How on Earth do you straffe?!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dan1111

How on Earth do you straffe?!

Post by Dan1111 » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 10:41

Seems like a silly question I know, but I just can't do it. Do I need some special software installed? Do I need to be flying at a certain speed?

I've just upgrade to the Nova I capped, with the reduced speed missiles are slamming into me left, right and centre - I'm thinking that straffing might help!

Cheers

Dan

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 10:46

Strafe is only useful for dodging incoming fire. The ASWD keys are the ones you need. Powerful jets move you sideways or up and down.

Use a rear turret, Ion Disruptor or missile defence mosquito to keep the enemies missile off you.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

runebj
x3tc

Post by runebj » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 10:47

Use the ASDW keys (left, down, right, up). I thought they didn't work either first time I tried it, but if you stop your ship and watch carefully, you'll see they do.

As for avoiding missiles in a Nova, put an AIRE or MD in the back turret and set it to Protect Ship or Missilie Defence.

Good flying
Rune

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 12:42

Hi Dan1111 -

check out the Hints "sticky" at the top of this thread, and obtain a
keyboard layout..

- you'll find it extremely useful.. 8)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 12:53

Yeah missles is the one and only thing that makes the L not my favorite m3. To slow to out run em and no reaer turret, and no command that auto selects missles so I can shoot them down without pounding my home key 100 times till the missle shows up :( :(

Corna

Post by Corna » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 13:19

runebj wrote:Use the ASDW keys (left, down, right, up). I thought they didn't work either first time I tried it, but if you stop your ship and watch carefully, you'll see they do.
Same happened to me as well, I was not aware that I was strafing when pushing the ASWD keys. But what helped me to see that I am actually do strafe is coming close enough to a station or other big stationary object (asteraoid, etc.) and use the strafe keys.

Good luck.

seldum

Post by seldum » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 13:26

Just a noob question.....

When modding a game and/or adding scripts do you need to start a whole new game or is it possible to continue playing a game you have already begun?

Im starting a new game today and I was thinking about installing the bonus pack just released since it seems to enhance the game a bit.

texyuk
x3tc

Post by texyuk » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 13:51

You can add the bonus pack mid game, no problem.

Texy

Xenocrates
x2

Post by Xenocrates » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 13:59

I have fond memories of flying around split space for hours trying to buy a strafe drive. I'm King noob of noob mountain. It does say in the manual that it's fitted as standard but I must have been remembering from X2. :)

Corna

Post by Corna » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 14:10

Xenocrates wrote:I have fond memories of flying around split space for hours trying to buy a strafe drive. I'm King noob of noob mountain. It does say in the manual that it's fitted as standard but I must have been remembering from X2. :)
:)
Even in the initial manual for X3 was written that you should buy the strafe engine from Split Eq.Dock. I remember myself visiting every damn Split E.D. in search for the drive :D Finally I gave up searching and adressed with the question to the forum. How embarassed I felt when following the instructions received from forum members, I've realised that what I was searching, was always alredy installed in my ship.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”