PSG weapons in X3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tinkles Inc.
x3tc

PSG weapons in X3

Post by Tinkles Inc. » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 21:17

Does anyone use PSG weapons in X3 as their primary weapon ?

I ask because I used them religously in X2, great for Kha'ak clusters. I found that because I'm not a great combat pilot I could get in the fight if I had PSG's, whereas with conventional weapons I couldn't score enough hits often enough. The only drawback being the splash damage to friendlies thing.

But in X3 combat SEEEMS alot easier and I haven't used PSG's yet, are they worth it as a Primary weapon or are they really only good for missile defence now?

Daveofthewood
x3

Post by Daveofthewood » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 21:56

Sorry to let you down dude but PSG's aren't as good in this game, their range and damage has been reduced. If your going for a fighter stick with Hept's and PAC's, if you were gunna turn an odyseuss into a PSG wagon.....DON'T its the biggest waste of money ever and you'll be raped by the K's and J's and any khaak capitals but they are still good for clusters and lots of baddies.

Perfect destroyer loadout= Split Python 8 Gppc's up front (they rock in this game) Beta and Alpha flak artillery everywhere else. Use the front guns to wipe out M1's and M2's whilst the Flaks destroy the fighters.....Oh and dont forget to strafe!!!!

hope thats cleared things up!
Too close for missiles, switching to guns

Bomber198
x3

Post by Bomber198 » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 22:21

Daveofthewood wrote:Sorry to let you down dude but PSG's aren't as good in this game, their range and damage has been reduced. If your going for a fighter stick with Hept's and PAC's, if you were gunna turn an odyseuss into a PSG wagon.....DON'T its the biggest waste of money ever and you'll be raped by the K's and J's and any khaak capitals but they are still good for clusters and lots of baddies.

Perfect destroyer loadout= Split Python 8 Gppc's up front (they rock in this game) Beta and Alpha flak artillery everywhere else. Use the front guns to wipe out M1's and M2's whilst the Flaks destroy the fighters.....Oh and dont forget to strafe!!!!

hope thats cleared things up!
Totally Agree with you Daveofthewood, this destroyer and loadout is the way forward :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D
Remember, somedays you are the pigeon
and somedays you are the statue!!!

teladianium
x3

Post by teladianium » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 22:30

the Oddy or Hyperion with GPSG on the front is still a mean meachine but not the best... I would agree that a Pheonix or Python with GPPC on the front and top would be better.

fiksal
x4

Re: PSG weapons in X3

Post by fiksal » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 23:00

Tinkles Inc. wrote:Does anyone use PSG weapons in X3 as their primary weapon ?
I dont own a capital ship yet, but as far as fighters go - no, not as a primary.
Though I do have Perseus Raider, with AHEPTs, BPACs and BPSG (sometimes replaced with APSGs).
Tinkles Inc. wrote: I ask because I used them religously in X2, great for Kha'ak clusters.
They still are.

Tinkles Inc. wrote: But in X3 combat SEEEMS alot easier and I haven't used PSG's yet, are they worth it as a Primary weapon or are they really only good for missile defence now?
They are excellent for missiles defence, especially against missile-spamming Xenon.

While in Perseus Raider, I make sure I have at least 3 PSGs. I switch to the wall of PSG fire when: there are a lot of M4 or smaller crafts in one group; a couple M3s are flying together; my weapon energy is low; I am fighting TL or corvette class ship.

With PR it comes down to
hitting fast and hard VS hitting many with moderate-high damage.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 00:59

They are still useful against khaak as they still have their trademark paper-thin hulls. :D

I think the main reason why they are so much weaker relatively now is that they fixed the exploit where a single PSG wave would hit large targets multiple times each blast. This is why it was easy to kill cap ships with PSGs in X2.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 01:46

Using the Hyperion and mounting all the PSG I could I flew through Moo Kyes Revenge once.
In my wake I left 8 disabled fighters and countless ones got incinerated right away.

It's the poor man's flak. =)

For planned capping I'd still use PBE but for cutting a path through a large pack of... stuff... it works well.
Oh yah. And missiles ceased to exist as a weapon in that sector since the Hyperion was emitting an expanding cloud of pain nearly nonstop.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 08:21

aka1nas wrote: I think the main reason why they are so much weaker relatively now is that they fixed the exploit where a single PSG wave would hit large targets multiple times each blast. This is why it was easy to kill cap ships with PSGs in X2.
It's still easy to kill cap ships with PSGs in X3. Try taking a Hyperion with 4xGPSG on its front turrets into a Xenon sector and attack the nearest capital ship--even if you rely solely on the PSGs to do damage that cap ship will be dead in less than 30 seconds.

Tinkles Inc.
x3tc

Post by Tinkles Inc. » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 12:45

Daveofthewood wrote:...If your going for a fighter stick with Hept's and PAC's...
Which is what I'll do. Thanks.

I suspected as much, but since I hadn't used an X3 PSG for myself I wasn't totally sure.

The destroyer load-out sounds cool, I'll give it a go...when I get to that level.

Charlie Whiskey
x3tc

Post by Charlie Whiskey » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 13:49

A Medusa with PSGs can quite comfortably take on a cluster all by itself. Of course, be a smart boy and take out the fighter first as always. :wink:
"WhiskeyCorp - The universe's local monopoly" (TM)

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 15:51

PSG's in the M7 remind me of PSG's in X2 because the M7 has the speed to do the business up close and personal. However the suposidly high tech Paranid X3 Ody with its very low speed has had its heart ripped out with a very blunt spoon.

The PSG's just don't quite reach far enough even the gammas to be really effective fighter defence in relation to energy usage. While they are far too short range against PPC using capitol ships. This is a bit sad since the ODY is the only ship able to use gammas as far as I know. the Gammas at least should have remained a bit special after all they always had a built in disadvantage - friendly fire! Instead you have to use the [inferior, water bag, two eyed] Argon, designed PPC's I find this most shameful! Shame on the sad individuals who nagged EGOSOFT about the overly powerful PSG's go fly a TITAN then you, you... words fail!

EDIT: Any folks out their that thinks something anything is too good please, please keep it to yourself. If you don't like it just don't use it don't spoil it for the other folks. I am a fan of unbalanced gaming. In real life soldiers don't complain that their machine gun is better than their enemies rifles etc. The PSG had as I said built in dissadvantages and the ODY is very very expensive and you also need to make nice with the paranid to get one that is all the balance you need. Damn Two Eyed Argon, Paranid Three Eye envy as usual!
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Tinkles Inc.
x3tc

Post by Tinkles Inc. » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 22:12

pjknibbs wrote: Try taking a Hyperion with 4xGPSG on its front turrets into a Xenon sector and attack the nearest capital ship--even if you rely solely on the PSGs to do damage that cap ship will be dead in less than 30 seconds.
4 x GPSG's? You must have a decent graphics card to handle that all the time. Last time I saw I PSG cone on screen my machine started to get abit edgy. (Radeon 9550 256MB)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 28. Feb 07, 07:36

It's only a 7600GS--hardly superpowered.

Kha'ak

Sorry !

Post by Kha'ak » Wed, 28. Feb 07, 17:47

Indeed, I used them as my primary weapon late in the X2 game, equipped on Osprey, Nemesis and, of course, the Odysseus.

But, like all the good things in X2, X3-Reunion changed this weapon into something slow and useless ! Sadly, indeed !!! :(

mistwolf_2k
x3

Post by mistwolf_2k » Wed, 28. Feb 07, 19:50

The trick to PSG's on turrets (ie. Hyperion) is to load it with all PSG's except throw in a longer range weapon in one slot in each turret. That way they start shooting a longer ways out. If you come on a PPC firing cap ship approach from straight ahead and slightly under. As you approach strafe to avoid the insanely slow PPC "marshmellows of doom." Once almost directly underneath the cap ship you have no fear of flaks and you WILL annhilate the cap ship in a matter of seconds.
If left-handed people use the right side of their brain doesn't it only stand to reason that only left-handed people are in thier right mind.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200~, ASUS M2R32-MVP
Radeon X1950 Crossfire
2GB DDR2 800

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”