Laser Towers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ganre
x3

Laser Towers

Post by Ganre » Sat, 4. Nov 06, 16:14

How do I add a better shield to my Laser Towers? When I bought them they had 25MJ shields and I deployed them. I bought 125MJ shields for each one and I cannot figure out how to transport them to the tower. I have also tried to pick them back up by my ships can't seem to accomplish this goal.

I see that there are slots for other things what would go here? Repair lasers?

Also, how far should they be deployed from here home base, what is the optimal distance?

And is there a search engine on this web site, I was going to search for this topic, but couldn't find a search option?

Thanks for any help,

Ganre

Ganre
x3

One more question

Post by Ganre » Sat, 4. Nov 06, 16:17

Sorry, I forgot.

The laser towers (2) are for my first station it is a wheat farm in Presidents End. Do stations have there own defenses or can i attach the towers directly to the station in some way?

Thanks again,

Ganre

Ganre
x3

I'm a noob

Post by Ganre » Sat, 4. Nov 06, 16:42

Found the search engine...gee it was right there big as @#%&. Will start searching for info on towers and stations, but if anyone can help with the noobs questions I would still appreciate the help.

Happy hunting,

Ganre

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 4. Nov 06, 17:23

u'll need to use a script if you want to change the shields on Laser Towers

Ganre
x3

Post by Ganre » Sat, 4. Nov 06, 21:02

That sounds complicated!!

Guess I'll just have to find some that have 125MJ shields to start with.

Ganre

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 03:50

Ganre wrote:That sounds complicated!!

Guess I'll just have to find some that have 125MJ shields to start with.

Ganre
I don't think there are any in the normal "vanilla" game, but you never know... :wink:

You can't mount then on a station, but you can place them nearby and set their homebase to the station, so they protect it. They do work better with a homebase, it allows them to coordinate fire. :)

Use six to ten, dropped in a bunch, they will last longer then. But they will still take damage once in a while. 8)
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

v8envy
x3

Post by v8envy » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 08:02

Ten is not really enough laser towers to defend your complex from anything larger than an M4. It takes about 15 towers to reliably kill a freighter with a single laser before a tower takes hull damage. I used a pack of towers to quasi-automate some piracy in Cloudbase Southwest, so I got to watch them work IS and OOS on lots of different Paranid ships. =)

For best effect drop them in clusters of 20 laser towers, each drop 2-3 km apart. 80 laser towers will handle a khaak cluster of any size. I have no idea how many would handle a destroyer or carrier -- I suspect several hundred.

As far as moving them: just open your cargo bay doors and drive over the tower in a ship capable of XL freight, with at least 100 free space. It's that easy.

Ganre
x3

Post by Ganre » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 08:25

Thanks guys.

Ganre

sneakey pete

Post by sneakey pete » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 10:15

just 4 Laser towers will easily handle the M5 component of a Kaakh cluster, it's just the dam M3's that will kill them..

btw, would i get race rank increases if i put laser towers in a sector, and wasn't in the sector when they killed pirate ships?

I have no idea how many would handle a destroyer or carrier -- I suspect several hundred.
*fills mamoth with Lt's*

The Rogue Trader
xr

Post by The Rogue Trader » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 19:00

sneakey pete wrote:btw, would i get race rank increases if i put laser towers in a sector, and wasn't in the sector when they killed pirate ships?

*fills mamoth with Lt's*
I think you only get race rep when you make the kill, as the LT's would only be assigned to your ship, in a similar way to wingmen.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 19:29

Maybe you find this useful :wink:

Cheers Euclid

v8envy
x3

Post by v8envy » Mon, 6. Nov 06, 04:31

You still get rep gain/loss with laser tower kills, so long as you are in-sector. You can even do SETA-piracy -- drop two 20-LT clusters by each gate in a sector like Cloudbase SW or Family Whi, target the racial enemy (Paranid or Boron) and hit SETA.

Not that much later, enough rep to buy your TL. =)

I had my fleet of ~20 captured paranid superfreighters parked in cloudbase SW. I'd set two or so to gather all, and SETA for 5-10 minutes. Then sort out the stolen goods, and sic two new ones for the harvest. You'd be shocked how many credits this approach generates. It's right up there with UTs and capping ships.

kulltc

Post by kulltc » Sun, 23. Mar 14, 05:36

i personally dont use anything less than 75 towers at a time. they could have no shields at all. just eats anything. easy fix rather than editing something imo. hope people still play this, i think ive finally found the fastest way to get get set up for money without doing any pesky trading. great game!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 23. Mar 14, 07:25

This thread is nearly eight years old. Please don't raise the dead.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”