M0`s and what they originally were

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bob hope
x3

M0`s and what they originally were

Post by bob hope » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 20:21

Well all these Posts about M0`s and thinking they were some form of supership well, if i remember correctly the Terran M0 that you launch from in xbtf was just a station carrying M1, thats it.

On the other hand the Xenon M0 was a 2 to 2 1/2 km long craft with shield hardpoints, but other than that again it was a station carrying M0, also it was said that only M0 class ships could deploy Shipyards.

In X2 the Khaak M0 was a central weapon powered by 3 destroyers powerplants that fired thier energy into receptors on the M0 itself, other than that i would guess it was basically the same station dropping M1 ship, also which had shield generators on it (or were they power generatyors ... i cant remember lol)

M0's shouldnt be a real do it all ship, they should be close to what was outlined in the original games, and M1 weaponfit on a Superfreighter version of the TL, think of the comparison of the superfreighters cargo space to a normal TS and you will see what i mean.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 20:32

I think you made half of that up! Unless I am losing my marbles, nowhere were M0 class ships described as station-carriers, and there was nothing about M0 class ships deploying shipyards. They are, and have always been, slow-moving military motherships with massive planet-killer class weapons.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 20:55

The mission to destroy the Xenon M0 in the first game was to stop it rebuilding the Shipyard and the Energy plants you had to destroy previously, whether the mission statement was changed for gold or even with patches i dont know i just remember what it said the first time i did the mission, because i stopped playing xbtf till xtension came out except as a quick fly round and fight when bored game.

the only M0 portrayed as a planet destroyer was the Khaak one.

This is a bit like the original Briefing that said the X shuttle was a prototype battleship, and at the end of xbtf has the same shielding as a battleship, though it has only 2 ghepts instead of the 8 carried by m1`s and m2`s

So no it isnt made up at all, but the people who modified tl`s in xtension to be useable as m2`/m1`s also started putting in m0`s as massive player motherships with stupid amounts of armament.

Basically the idea i got from the missions to do with the xenon M0 off the first game made it look like a massive slow moving (especially for xenon .... remember how fast those battleships went!) that it was thier as thier home of operations and was their TL ship.

Now the missions may of poirtrayed this to me incorrectly but as a ship i think that its a better option than a ship that not only does everything that a m1 does but also does the job of an m2 as well, and also the job of a shipyard too for repairing ships, thats the seeming request for M0`s

Also as an option, would you as a government of any type trust any captain with a planet destroying M0, i doubt it, but its more likely that the super TL type would be available, Xenon and Khaak may not have that problem, thier loyalty is either programmed or group mind, very little chance of betrayal

ajsarge
x3tc

Post by ajsarge » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 22:30

From what I know from the X2 manual, it describes the M0 of being a battlehip. It's an M2 + M2 + M1 + 1/2(M1) ship. They're meant for things like blowing up planets and being the end-all ship when it comes to capital ship battles.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 22:36

the Xenon M0 was the mothership for one of the Xenon databases. Chances are there are more in deeper space ;)

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 23:00

theres that fliping Xenon "Galaxy Killer" (or whatever that thing is called) somewere above that terracorp sector I still can't get.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 23:29

thats the M0 that was destroyed in the end of the xbtf plot, in xtension there was another M0 in the far top right xenon sector, but that dissapeared in X2

i personally think that the ever more incvremental requests for ever more powerfull ships are going well beyond need, flying m2`s and m1`s is totally painfull, corvettes now that thier turning has been reduced are not much better, the only enjoyable ships are m3`s and m4`s, so why do people need a ship that barly moves can hardly turn but does everything a shipyard does combined with an m1 and an m2.

M1 mixed with a TL as a one off ship that you get to keep due to a mission to Destroy unknown races homeplanet, but the action of destroying the planet borks the weapon and makes it useless, there good way to bring the ship in, gives it a use and also means that if you set its cargo to double the cargo of a mammoth (if its the only chance of getting the ship) and making the shipyard that the player can buy bigger than 60k cargo size

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 23:54

bob hope wrote:thats the M0 that was destroyed in the end of the xbtf plot, in xtension there was another M0 in the far top right xenon sector, but that dissapeared in X2....
Actually, it was in X472. I eventually got tired of flying past it all the time and blew it up. :fg:

But I'm with you in regard to more and bigger ships. I don't really see the need. What's needed is more things to do with the ones we have. It's easy to add more ships, but a lot harder to add the content to make them relevant. If players want big, be-all, end-all ships, then they can simply mod them in. But I don't really see the point. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 00:34

I'm not sure where the actual game fluff for it came from, but on Argonapedia X history/timeline, they mention that earth did have the technology to build M0-class battleships before the terraformers attacked, but the subsequent destruction set their industry back enough that they do not do so currently. Likewise, the Argons and other X-races still do not have a big enough industrial base to field such beasts.

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 00:36

Why is it that the Xenon sector 572 (I think) says it was destroyed by a "Supership" yet none exists!

(I mean the one were the planets were obliterated)

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 00:40

dont forget that xenon were terraformers, and it takes only minor adjustments to change the terrafomation into a weapon, in other cases (sci fi books etc) people use masse4d capital ship weapons to destroy planets, aiming at weak spots in the planets crust etc

elwayno
x3

Post by elwayno » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 00:43

i think that as war goes on new weapons and new technologies should be researched like aegis in a normal game without scripting
upgrade cargo bays for carriers and make more efficent weapons
that should be the point
and i think the xenon m0 is that super ship thats mentioned, the one that inspired the titan
Always one eye on the scanner and a missile ready for when its my turn to fight. khaak keep coming and i keep blasting. Thats how to survive.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 00:46

elwayno wrote:i think that as war goes on new weapons and new technologies should be researched like aegis in a normal game without scripting
upgrade cargo bays for carriers and make more efficent weapons
that should be the point
But that would mean controlling the player's style of play by limiting what they can do in a game which's main aim is freedom.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

elwayno
x3

Post by elwayno » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 04:11

if aegis and a few other scripts like khaak invasion were built in then other scripts would be made
modding is like designing properties for the next game basicly
Always one eye on the scanner and a missile ready for when its my turn to fight. khaak keep coming and i keep blasting. Thats how to survive.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 05:36

I don't think a reseach ability would limit the scope of a player's game in the future.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 14:08

there was supposed to be research and development in froniers (the one after frontier) where things were added slowly to the game, and there has been BBS stories of weapons tests, new equipment and other advances.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 15:31

Some kind of research would be a major addition. Especially if you could speed up individual research projects by donating funds or building factories that produced research points rather than goods: acadamies laboratories and so on. Don't want to turn x into an RTS but it would be great if some developments occured during freeform play based on your actions other than being channelled through the restrictive liner plot scenarios.

Talking of development maybe in X4 they should try to keep some of the old X3 ship designs in service alongside any funky new models. I felt x3 kind of shattered the continuity from x2. If you are going to go that far wouldn't it have been better to start far further in the future allowing time for all those old designs to be fully decommisioned. Then begin with an entirely new plot line - if you must. I am a fan of good continuity dislike having to constantly suspend my disbelief - all the time - too much like watching a hollywood move!
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Kerrdles
x3

Post by Kerrdles » Sun, 29. Oct 06, 01:37

When it comes to M0's im sure there is a sector that says the spiult used to have 3 M0's but they got destroyed in the civil war when family Rhonkar disposed the last patriarch

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Sun, 29. Oct 06, 15:45

well as far as i see it, M0`s would be something usefull 90% of the time (m1 tl cross but with hught station carrying capacity) but could be retrofitted with the planet buster weapons at the expense of the TL part of the ship (internal power plant and the rest) the need for planet destroying weapons is non existant at all, yet for a battle capable TL with just huge capacity for station carrying, that would be usefull. Player shipyards could then need one of these ships to transport them.

This would also help out with the whole making huge complex structures too, maybe even a new ware size just for this ship, SST - super station size, but then again, the equipment docks and the shipyards look identical, whereas in the older games they were different.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 29. Oct 06, 21:33

The way I see it, the M0 classically functions in many different ways- as a super TL, a planet killer, or just a badassified combination of an M1 and a couple of M2's. Since they've appeared in all of these roles, the function of the M0 would probably be just as various if it were introduced into the next X, a la the XTended mod (the Leviathan functions as a hard-hitting, M6 carrying supercarrier, while the Terran M0 functions more as a thousand angry guns waiting to viciously slaughter something :wink: ).

The M0 would be nice to have as long as the AI could have them too, and so that they served a function beyond an uber gun/shield platform (that combined with frigates and the existing carrier, TL, corvette, and cruiser would finally establish the kind of tactical variance and options that make fleet battles fun :twisted: )
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”