Ion Disruptor

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tiercel

Ion Disruptor

Post by Tiercel » Sun, 7. Jan 07, 20:28

There seems to be something wrong with either the ion disrutor cannon or it's description in my game (X2). Description says it disables a ship's systems but pour everything I've got into a ship and it keeps going. Am I just not being patient enough?
Eschew Obfuscation

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sun, 7. Jan 07, 20:56

It doesn't actually stop the ship, it can destroy ships weapons, shields and other upgrades.

Sirus5
x4

Ions

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 7. Jan 07, 22:01

IONS sure get the shields down quick - and you don't have to aim precisely like the PAC/HEPT...
I use them a lot to get the shields down and switch when they are down

Tiercel

Post by Tiercel » Sun, 7. Jan 07, 22:19

So then, can blasting an enemy ship with disruptors make them surrender once you've wiped out their weaponry?
Eschew Obfuscation

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 7. Jan 07, 22:59

Tiercel wrote:So then, can blasting an enemy ship with disruptors make them surrender once you've wiped out their weaponry?
afraid not. you'll have to poke their hull a little before they'll consider bailing. And Ions can destroy a lot of onboard machinery, so using them to cap (while stripping the shields quickly) will probably give you a capture with very little, if any, remaining equipment onboard.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Sirus5
x4

Ions

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 7. Jan 07, 23:18

Well, that is true, if you leave the ions on when the shields are down...
But, if you don't zap them when the shields are down, then you still will get the equipment.

I have capped 475 ships and have sometimes still zapped them a bit and got equipment left.

Dantini
x2

Re: Ions

Post by Dantini » Wed, 5. Mar 08, 16:14

Sirus5 wrote:Well, that is true, if you leave the ions on when the shields are down...
But, if you don't zap them when the shields are down, then you still will get the equipment.

I have capped 475 ships and have sometimes still zapped them a bit and got equipment left.
Sorry to bring up a year old thread but this is what i was going to ask,
do ion distrupters only destroy equipment after you bring down the shields? or is it the same rate of destruction throughout?
(I wanna start capturing using an ID but im afraid that it will destroy the shields/lasers in the process)

Starfire Commander
x3tc

Post by Starfire Commander » Wed, 5. Mar 08, 17:17

afraid not. you'll have to poke their hull a little before they'll consider bailing. And Ions can destroy a lot of onboard machinery, so using them to cap (while stripping the shields quickly) will probably give you a capture with very little, if any, remaining equipment onboard.
I'm sure I read, on other threads, that Kha'ak bail when you use IDs. Did they mean just IDs or do you have to dent it's hull as well?
-A wise man, in times of peace, prepares for war.

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Wed, 5. Mar 08, 18:54

I'm sure I read, on other threads, that Kha'ak bail when you use IDs. Did they mean just IDs or do you have to dent it's hull as well?
No you'll still need to do some hull damage.
If you use your ID's wisely in other word just enough to strip its shield then switch to PAC's or HEPT's you will get them to bail with weapons,missile & sometimes shields intact.
Another point to mention here the hull strength of Khaak M3's is very low so once youhave brought down his shield be careful as you can easly destroy the ship.
My personal favorite for capping khaak ships is a pair of ID's & a Pair of GIRE's. Captured loads this way.

Starfire Commander
x3tc

Post by Starfire Commander » Wed, 5. Mar 08, 23:58

I've never came across GIREs or even GPACs for that matter. I've got the vanilla 2.0 version so I guess they are in the Xtended mod.
-A wise man, in times of peace, prepares for war.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Thu, 6. Mar 08, 00:09

Starfire Commander wrote:I've never came across GIREs or even GPACs for that matter. I've got the vanilla 2.0 version so I guess they are in the Xtended mod.
They were in X2. Not in X3, and I have not seen them in XTM either.

But just read it as BIRE and BPAC. :)
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

dminor
x3tc

Post by dminor » Thu, 6. Mar 08, 00:41

Ive got Gpac's in my game, X3 +bonus. Picked them up in Parinid Prime. Don't have anything to put them on, Just packing them around in my ellie.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 6. Mar 08, 00:52

There are no GPACs in vanilla X3 either. Sure you don't mean GPPC or GPSG?

dminor
x3tc

Post by dminor » Thu, 6. Mar 08, 01:05

Yah My bad. They are GPPC'S. Oh well Back to lurking. :oops:

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Thu, 6. Mar 08, 02:17

dminor wrote:Yah My bad. They are GPPC'S. Oh well Back to lurking. :oops:
Don't try to fire them without a big mount, the recoil will knock you through the back bulkhead! :roll:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”