Towing Yacht

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BlackVBlack
x3tc

Towing Yacht

Post by BlackVBlack » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 06:05

Ok, i found the yacht and am towing it with my centaur through the gate. Problem is, that the yacht wont follow me through the gate.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Arseface
x3

Post by Arseface » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 06:23

Put your ship on autopilot, the other one will follow (after about a 30 second or so pause).

Note you'll need some shielding on your M6. I tried using the damaged, shieldless M6 that was left next to the yacht, but some kind of sqush mine goes off or something a few seconds before the yacht comes through. Weird... Anyway, 125Mw should be enough.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 12:58

I found this tricky, but then I had messed up my upgrade and so wasn't getting a model for the yacht (by the way you can't tow a model-less ship through a gate).

You don't need to use auto-pilot (but go ahead if you want to), whilst towing the ship, just fly through the gate, then leave your ship alone, you will appear on the other side of the gate without the towed ship, you will fly away from the gate, the computer will then stop your ship (set speed to zero) then about 10-20 seconds later the gate will start indicating an incoming ship. The ship will then come through and your ship will re-attach the tractor beam.

Then you are okay to accelerate and continue towing the ship.
Spoiler
Show
As the other poster mentioned, be careful of the Squash mines through the first gate.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 13:02

Yup that confused the hell out of me the first time I tried it. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Eventually I just kept flying and sure enough it came through after a short delay.

One thing to note is that as you go through the gates the yacht falls further behind. when I docked at the shipyard nothing happened as the yacht was abuot 6km behind me. I left the shipyard and towed it nice and closely and this worked fine.
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 14:44

Al wrote:One thing to note is that as you go through the gates the yacht falls further behind.
I think this only happens if you hit the controls after coming through the gate. If you fly through and take your hands off, then your ship will pause (ignoring any throttle setting) until the yacht comes through, and then will pick up again with the yacht no further behind.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 15:25

As a side note, just to illustrate that your yacht towing problems aren't that bad...

I first got my tractor beam, just after the update that added them, I equipped it to my front turret on my Mammoth and used it for moving stations (which it wasn't very good at). But the logic to putting in on the front was, "at least I can see what I'm doing when I'm in cockpit mode".

So anyway I get told to tow the yacht, so I call my mammoth over from Montalaar (where luckily I had an energy producing complex, so the thing could jump to me. I then get it to the yacht, lock on with the tractor beam, and proceed to drag it to the gate with my Mammoth going in reverse, because I thought if I turned too much I would break the beams connection and the intervening time between equipping it and this update meant I thought it could only be equipped to the front turret.

I can tell you crossing that gigantic unknown sector at a maximum of 10m/s in reverse is a very long and boring process, even with SETA at 5x.

When I had to do this again for reasons I have no wish to go into, all I can say is, experimenting with different ways to acheive this goal was a very high priority.
Nirwin
------

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 15:31

softweir wrote: I think this only happens if you hit the controls after coming through the gate. If you fly through and take your hands off, then your ship will pause (ignoring any throttle setting) until the yacht comes through, and then will pick up again with the yacht no further behind.
I'm sure that the only thing I touched was accelerate to make sure it didn't ram me from behind. I probably didn't need to but I wasn't taking any chances ;)
X2 Capture Guide

BlackVBlack
x3tc

Post by BlackVBlack » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 16:12

Got it through the gate, thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 16:19

Al wrote:
softweir wrote: I think this only happens if you hit the controls after coming through the gate. If you fly through and take your hands off, then your ship will pause (ignoring any throttle setting) until the yacht comes through, and then will pick up again with the yacht no further behind.
I'm sure that the only thing I touched was accelerate to make sure it didn't ram me from behind. I probably didn't need to but I wasn't taking any chances ;)
Ah, that was he reason the connection became so long! You can leave the controls untouched, it all happens automatically.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 16:21

nirwin wrote:...and proceed to drag it to the gate with my Mammoth going in reverse, because I thought if I turned too much I would break the beams connection...
It works very well if you turn all the way around, and you can go at 80m/s that way!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 09:22

softweir wrote:
nirwin wrote:...and proceed to drag it to the gate with my Mammoth going in reverse, because I thought if I turned too much I would break the beams connection...
It works very well if you turn all the way around, and you can go at 80m/s that way!
I was just about to ask that, because people have said using Nemesis and it cannot mount the Beam in the turret. If one looks at the green beam (already in 1.4.03) one sees that it originates from the center of the towing ship and not from turret or gun hardpoint. So the location of the weapon seems a formality. The pre-2.0 towing has just made one cautious. It seemed that just one uncontrolled breath might break the tow before 2.0.

I've now done the tow twice. Once with 2.0.01, and again with 2.0.02. I flew manually both times. On the first gate (in 01) I too wondered what happens, and returned back to see the M7 to accelerate towards the gate. On other gates all went smooth although the incoming ship got occasionally quite close as I waited in the back turret of a Centaur. And I did reshoot the beam after every gate.

On this second run (2.0.02) the beam reconnected automatically, although I flew manually. After the first gate both sideturrets were shooting around without any target. Cycling through the turrets did not help. I broke the automatic tow, reconnected and the other turrets started to behave. Therefore I did reconnect manually after each gate in order to shorten the rope and to keep the other turrets civil.

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 09:51

Spoiler
Show
I took them out with 2 hammerheads :D woot.

Still lost all the damaged ships except for the nemisis and the Mamba. That was because of a random pirate attack however. My XL and Nova ensured the missions success.

The worst part of this mission was traveling about 600 km at 17 kms lol even wiht seta x10 that took forever :D I deserved the damn ship after that :twisted:

kevenh
x3tc

Post by kevenh » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 13:11

jlehtone wrote:After the first gate both sideturrets were shooting around without any target.
The turrets are shooting at mines ;)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 13:16

What mines? I saw no mines, no explosions, nothing. And this was a second game. You say 2.0.02 added mines that were not there in 2.0.01?

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 13:21

jlehtone wrote:What mines? I saw no mines, no explosions, nothing. And this was a second game. You say 2.0.02 added mines that were not there in 2.0.01?
Well there were certainly a shed load of Squash mines when I cam out of the first gate whilst towing the yacht, I lost the arrow to 1 of them :cry: .
Nirwin
------

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 13:25

nirwin wrote:Well there were certainly a shed load of Squash mines
:cry: Not fair! Why my game lacks all the fun? :evil:

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 14:00

No mines, no pirates (apart from Teladi guy and friend who demands you hand over the ship). Very boring experience to be honest. I could have done with a good fight.
X2 Capture Guide

kevenh
x3tc

Post by kevenh » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 14:08

:? jlehtone, Al, had either of you travelled through these unknown sectors before the Bala Gi missons?
Spoiler
Show
I'd been here before looking for dormant ships. iirc I reduced the number of pirates and mines etc. then. So when I came back for the M7 there was only 1 pirate group patrolling in the 1st Unknown Sectors with a few mines on the left side of it's South gate.

When I started towing the M7 there was a random pirate group turn up near by, and then later the plot specific Pirate M3s
Quite quiet.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 14:17

kevenh wrote:had either of you travelled through these unknown sectors before?
Some time last Spring. No recollection of what I found back then.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 14:23

I hadn't explored that far before the mission and even had to consult a map to find where Grand Exchange was. It was virgin territory before I went there for the mission.
X2 Capture Guide

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”