority list :twisted:

Just note though I got away with firing an unknown (by mistake I had finger trouble trying to target a cluster of L's) at a K today. The K didn't shoot the missile down & I'm not sure why. May be it was busy targeting something else but I watched it on my auto missle monitor all the way in from 6K away. BOOOM no k. I nearly fell of my seat with shock.

I also have a cunning plan involving firestorms but i'll post it after I've tested it.
Better to let everyone think your a crap pilot than to get in a ship & prove it.

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:29

Now that I took out Xenon Sector 596 I noticed couple things....

1. I shot couple of J/K down and they didn't seem to bother firing on the missiles at all.

2. Those enemies that did fire on the missiles stopped doing so after missiles started to hit (PPC's trying to track close targets moving fast maybe?)

I will atempt to check how well typhoons do against Khaak M1/M2's, but I need to get the jump coordinates for that (haven't bothered to buy them yet) but I'm going to assume that lots more missiles will have to be used against single target.

I did a quick test against certain plot related targets aswell.
Spoiler
Show
Shot maybe 30 Typhoons against Terran M1, bit over half of those missiles actually hit, those terran guns can track way faster than PPC not to mention they start firing them earlier (longer range) and they fire several times faster than PPC also. so if you plan to take down Terran M1's with typhoons you better fire some extras....I recon 40 would do fine.

Ammok Rules
x3

Post by Ammok Rules » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:39

Gargamel_sw wrote: I fire a tempest or a hornet to finish off the last one, and BOOM it gets shot down 5 meters away from my ship. long reload, longer repeatbattle. :evil:
Hmm, for missiles to be really effective, as in clearing xenon sectors, you need a lot of them, ergo, you need a big ship, M6. I've now cleared three xenon sectors with one ship, and lots of missiles. What you do is stand off and take out all the L's from a distance, not really dogfight, then any M's N's that catch up with wasps or silkworms and when your left with caps ships, then get your firestorms and typhoons out.
Spoiler
Show
although the station in 472 kept spewing J's and pals like nobody's business so i had to take it out, to do that I had to dump 100 lasertowers in there and i lost my superfreighter doing so, grrrrrrrr, couldn't jump out in time.
Lots of missiles for 472 was about 300 tbolts, 100 mossies, 50 typhoons and 24 firestorms plus my mates as mentioned, i lost all those too, btw, but i cleared it. Correct use of missiles is deadly.

synctrance

Post by synctrance » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 22:43

Ah, nice vids.
Never thought typhoons were so effective.
Got my self sustaining missile complex built on 2 SPP XL's which contains:
Firestorm Torpedo Factory 2
Hornet Missile Factory 4
Typhoon Missile Factory 5
Thunderbolt Missile Factory 4
Tempest Missile Factory 5

Total cost 267mil.

On the other hand i should have swapped a few for typhoons. :twisted:

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 23:29

Great camera work, love the way the missiles hit in different places on the targets :)

I tried typhoons after your first post about this, but didn't have quite
the success you've had, probably becase I wasn't strafing.

One question, in my game these missiles take up 3 cargo slots,
('3-' not '1s") & there's not exactly plenty of spare cargo space on a Python after gPPCs.

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 07:03

Dave Toome wrote:One question, in my game these missiles take up 3 cargo slots,
('3-' not '1s") & there's not exactly plenty of spare cargo space on a Python after gPPCs.
Yeah, I noticed that too but forgot to change it...I have to recheck it when I get back home. (I took the specs of Rogueys site)

ps. I now realize that I could have used the "target cam" instead of zooming on the target

I have plenty of room in python...8 GPPC up front, rest is max FAA, 1k energy and rest is missiles. (that's something like 3k space atleast, though on my test run I had 7 extra GPPC in my hold, a gift from Xenons for clearing their sector I quess :P )

sapi
x4

Post by sapi » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 08:35

Forgive me for my ignorance but which shipyard produces typhoon facs? I've got a burning desire to build a complex now :)

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 08:53

Teladi - Grand Exchange, costs 9 million though.

(Geggo - sorry for jumping-in)

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 09:29

Dave Toome wrote:Teladi - Grand Exchange, costs 9 million though.

(Geggo - sorry for jumping-in)
No problem, I'm at work now so it would have taken me 7 hours to answer that anyway.....besides what rule forbids others to answer the question in someones thread?

@sapi
You will want to put up quite a few of those fabs....I'm burning thru my stocks like hot knife thru butter. And I have 4 of those fabs running....I quess I will have to check the complex to see if I can add few more. (I did overbuild the food chain but ore I need to get more)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”