Dumb wingmen!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hoops71
x3

Dumb wingmen!

Post by Hoops71 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 11:36

Am I the only person here who reduses to use wingmen as they tend to crash into stations and asteroids quite often? I much prefer the 'protect' com.It seems to come with free spectacles for your AI compatriots! :D

foxy42

Post by foxy42 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 11:46

Nope, I never use the morons. In sector they are worse than useless, a total liability.
"We only want peace!!"
"Split say DIE!!!! Fish boy!"

KipperTheFish
x3tc

Post by KipperTheFish » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:00

The only use that wingmen have is to be cannon fodder.
They make great decoys when in a monster scrap. They just make sure that all the bad guys don't all attack you.
Fighter drones are a cheaper option.
Pushing up the anti, I know you're gonna see me, Read 'em and weep, The deadman's hand again.

Aramaye

Post by Aramaye » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:08

I use wingmen with carriers as part of a defensive/offensive arrangement. but even then i only use the anarkis carrier commands, as it makes life so much easier.

would never have wingmen with me though. that's just crazy talk. :D
Exiles and Driving EPs available on iTunes Now!

http://www.peoplearethings.com

http://www.soundcloud.com/peoplearethings

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:19

KipperTheFish wrote:The only use that wingmen have is to be cannon fodder.
They make great decoys when in a monster scrap. They just make sure that all the bad guys don't all attack you.
Winning a fight alone is easy. Winning with all those "helpers" is a challenge. There are not many commands to choose from, but some are better than others.

I use a fleet to fight, not to fly onto stations. That I do alone. :oops:

But most of the time I have fought alone. I had a reason. Combat rank. Every kill did count.

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:27

jlehtone wrote:
KipperTheFish wrote:
I use a fleet to fight, not to fly onto stations. That I do alone. :oops:
I learnt that the hard way! :D
This is one of the few things Ego could improve I think.As it stands wingmen are ..well,useless. :(

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:30

Hoops71 wrote:
jlehtone wrote:to fly onto stations. That I do alone. :oops:
I must point out that I crash on static objects while flying manually. I will give no credit for the auto-pilot for such stupidity.

Wingmen are not useless. They are fun.

foxy42

Post by foxy42 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:44

jlehtone wrote:
Hoops71 wrote:
I must point out that I crash on static objects while flying manually. I will give no credit for the auto-pilot for such stupidity.

I admint it's fun to watch a total moron crash into an inanimate object, but I also stand by what I say, that they are worse than useless and a total liability, whilst 'fun' and amusing, an M3 smeared across a Bofu lab is an expense I can live without...
"We only want peace!!"

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:47

foxy42 wrote:
jlehtone wrote:
Hoops71 wrote:

I admint it's fun to watch a total moron crash into an inanimate object, but I also stand by what I say, that they are worse than useless and a total liability, whilst 'fun' and amusing, an M3 smeared across a Bofu lab is an expense I can live without...
:lol:

twinview
x4

why do they even use wingman or teammates in game they all are just Cannonfodder

Post by twinview » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 12:52

You would think game company would stop have AI buddies in games there all dumb as ice and Most of the time Useless.... Not all games have this prob there are like a 1 or 2 games out there with good AI .....

But Not to harp on EgoSoft They do a very good job on the games but by Now you would think they would have the AI down in the X1 X2 And X3 games bynow...... Please don't get me wrong Egosoft rocks but why so bad AI I don't get that.....

PLease if you can Egosoft do somthing about the AI ..... on wingman .... Otherwise the games you do are Really Good..... thanks .....
:) :D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 13:54

Should you tell them that wingmen are useless? :P

foxy42

Post by foxy42 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 14:43

jlehtone wrote:Should you tell them that wingmen are useless? :P
Fair enough, but....that is a fleet, where losses are expected, not exactly the same thing we're talking about on this thread...I would never for example take two or three LXs as my 'wingmen' while flying round the 'verse, or just capping pirates or whatever. I do however plan to build around 40 or so LXs and take them to 101 with me one day, looks like fun, just hope I won't need another 8800 GTX in order to ahndle it... :wink:
"We only want peace!!"

twinview
x4

Who only me?

Post by twinview » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 16:01

I agree they should be told about it but it would be better if everyone who has problems with the Wingman AI to send them a E mail asking them to fix it..... More the Merry I say.....

But still They get Big Kudos For such a Great Game... :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 16:06

foxy42 wrote:Fair enough, but....that is a fleet, where losses are expected, not exactly the same thing we're talking about on this thread
:oops: Oh you did mean 'couple' with 'wingmen'. Not 20+? Now I see. Those pitiful numbers are usually inefficient. Not that they would crash or anything, but just not enough diversion to save their own six in a furball.

foxy42

Re: Who only me?

Post by foxy42 » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 16:09

twinview wrote:

I agree they should be told about it but it would be better if everyone who has problems with the Wingman AI to send them a E mail asking them to fix it..... More the Merry I say.....

But still They get Big Kudos For such a Great Game... :)
2.0.02 is the FINAL version of 'X3'. Whether there will be an Official expansion or simply X4 is in debate in another thread, but they will not be 'fixing' anything else with this game. Just to let you know, as they prob won't appreciate being bombarded with mail about a minor bug in a game which has been out for over a year and already declared 'finished'.
"We only want peace!!"

lordphelan
x3tc

Post by lordphelan » Wed, 29. Nov 06, 22:40

i have 2 constant wingmen

a nova raider and a barracuda.

i just set them to protect me whni go into a fight.. and they peel off and start atacking anything that shoots at me. very good in a big scrap... last night i took on about 15 pirate m3's... we all survives with no hull damage and even capped a nova in the process. "unknown objects are fun though.... great attantion grabbers :twisted:

have the occaisional issues with station and 'roid collisions although this is far less of an issue since 2.0.02. AI must have gone back to basic flight school!

had a Xenon L get stuck in the storage boxes att he end of an EQ dock once.......... was loosing shield s fast as he kept trying to move. told him to stop...... flow over and transported n and carfully flew it out.....how he got there i'll never know. :?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”