Whats an Ecleptic Projector and what do i use it for ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

babylon5freak

Whats an Ecleptic Projector and what do i use it for ?

Post by babylon5freak » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 10:51

Just like to know.

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 10:56

It displays a 'grid' in the system you're in...aids navigation/orientation.

Quite cool. 8)

babylon5freak

Does it show info like jumpgates an where they go ?

Post by babylon5freak » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 11:35

Hard to tell where they go untill you go upto them at get into range SUCKS, why can't you cycle though jumpgates in your sector ???

Why do people make games so STUPID ?

Bye.

And thanks.

nobbystyles
x4

Post by nobbystyles » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 14:31

How can you cycle through something if you dont know if its there or not? thats hwy you gtta scan them first. tenuse your nav screen.

and the ecliptic projector is a fine piece of kit

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 17:12

The Ecliptic Projector basically provides you with an artificial horizon, allowing you to orientate your ship in line with the "Ecliptic Plane". The ecliptic plane is made by drawing a grid that intersects each jumpgate, so follow the grid, and you will always get to the gate.

Also having the ecliptic stops you wandering off into the z axis when trying to find that gate in the east, and helps you find a station after you have spun about dogfighting.

Without the ecliptic, many of use would have become lost ;)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

SkyMarshall
x2

Post by SkyMarshall » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 22:14

Once installed does it work automatically or do you need to activate it? I have it on some ships and I didn't see a difference.

Thursday
x2

Post by Thursday » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 22:24

You have to turn it on and off using the 'G' key.

Thalass
x2

Re: Does it show info like jumpgates an where they go ?

Post by Thalass » Wed, 17. Dec 03, 22:28

babylon5freak wrote:Hard to tell where they go untill you go upto them at get into range SUCKS, why can't you cycle though jumpgates in your sector ???

Why do people make games so STUPID ?

Bye.

And thanks.

And I'm sure you can do better... :roll:

Spoiler
Show
Right, for the scanner range: Yes it does indeed suck massive donkey balls at the start, but if you buy a duplex scanner, it doubles your range. And if you ship can fit it, you can buy a triplex scanner which, funnily enough, triples the origonal scanner range. :)
Legitimate Businessman. Honest.

badtz

Post by badtz » Thu, 18. Dec 03, 03:28

Considering the general layout of each sector is similar, and considering the map can tell you that there are gates you havent found, you *should* be able to see the gates when you jump into a system. The whole "theres a gate there, you just havent gotten into range yet!" thing is a bit annoying, though I understand at points its used as a plot device.

[SweN]

Post by [SweN] » Thu, 18. Dec 03, 05:29

badtz wrote:Considering the general layout of each sector is similar, and considering the map can tell you that there are gates you havent found, you *should* be able to see the gates when you jump into a system. The whole "theres a gate there, you just havent gotten into range yet!" thing is a bit annoying, though I understand at points its used as a plot device.
some sectors are deliberately "hidden" by the ocupants too. ive fond a few gates hidden behind roids, but one recently that comes to mind is one in boron space where they hide their main war facroties or something. the gate goes west, but its actually in the
Spoiler
Show
top left hand corner, way out of the sector. nth wst. and quite a long way out
so the layout isnt always familiar, but generally. also the triplex scanner didnt help me until i had located the rock and pretty much flown right up to it. sort of cloaked i guess.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”