How to use Firestorm Torpedos?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Enzo21
x3

How to use Firestorm Torpedos?

Post by Enzo21 » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 17:10

Every time i fire a Firestorm Torpedo i either miss, or blow myself up. Is there acertain nack to firing these things, and are the really worth all of the hastle? Ive been tryin to use them to kill M1's and M2's in the death macth arenas.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 17:41

Torps are slow-moving dumbfires, so they're based for stationary targets.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Gargamel_sw

Post by Gargamel_sw » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 17:47

they're pretty hard to use, I'll grant you that. They're slow, easy to blow up right in front of you, and have a 1 km blast radius, so you better be well out of the way when it goes off.
I don't use them myself personally. A bit too scary to use in a heated dogfight. The way to use them though is to launch them at least 2 km out, and preferably not underfire, at a slow moving capship (M1+2). Then fire some other missiles at the capship so the turrets would lock onto the other missiles and not your firestorm. Wasps or mosquitos are good for this, especially wasp as they are swarm type.
If you overwhelm the turrets enough, the firestorm can give you a big bang. I much prefer typhoons now though, and ofcourse, the unknown missiles
I'm slow... what's your excuse?

KipperTheFish
x3tc

Post by KipperTheFish » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 17:54

Add to that, fire them as you move away from the target, turn and spam with wasps. Seems to confuse the targets turrets
Pushing up the anti, I know you're gonna see me, Read 'em and weep, The deadman's hand again.

Cardboard Tube
x3tc

Post by Cardboard Tube » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 19:57

Dumbfire? Boo. I can't hit anything with dumbfires.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 28. Oct 06, 21:39

Their only practical application is station demolition.

Hammerheads and Typhoons are mainly used in capital ship combat.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Abanon
x3

Post by Abanon » Sun, 29. Oct 06, 01:15

I use a fast flyby (closest aproach about 2-3 kms) launch firestorm at 5 km the multiple others to near close aproach, dump a second firestorm and keep running. for this u need to be able to almost double the torp speed to ensure you are safe but if either torp hits they bot do damage through its large radius

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”