"Homeworld" type hull repair lasers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JrStonewall
x2

"Homeworld" type hull repair lasers

Post by JrStonewall » Sun, 19. Nov 06, 06:03

I read someone in a post mention having ships (in X3) with hull repair lasers and asked in the script&mod section and someone mentioned they thought it was in the game. The hull repair script is nice for capitol ships but I would prefer repair lasers that could be fitted to my fleet of tiny cannon fodder ships (that are too worthless to sell). That way my tiny ships would be useful besides cannon fodder.

I loved the repair ships in Homeworld. And the biggest factorys, stations, ect are all built by tiny drone sized things. But I dont want repair drones (they would expire).

Anyway, Im more the merchant and capture junky and dont do much missions or plots but will if the reward is repair lasers.

What I really want to know is how to get repair lasers or better yet, how to get repair laser factorys. Thats what I'm talking about.

Any hints & spoilers appreciated. By me at least.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 19. Nov 06, 09:10

I don't know who said that, because they're wrong--there is no such thing as a repair laser in the standard game, nor in any of the scripts signed by Egosoft as the Bonus Pack. In fact, the only reference to such a device was on the back of the X2 box, and this was actually a misunderstanding between the game developer and the publisher--the device didn't actually exist in the game!

Somebody might well have scripted in such a device, but you'd have to check the Scripting and Modding forum for that.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Sun, 19. Nov 06, 14:46

In fact, the only reference to such a device was on the back of the X2 box, and this was actually a misunderstanding between the game developer and the publisher
That would explain a few things. Ego should demand to proof any final copy for inaccuracy before it gets set for life in print.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Mithril Prime
x3

Post by Mithril Prime » Sun, 19. Nov 06, 15:06

Actually I believe the repair laser exists somewhere within the plot, though I'm not perfectly sure where. However, it is a plot only device and you won't be getting your hands on it.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sun, 19. Nov 06, 15:16

The repair laser *is* defined in the game files. It's just not available anywhere. Actually, a hint may exist in the description for it -

"This weapon is installed on repair drones to assist in the welding of new Teladianium Panelling to stations if they need to be repaired"

... So, has anyone used the BBS message to repair a station of theirs? It looks like it's supposed to send a freighter which deploys drones to repair the station - presumably with this laser installed.

It wouldn't work on your fleet though, unless you modded them, since no ships I'm aware of can equip it.

JrStonewall
x2

Post by JrStonewall » Sun, 19. Nov 06, 15:52

Ok, I'm taking my grovelling back to the script&mod forum. May want to leave this thread here since it seems a lot of people think its in the game for use. Maybe someone got drunk playing Homeworld then came here and posted about repair lasers or else someones already made such a script but is too evil to share the goodness. :(

I think we can all agree that they should be in the game. Well, nevermind. All of me agrees that repair lasers should be in the game.

Balance wise the repair ships will no longer be able to shoot their normal popgun aire/apacs so I don't consider the idea unbalanced in any way.
Its not like anyone is gonna want to fit them on their m1,m2, & tl capitol ships. There is already a "hull repair technology" script that fixes the real big cruisers, carriers, and battleships.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”