Attacking pirate base and me and my wingmen randomly explode

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrsack
x3tc

Attacking pirate base and me and my wingmen randomly explode

Post by mrsack » Thu, 1. Mar 07, 18:50

Ok, I got bored and thought it would be fun to try to take out a Pirate base with my wingmen the other day. Well, we start attacking and after a long time I hear an explosion and one of my wingmen is gone, then a minute later another. I went back to a save point and did it again keeping my eyes peeled for incoming fighters, but there were none and they still exploded. I gave up. Today I have a better ship with more Wingmen so I thought I'd try again, and this time MY ship randomly blows up after shooting at the Pirate ship for a few minutes....is there some magical invisible missile or something that they have? :?

R.Bootneck
x4

Post by R.Bootneck » Thu, 1. Mar 07, 18:55

They could have been running foul of Squash mines.
Nasty little blighters when in sector, don't show up on sector map unless you scan for them using the "target nearest enemy" in you personal ship to scan for them ... make short work of anything smaller than an M6

CraftyPilot

Post by CraftyPilot » Thu, 1. Mar 07, 18:58

That is why I go to Pirate Sectors with Titans or set up Titan patrols with M6 wingmen in such sectors. The SQUASH mine is deadlier than a troupe of Pirate Novas.

Andaius

Post by Andaius » Thu, 1. Mar 07, 19:00

Not everyone has Titans you know.....

mrsack
x3tc

Post by mrsack » Thu, 1. Mar 07, 19:01

I had my ship completely stopped though, unless they spawned a mine on me

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 1. Mar 07, 19:03

R.Bootneck wrote:They could have been running foul of Squash mines.
Nasty little blighters when in sector, don't show up on sector map unless you scan for them using the "target nearest enemy" in you personal ship to scan for them ... make short work of anything smaller than an M6
It takes several to take out an M3 with 75MJ shielding. They're only really dangerous to M4's and M5's (and Mamba Raiders). If mrsack is flying an M4 or smaller, then yes, he's probably running afoul of SQUASH mines.
is there some magical invisible missile or something that they have?
Have you been using Hammerheads/Unknown Objects types of missiles? Or is there a pirate fighter somewhere in the sector that could have fired one at you? They have a blast radius of over a km, and if you fire one too close to a target, you'll die instantly.

Assuming X3 here. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”