What's up with the PBE?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Kita280
x3

What's up with the PBE?

Post by Kita280 » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 07:12

Alright, here's the situation. BPBEs are completely awsome weapons against annoying flies and against the shields of bigger ships. They are one of the most efficient weapons in this respect too. Normally, they fire at a very high rate, and can mutilate things pretty quickly.

However, I've been noticing some REALLY odd behaviour with this weapon when I'm in a laggy situation. I have a habit of flying solo into Xenon sectors, hovering close to a K or a J, and "aiming" the GPPC fire of the other Xenon ships into the ship I'm near (and of course snatching any drops I can carry after). Well, when the PPC lag starts, PBE fire rate drops. And it isn't relative to the system slowdown. For example, 4 BPBEs against an N cause it to go kerplooie in about 2 seconds flat under normal conditions. But with moderate or severe lag, I become literally unable to kill ANYTHING with them! The weapon still fires, and I can still see it hit the target, but the damage (even against an N) is so insignificant I must resort to HEPTs and ramming!

Now, here's the REALLY wierd part. When I run out of energy, my fire rate INCREASES! It still does less damage than normal, but it does enough to kill M5s. This is the only weapon I have this problem with (although the MD might also be affected, I don't use them). My HEPTs fire normally and all in the same lag, but the PBEs are driving me nuts (and no, I'm not giving them up)!

Does anyone have any clue as to how this could be fixed?

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 12:23

This should be in tech support not S&M.

arnak
x3tc

X3 Problem.

Post by arnak » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:07

Hi,

What version have you patched too?

I believe there were some problems with weapons in earlier version.

Arnak
Just remember that Murphy was an optimist!!

i7 4ghz, R290 vid card, 16 gig Ram, W7.

Kita280
x3

Post by Kita280 » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 21:38

2.0.02, running no mods. Completely fresh game started in 2.0.02 as well. Tested this on two computers, both cause a disporportionate loss in the rate of fire of the PBE when there is a slight slowdown (since one comp lags very easily, the PBE is unusable on it). I have not experimented with using it in other versions yet.

Now I think I'll try to tinker with it and see if a slower firing rate (with corresponding higher bullet damage) helps the problem.

akshimassar

Post by akshimassar » Tue, 15. Jul 08, 14:04

I have the same problem using BPBE. More PPC projectiles -- more lags :(
Game version 2.5 with Bonuspack, playing 1280x1024 resolution.
Video card GeForce 8600 GT (256mb).
OS Win XP x64.
Tried different graphic settings -- no effect. Also tried setting "no acceleration" to sound.
Sorry for my english.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 15. Jul 08, 14:23

Does disabling your sound entirely (in BIOS if on-board - by removing the card if not) solve the problem? If so then you can be pretty sure it's the usual 64-bit sound driver issue.

akshimassar

Post by akshimassar » Tue, 15. Jul 08, 14:53

Tried it a few minutes ago. No effect.
Some facts about fps (according to FRAPS):
Profit Center Alpha, piloting Nemesis ~17fps
Profit Center Alpha, piloting LX ~22fps :?
In battle, some sector with asteroids, about 5 M3 attacking M2, M2 firing PPC ~17fps
several M2/M1 fire PPC -- often <10fps :(
Sorry for my english.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”