The Ecliptic projector

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mcsquared
x3tc

The Ecliptic projector

Post by mcsquared » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 17:13

As a newbie I've having trouble using the Ecliptic projector. I've got it installed in my Mercury but when I press "g", all I get is a hum indicating I did something but the visual on my nav map is the same. Any help would be very appreciated.

R.Styles
x3tc

Post by R.Styles » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 17:23

It actually projects a grid in space, although i'v had trouble getting it to work in every sector. If in doubt go to the centre 0, 0, 0 & try it, you should see it then.

Jankes
x3

Post by Jankes » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 17:28

That grid doesn't cover the whole system and sometimes it's difficult to see. Try to fly to the center of the system or if you are there and still can't see it turn around
De Oppresso Liber

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 19:29

The Ecliptic Projector was quite useful in X-BTF and X-Tension when placing stations or just getting your bearings. It was less useful in X2 and is pretty much worthless in X3. It's simply not been upgraded sufficiently as the sector sizes increased and became less regular. Only buy it if you have to have every single upgrade installed on your ship. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Mon, 6. Nov 06, 04:33

It works for me. It looks smaller in large sectors, but I can still see it. Try going up or down a little, you might be looking at it edge-on. :)
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Criminal_Colt
x2

Post by Criminal_Colt » Mon, 6. Nov 06, 05:33

The only reason I buy it now is the the Xai navigation overide script requires it. (Makes any ship take evasive action if targetted by an enemy)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 7. Nov 06, 00:08

Carl Sumner wrote:It works for me. It looks smaller in large sectors, but I can still see it. Try going up or down a little, you might be looking at it edge-on. :)
The main problem with the current EP is that it's a fixed grid size, and not a very big grid at that. In the larger sectors, notable Ministry of Finance for one, it only covers a tiny area in the center of the sector. Which makes it totally worthless, IMO. In X-BTF and X-T, it stretched from gate to gate. But now with gates scattered the way they are, that's no longer possible. Finally, it's simply not very bright, so you can't see it from a long distance. All these factors combine to make the EP a non-purchase for me. It needs a serious upgrade to make it useful again.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 7. Nov 06, 00:32

Nanook wrote:Finally, it's simply not very bright, so you can't see it from a long distance.
It's also affected heavily by the fog in some systems.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 7. Nov 06, 00:37

esd wrote:
Nanook wrote:Finally, it's simply not very bright, so you can't see it from a long distance.
It's also affected heavily by the fog in some systems.
Now that I wouldn't know. I haven't had 'fog' in my games since 1.1. :wink:

X3 nebulae - :thumb_down: :thumb_down: :thumb_down: :thumb_down: :thumb_down: :nö:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”