Are you looking forward to X Online Universe (XOU)?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poll ended at Fri, 26. Dec 03, 11:43

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 91

Stone-D

Post by Stone-D » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 11:43

I'm not.

A) I prefer single player games.
B) Never been drawn to multiplaying,
C) especially if you have to pay for it
D) but if I did, I would wait for the vapourware that is Elite 4.

Besides, it'd be a PK fest. By the time it wasn't a PK fest, 80% of the population would have left in disgust.
--
Look, no SIG!

thecwby
x3

Post by thecwby » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 11:49

Definately not for this game. It would be 'okay', I guess so to speak, if you could 'control' the users and how the game is played, but of course, you have your stupid hackers and such out there that will SPOIL the game play for everyone. Creating exploits and killing people, factories, ships, enterprises..

Unfortunately, you can't garuntee that won't happen in a Multiplayer world. Sure, MP is fine for 3d shooters and RPG's such as Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, etc.. But I wouldn't suggest it for X2. I'm rather thrilled Egosoft didnt embed MP into the game and made it single player only. Although it would be nice to play with/against other people, but whats to say you build some huge enterprise, go away for a few hours, only to come back to find it ALL DESTROYED by some stupid 15 year old kid who decided he was bored and wrote an exploit to screw you up just because you placed your factory where he wanted his, or killed his pirate ship.

I definately vote NO on MP for this game. It would completely ruin gameplay for end users who ENJOY playing the game and PLAY IT FAIRLY.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 11:53

Well, my main problem with multiplayer games is the fact that I am stuck on a pair gain due to the cheap and very incompetent Telstra network planners so my maximum speed I can connect to the net at is 28.8K!!

Not even a 56K modem can drag more than 28.8K from this stupid pair gain, ADSL incompatible, cableless part of town I live in (despite my local exchange being ADSL enabled).

Of course, despite the fact that cable is NOT available at my address, Telstra/Bigpond happily send out special cable broadband offers mailed to my exact address!! They are clueless!!!

ShadowRAM
x3ap

Post by ShadowRAM » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 11:59

First of all I am looking forward to the European Release of X! :D

But I do not like Multiplayer Online Only Games where you have to pay to play. If you pay money for a game that is ok, but you keep paying every month and if you don't like to pay any more you cannot play this game any more until you pay. That is something I do not like and I probably will not participate in. Unless... It is really, really inexpensive like about 5 Euros per month - but still then I really would consider because I do not like the concept...

I AM a great X-Series Fan though...

Chayton Warrior
x2

Post by Chayton Warrior » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 12:20

Simple No:

A: I dont pay twice for a thing
B: The internet has not yet the technoligy in hosting such a thing, its way too big for it, those games dont work, in 10 years it may look diffrent but not yet.
C: people have no fantasy anymore, you cant get pulled into the univers because its simple "just a human" no "He is Eric whatever, he was born in that system, left his family, etc" SP has more deepness.

wile.e
x2

Post by wile.e » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 14:31

thecwby wrote:Definately not for this game. It would be 'okay', I guess so to speak, if you could 'control' the users and how the game is played, but of course, you have your stupid hackers and such out there that will SPOIL the game play for everyone. Creating exploits and killing people, factories, ships, enterprises..

Unfortunately, you can't garuntee that won't happen in a Multiplayer world. Sure, MP is fine for 3d shooters and RPG's such as Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, etc.. But I wouldn't suggest it for X2. I'm rather thrilled Egosoft didnt embed MP into the game and made it single player only. Although it would be nice to play with/against other people, but whats to say you build some huge enterprise, go away for a few hours, only to come back to find it ALL DESTROYED by some stupid 15 year old kid who decided he was bored and wrote an exploit to screw you up just because you placed your factory where he wanted his, or killed his pirate ship.

I definately vote NO on MP for this game. It would completely ruin gameplay for end users who ENJOY playing the game and PLAY IT FAIRLY.
Um you obviously not really up on multiplayer gaming, no offense. But its quite the oposite cheating was fairly frequent in many 3d shooters, however recently anti cheating programs are coming out as well as being built into the games.

As apposed to in MMOGs there can't really be as much cheating as the developer is always releasing patches which can also fix any loop holes or problems within the game. Also in a MMORPG it is unlikely that you by yourself will be able to start a buisness with stations by your self, and is more likely it will require at least a few players to run/start it.
<end rant>

But to the question at hand, while a space exploration(like Eve or XOnline) would be my prefered MMOG. I simply can't/won't bring myself to paying each month to play agame.

A client/server type set up similar to Neverwinter Nights, where you could have persistant worlds run by indipendent people would be good. However i would love for them to include LAN play so me and a friend maybe a few more, could create our own empire or even start competitive empires.
Last edited by wile.e on Fri, 19. Dec 03, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

raskor414
x2

Post by raskor414 » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 14:54

I bought EVE and played it for awhile. But, when my 30 days was up I cancelled. While it was beautiful, it was utterly boring and devoid of content. It was pvp, and I knew that when I started, but a band of smacktards (they called themselves pirates) setup camp within Empire space (read: Newbie space) and used every exploit they could think of to kill anything that moved. They went so far as to drop tons of canisters so that when you warped in, you were dead or near dead before the screen even appeared on your end! And the devs refused to deal with the problem.

That same kinda stuff, essentially, happened in Tradewars 2002, well excluding the exploits. But it all comes down to $$$. When I was playing Tradewars, all it costed was my time. The BBS's that I paid to be on, I was there for other reasons. Since I was paying just to play Eve, I was not willing to put up with that nonsense.

So, if X-Online is going to let a scenario like that play out, count me out.

Call me carebear if you want, I just don't find fun in being preyed upon by people who get their jollies ruining everyone else's.
MSI 875P NEO
P4 2.8c w/ HT enabled
1g Crucial PC3200
Radeon 9600XT 128m
SB Live XGamer

shawnchesak
x3

Not me either.

Post by shawnchesak » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 17:36

I'm not looking forward to it. I no longer play MMO games, basically for similiar reasons to what others have already stated.

While I love going online and playing a good game with friends, in the MMO games, you end up surrounded by a lot of !@#$%. I would have loved it if X2 had a multiplayer feature where one could run a server from home where all your friends can join in...but as a MMO, count me out.

Xebec22
x3

I prefer Single Player, but..

Post by Xebec22 » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 18:23

C'mon guys.. I definitely prefer Single player over Multi player typically myself.. but why would you *not* look forward to X Online Universe?.

I'm looking forward to development of the X-Universe regardless of what format it's in.. Hell, I'd like a mini port for Pocket PC so I can sign into the X-Universe during these boring teleconferences at work and build up my trade empire :-)

I have tried a couple of MMORPGs (never more than 2 months), and they were good to a point.. but I think Egosoft is taking the right direction and building the game so it has enough of it's own momentum so it's not just a 'get drunk with your friends, and spend too much time leveling up' type fest.. at least I hope that is what is their intention ;-).

So people who prefer single player mode -- you can *still* look forward to XOU. It means X for a much longer time!
-- John

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 19:35

I prefer single player games when they are of the genre / nature of X².

But I'm looking forward to X-OU if only to spread the X word.

And I'll play both.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 19:52

raskor414 wrote: Call me carebear if you want, I just don't find fun in being preyed upon by people who get their jollies ruining everyone else's.

`kin A :thumb_up:

every bleeding time with every bleeding online game,too many turds out there to get full fun..

Xurethax
x2

Post by Xurethax » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 20:06

Not really looking fowards to X2-OL but I hope it comes out like about a year from now.

I already know that multiplayer is horror 101% because its not just "Play multiplayer and interact with 100s of other players!", but there seems to be high level players always going after the first comers. Just imagine, 8 high levels vs 1 newbie.

Well Jumpgate doesn't have that many player/newbie killers because its been around for a long time.

The true fact is, in most mmorpg, pirating(as in killing another player to get cargo) is the most profitable way in the game.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 20:16

Many established guilds already have a policy of non-agression to new players, but I guess we'll have to wait for the game until we find out. There may even be guilds established to protect new players :wink: but who really knows yet?
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

moore+
x2

Post by moore+ » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 20:16

No way. MMO's are always bug-fests. I can't imagine that combined with the general X bugginess. MMO-Daggerfall is the only thing that'd scare me more, hehe.

Toolfan

Post by Toolfan » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 20:31

I have a huge group of friends I can play with it, if it works out like freelancer where you can host your own servers then that will be cool, i'll start up my own server and password protect it. It is going to be a lot of fun. And dont even get me started if it also supports LAN.

Besides guys, think about the fun you can have in destroying other peoples space stations and such. Dont want to destroyed? Then just make an alliance with people or work out treaties. Find ways to protect your stations. I really doubt anyone is going to out and use exploits to destory players space stations. You guys are just being paranoid in my opinion. Multiplayer is going to be a lot of fun, and a lot more challenging. The thought of having to actually worry about my factorys and protect them is a cool idea because currently X2 is very play safe friendly. No worries about NPC's destroying you or your factories.

Dhruin
x3tc

Post by Dhruin » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 21:44

No. Been disappointed with every MMO I've tried. I've come to realise their combination of level treadmill and the lack of individual player focus doesn't work for me.

Ultimately, I want a game to focus on me. I want to save the world or destroy the world or whatever. Because an MMO has to cater for thousands of people it can't focus on individuals. Nothing like doing a mission and realising that everyone playing has already gone on the same quest to kill the Evil King of Foozle to destroy the immersion.[/i]

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 22:24

Well I am definitly looking forward to X Online. If It does attract
to many PKers, well I can always leave. I intend too have so much defence around each factory complex that war against may will be too expensive for most to even consider.

I'm not against PvP or piracy, I do hope piracy will be fairly controlled tho so losses can be made up in a reasonable time and that any PvP is consensual or at least confined to certain badland sectors, or both.

Wars should also be possible but mutualy agreed on, so you won't be surprised to logon one day and find everything gone, because you will have already agreed to the war!

CanadianBrit
x4

Re: Are you looking forward to X Online Universe (XOU)?

Post by CanadianBrit » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 22:28

Stone-D wrote:I'm not.

A) I prefer single player games.
B) Never been drawn to multiplaying,
C) especially if you have to pay for it
D) but if I did, I would wait for the vapourware that is Elite 4.

Besides, it'd be a PK fest. By the time it wasn't a PK fest, 80% of the population would have left in disgust.
Good points there. I just voted yes though, and I did it because ultimeately I think that those of us that have been around awhile (and some of the new guys eventually), would really like the interaction of this enviroment. I know many guys have joined clans and guilds, and formed friendships and so on, and IMHO I think it woiuld be cool.

Oh forgot to mentions our female brethren in all that!

Faze
x2

Post by Faze » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 23:15

None of it should be a problem if "Shadow Team" fulfil their expectations. :) :) :) :)

:p
:p
;p
No point in running.
You will just DIE tired!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak !

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Fri, 19. Dec 03, 23:42

Not at all. I just don't play MMO games. Stone-D's reasons practically mirror my own.

Now, if there were LAN play, with a "save-state" universe... Now, THAT would be cool. Think Diablo 2, not Dungeon Siege. :wink:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”