PBE problems!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pyre
x3ap

PBE problems!

Post by Pyre » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 14:42

Howdy all,

I just grabbed a script that adds a Yaki shipyard and EQ dock to Senetor's, and decided to try out the susanowa (im sure i spelled that wrong), since it could mount PBE's.

Now, ive only seen PBE's being allowed on larger ships, so i thought they would be Kha'ak like railguns, or at least those blue bolts (faster then PPCS) on caps... (they turned out to be CIGs :( )

Anyway... whacked on the APBEs.. and lo and behold, a lone pirate nova coming to check me out. Now, up to now, ive never seen PBEs in action, so i was pretty keen... until i realised that at about 2kms... i still wasnt getting an effective weapon's crosshair...Turns out i can spit further then the APBE....

Is that true with all PBE's? I mean.. the RoF is awesome... but pointless if i need to touch the craft im shooting...

Hence, i'd like to ask.. what are the respective ranges for A/B/G? PBEs and what do you guys use em for?

Cheers

Tarcon.
x3tc

Post by Tarcon. » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 14:48

Hmm, not sure about range, very close indeed, I've never found a real use for these. I guess others have with differing tactics... For me, the BHEPT are the go in general.
Boundless intemperance in nature is a tyranny; it hath been th' untimely emptying of the happy throne, and the fall of many kings.

DDM_Reaper20
x3tc

Re: PBE problems!

Post by DDM_Reaper20 » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 15:02

Pyre wrote:Howdy all,

I just grabbed a script that adds a Yaki shipyard and EQ dock to Senetor's, and decided to try out the susanowa (im sure i spelled that wrong), since it could mount PBE's.

Now, ive only seen PBE's being allowed on larger ships, so i thought they would be Kha'ak like railguns, or at least those blue bolts (faster then PPCS) on caps... (they turned out to be CIGs :( )

Anyway... whacked on the APBEs.. and lo and behold, a lone pirate nova coming to check me out. Now, up to now, ive never seen PBEs in action, so i was pretty keen... until i realised that at about 2kms... i still wasnt getting an effective weapon's crosshair...Turns out i can spit further then the APBE....

Is that true with all PBE's? I mean.. the RoF is awesome... but pointless if i need to touch the craft im shooting...

Hence, i'd like to ask.. what are the respective ranges for A/B/G? PBEs and what do you guys use em for?

Cheers
PBEs are close-range weapons, excellent against shields, poor against hull.

Their rate of fire and muzzle velocity means they are deadly against small, agile targets.

The alpha version has an effective range of 900m, the beta reaches about 100m farther.

I use them for capping, mainly, as they eat up shields and don't damage the ship otherwise.

They are perfectly balanced as they are -- give them a longer reach, and every other weapon would be . . . crappy. ;)

Chemical-mix
x3tc

Post by Chemical-mix » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 16:44

Hi mate, try out this site:

http://www.hentschke-keramik.de/rmh/x3_weapons.xls

Its has all the weapon ranges and effects.

Hope it helps
"I came, I saw, I crumbled"

cucomiguel
x3

Post by cucomiguel » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 16:44

I have 4 Beta PBE's on my LX for capping purposes. Great against Falcon and Novas to drop their shields quickly. Instant kill against Harrier and Buzzards, no escape, a tap on the trigger are they are gone.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 17:15

For my LX I use 8 BPBE and 8 AHEPT and switch them via script.

Once shields are gone I switch to the Green Death(tm) because PBE are rather inefficient at actually killing anything.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Treachery
x3tc

Post by Treachery » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 17:30

I use 2 APBEs and 6 AHEPTs on my LX. different weapon groups, PBEs are always on. Weapon groups range from 2 HEPTs, 4 HEPTs, and 6 HEPTs with both PBEs. 1 group is 2 HEPTs only. I find this makes capping very quick. just wait til you are within just under 1KM of target and open up for about 2 or 3 seconds with all weapons. 6 HEPTs and 2 PBEs I usually get at least one pilot to bail in a group of 3 or more pilots. By the time your HEPT fire gets there sheilds are gone. Vary this according to the type of ship you are shooting at. ie, M5 2 HEPTs, 2 PBEs. etc etc.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 17:48

Hmm... with all this talk about weapon switching - I think I'll hack Bunny's Weapon Changer to automatically switch to another weapon set once the target's shields drop. =P
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 18:08

You've actually stumbled into one of the great questions of the game there, Pyre--why DO Egosoft allow a gun with a maximum range of less than a kilometre to be installed on a capital ship turret? It's one of the eternal mysteries of life... :-)

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 18:20

For PBE's on fighters I consider 1 km to be a very long range because they never miss. Personally I don't even bother firing AHEPT's at the fighter before I close within ~0.5km, and I find the ability to destroy M4/5's from 1km range absolutely adorable. You'd think that BKyons with their 3+ km range should be awesome ... until you try them.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 18:44

The adorable speed of PBE is also their main problem. They are too fast.
With even a little lag they often pass through ships without hitting so even though they are "on target", only half or less would actually hit the ship.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Thu, 22. Mar 07, 20:25

I love the apbe's on my LX. I use them all the time I think there is even the slightest possibility of a bail.

When the enemy ship is hit, it will try to evade. With pbe's they can't stop evading long enough to return fire.

Range? pah! Who actually fires hept's at more than 400 metres in a dogfight anyway?

But yes as capital ship weapons, I have to agree, they are useless.

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Fri, 23. Mar 07, 12:41

pjknibbs wrote:You've actually stumbled into one of the great questions of the game there, Pyre--why DO Egosoft allow a gun with a maximum range of less than a kilometre to be installed on a capital ship turret? It's one of the eternal mysteries of life... :-)
Maybe for those of us that prefer the ramming style of ship captaincy :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”