Give me Avarice, or give me ... an ulcer?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

laplace
x3

Give me Avarice, or give me ... an ulcer?

Post by laplace » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 10:25

Having played X3 now for the better part of a year, without restarts, and reaching well into the top ranks in most areas. I now tried to restart with the simple goal of buying avarice. I've read most posts on the subject, and I am aware of most triggers to it.

Now, whenever I start up the game I keep looking for profit opportunities. When I find one, and cannot get to it in time, I reload and try again. I cannot use SETA, because everytime I do, I feel I am loosing credits. Having just purchased my first 1MJ fab in HoL, I find myself supplying for it manually to save money, in addition to killing/capping every pirate I find and just trading with a few spare freighters. Doing every XT,XI and ass mission available at my level.

Is this too much? Do I need to keep this up, with an ever expanding fleet, for days in order to be invited to the auction? Or can I relax a little..
"Why should you go to jail for crimes someone else noticed" -Bob Loblaw

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 13:13

To my knowledge no one has succesfully bought averice without some form of cheating. Possibly going full steam ahead will work but I'm not sure if it is possible.

Good luck.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 13:16

I have no idea what you mean by buying avarice.

The answer to your question is that you should be doing what is fun for you.

No point in persuing certain goals if the path is booring. Remember, in the x universe, it is the journey that counts the most.
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 13:35

You can play normally as long as you don't put loads of money in your player account... I've got over three hundred million in my factory accounts but am still on unknown sector...

Not done the plot...
Got only thirty or so million in my personal account at any one time...
UTs are all assigned to factories...
All my factories are in complex... only 55 factories but they're all pure profit...
All race ranks up to the second highest...
And I'm a few percent into Mogul status...

So I'm in line for Avarice...

foxy42

Post by foxy42 » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 13:53

mystikmind2005 wrote:I have no idea what you mean by buying avarice.

No point in persuing certain goals if the path is booring. Remember, in the x universe, it is the journey that counts the most.
If you don't know what he's on about, why post? To a degree, it is worth doing something boring to accomplish something outstanding. Unless you're a cheat, you did a lot of boring trading to make your first million, as most of us did.

What he's trying to do is buy the only sector in the vanilla game that it is possible to own. A worthy goal, would you not agree? It's very difficult apparently, requiring you to have nearly a billion available or summink like that, and its triggers are odd and difficult to spot. So he's asking for advice to take the path the game wants him to take to make the sector available at minimum heartache.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 14:16

Xenon_Slayer wrote:To my knowledge no one has succesfully bought averice without some form of cheating. Possibly going full steam ahead will work but I'm not sure if it is possible.

Good luck.
Is that right ? , I thought a few people had legitimately bought
Averice, what cheats would they have used anyway?

laplace
x3

Post by laplace » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 14:47

silentWitness wrote:You can play normally as long as you don't put loads of money in your player account... I've got over three hundred million in my factory accounts but am still on unknown sector...

Not done the plot...
All my factories are in complex... only 55 factories but they're all pure profit...

How many days are you in? The script is said to have run it's course by day 12.. or something. Are you playing non-plot? Or have you simply not completed it yet?

If it's not possible, then atleast I've tried. And, it'll give me something new to do until Bala Gi is released :D
"Why should you go to jail for crimes someone else noticed" -Bob Loblaw

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 15:03

In my experience, it changes to Avarice on game day 5, *if* you have 200-300M in your player account. It's changed for me in 5 straight game starts, just like clockwork. The auction starts showing up about 2-3 game days after the name change (again, my personal experience, and it too was like clockwork).

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 15:22

Dave Toome wrote:Is that right ? , I thought a few people had legitimately bought Averice, what cheats would they have used anyway?
I thought that there were legit cases too. But for cheats, adding sufficient funds to the player account seems obvious.

Cannot give a good advice, because I failed in this game. Did see the namechange, but never had the cash and never were given the chance to bid either. Auction was over the moment it was advertized for the first time.

Really bugs me, because the current game is otherwise going well. And it is about ten game days, in which one probably knows whether one succeeds or not. Kind of long as side-game.

@fud: You spend long hours in space (undocked), don't you?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 15:43

Mate, I spend long hours in space, period. :P

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 16:05

I've seen it bought legit at like day 30...

...best bet is to keep the money in factory accounts until you have around 1.5 billion, and THEN transfer that to yoru player account.

You can afford it then, never go about 100 mill in your player account until you want the auction to start

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 16:50

laplace wrote:
silentWitness wrote:You can play normally as long as you don't put loads of money in your player account... I've got over three hundred million in my factory accounts but am still on unknown sector...

Not done the plot...

How many days are you in? The script is said to have run it's course by day 12.. or something. Are you playing non-plot? Or have you simply not completed it yet?

If it's not possible, then atleast I've tried. And, it'll give me something new to do until Bala Gi is released :D
Normal plot game, on about day eighteen... Still Unknown...

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 17:00

foxy42 wrote:
mystikmind2005 wrote:I have no idea what you mean by buying avarice.

If you don't know what he's on about, why post? To a degree, it is worth doing something boring to accomplish something outstanding. Unless you're a cheat, you did a lot of boring trading to make your first million, as most of us did.

What he's trying to do is buy the only sector in the vanilla game that it is possible to own. A worthy goal, would you not agree? It's very difficult apparently, requiring you to have nearly a billion available or summink like that, and its triggers are odd and difficult to spot. So he's asking for advice to take the path the game wants him to take to make the sector available at minimum heartache.
What do you mean 'why post'?? of course it is better to post questions in existing threads than to go and clog up the system with new ones!!!! EEEgad
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Mon, 2. Oct 06, 17:04

Ok, here's something for you to thing about:

With the help of some excel and previous observations I made some calculations.

Asumptions used:
No UT is allowed to die
Players income cash is NOT factored in to the calculations after the first UT was bought
Time table was calculated with 2MCr and 4MCr UT price
ST training part takes 2 hours/UT
Income/UT/hour used was 200kCr
new UT was purchased as soon as previous UT's had made sufficient profits for it.

if each UT costs 2MCr and asumptions are true it takes 143 hours to get 50 UT's and after that it takes 100 more hours to get 1BCr. which meanst you need 243 hours ( 10 days) to get 1BCr.

if each UT costs 4MCr and asumptions are true it takes 188 hours to get 50 UT's and after that it takes 100 more hours to get 1BCr. which meanst you need 288 hours ( 12 days) to get 1BCr.

ALL the calculations were made with rediculously high margin of error and since players actions were NOT factored in it should be walk in the park to get the cash before the auction is over (I'm going with the 12 days asumption on that one, it was true in my game and several others have said the same, ofcourse I can't know if it's possible to post pone the auctions start AND end by keeping cash in stations which would make this walk in the park).

The thing is, I don't really care if I "own" a sector or not so it's likely that I will never try this my self but if I did I would be capping/doing missions while the UT's do their thing which would net me serious ammounts of cash. (and it would be rediculously easy to get the money with the XI mission exploit too if someone really want's it)

ps. In my current game I was at 1BCr mark on day 11.5 (company value that is)

Shadow_Knight
x4

Post by Shadow_Knight » Thu, 5. Oct 06, 21:36

I've had one or two shots at trying to get avarice but haven't gotten anywhere with it. Neither have a few of my friends so I've decided to look into how it works a bit more to figure out how to make it work.

However I need something to work with, so if some people would send me a savegame during and or after the auction i would be gratefull. If you are willing please PM me for my email address as I'm not willing to put it up on a public forum for all to see. And could you also tell me if you have used scripts or mods in the savegame as well. Thanks

donotdespisethesnake
x3

Post by donotdespisethesnake » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 12:21

Xenon_Slayer wrote:To my knowledge no one has succesfully bought averice without some form of cheating. Possibly going full steam ahead will work but I'm not sure if it is possible.

Good luck.
Sir, you offend me! :lol:

I bought it without cheating. To be honest, it's quite easy, I did it on first attempt.
"Yes, he is in his office, but he's on an intergalactic cruise."

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 12:31

donotdespisethesnake wrote:I bought it without cheating. To be honest, it's quite easy, I did it on first attempt.
Then perhaps you can tell details of your experience, because we love to learn more about this beast. :wink:

donotdespisethesnake
x3

Post by donotdespisethesnake » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 13:04

jlehtone wrote:
donotdespisethesnake wrote:I bought it without cheating. To be honest, it's quite easy, I did it on first attempt.
Then perhaps you can tell details of your experience, because we love to learn more about this beast. :wink:
Sure, I just followed the advice of others, inspired by the thread http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... ht=avarice. It turns out that the UT scheme is insufficient, I also built 4 space weed/fuel complexes, and also did several of XIs. There are already many posts discussing how to make money quickly, any of those will do provided you have 1.5B by about day 11.

Two crucial parts are keeping amount in player account less than 200 M credits until you are ready to trigger the auction. I inadvertently went above this and triggered the auction. I decided to continue and frantically did XI missions, but in the end I had plenty of cash. After the auction is triggered, put over 1B into your player account, then you should be invited to bid.

The other crucial aspect is I think a bug in the script. The auction starts running but you are not invited to join. To get round this wait in space for 5 hours, and then dock.

HTH. It's a crying shame I can't choose MY own name for MY sector, even "Your Sector" would have been as good as the list you choose from. I really wanted "Viper's Lair" :wink:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 13:17

donotdespisethesnake wrote:HTH. It's a crying shame I can't choose MY own name for MY sector, even "Your Sector" would have been as good as the list you choose from. I really wanted "Viper's Lair" :wink:
Betty has to spell it when you enter the sector. She does have a limited dictionary. :wink: Cannot even spell "Fight Software Mk". All I hear is ".... installed", when I kit out ships. :o

Too bad there are no "good" names. To me, a good name starts with a letter that no other sector name starts with. You press that key on the galaxy map, and there you are!

donotdespisethesnake
x3

Post by donotdespisethesnake » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 13:33

jlehtone wrote:Betty has to spell it when you enter the sector. She does have a limited dictionary. :wink: Cannot even spell "Fight Software Mk". All I hear is ".... installed", when I kit out ships. :o
I see what you mean, but there are now many things in the game that have no audio, e.g. all those weird containers, so it's just a pathetic reason. "Entering Your Sector" would not be bad though!
Too bad there are no "good" names. To me, a good name starts with a letter that no other sector name starts with. You press that key on the galaxy map, and there you are!
Like Viper's Lair :wink:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”