CIG's....

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Crazypagey
x3

CIG's....

Post by Crazypagey » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 06:19

Started tracking down all the hidden CIG's scattered around (with some help from 'Gotcha!'s Spoiler FAQ) and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. Should I.....

a) Keep them all and outfit various ships with them

b) Sell them all to reap the large cash value they hold

c) Somewhere in the middle

Are the hidden CIG's the only ones available in the game or is there some little out the way place that produces them once in a blue moon? How would you guys rate the CIG as a weapon anyway?

Cheers

CP

Akula87

Post by Akula87 » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 06:25

I find them more as novelty items than anything else. They have a use every now and then (such as breaking up roids, getting the attention of fast M4s/M5s or playing spin the bottle with TSs) but are mainly just nice to have around to say that you have them around. No factory produces them... but you can get them RARELY from destroyed pirates OR more often from assasignation missions where the TL has dropped them.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 08:13

CIGs have enormous range but that's about their only advantage. The fact they knock ships off course when they hit them is cool the first couple of times, but you'll soon be cursing that when most of your shots are missing because the ship is no longer on the same course it was flying when the shots were fired!

An all-CIG loadout might work for really long range fighting against capital ships, I suppose, but I can't think of another situation where they're especially useful.

Gotcha!
x3tc

Re: CIG's....

Post by Gotcha! » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 09:46

Crazypagey wrote:Are the hidden CIG's the only ones available in the game or is there some little out the way place that produces them once in a blue moon?
They can't be produced but apart from the secret crates you can sometimes find them on some pirate ships.
My boron friends just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt.

pccenter
xr

Post by pccenter » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 10:24

In assasination missions some ships have them also. :wink:

To OP.
I keep any CIG's i found because i don't need the cash and i can't produse them if i need them.

Crazypagey
x3

Post by Crazypagey » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 14:04

Thanks guys,

I've decided to go for somewhere in the middle, seeing as they don't seem to have a massive tactical advantage over anything I dont feel the need to horde them all

Found about 9 so far and the cash is really helping me push my bank balance up (been playing around 3 game days, but spent a while doing the plot before deciding to go off in my own direction.)

Thanks again for the help

Chemical-mix
x3tc

Post by Chemical-mix » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 17:51

Sorry, but what is a CIG???
"I came, I saw, I crumbled"

VioletRapture

Post by VioletRapture » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 18:00

Chemical-mix wrote:Sorry, but what is a CIG???
Concussion Impuslse Generator.

Basically it throws ships around.
Proud Boron fanatic.
Split say - AAAAAAGGGHH!!

Chemical-mix
x3tc

Post by Chemical-mix » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 18:08

Ahhh, i still aint found one!!!! Anyone got a hint, or a link to Gotcha's info??

Treachery
x3tc

Post by Treachery » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 18:18

I like CIGs and all, but I mostly grab them for the cash. I only kept the first crate of them I found, threw them into my Mamba. I really don't fly that Mamba much anymore as I have since scored me an LX, which can't mount CIGs. You only really need one CIG on a ship. They don't do much hull damage just throw the trajectory off of the ship you shoot at. Works well when you are behind them and they have a turret. I actually stopped looking for the remaining ones as I new it was easy money so I wanted to save some for later. the crate in Light waters has four CIGs in it. thats the biggest load I found in my game.

Chemical-mix
x3tc

Post by Chemical-mix » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 18:20

Light Water. thanks. Any co-ords/ general idea whereabouts in the sector

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 19:08

It's always bugged me that I couldn't find a use for them.

The other day I saw a Titan firing a whole turret of CIGs at a cluster.
The cluster had split, but only just. So were still in a small sort of ball shape.

The CIG fire just rolled the entire little ball about in the sector (It looked quite funny actually), until the Sector patrol M6's mashed it with HEPTs.

I've been trying to replicate the 'cluster rolling' in my LX but no luck so far. :(

VioletRapture

Post by VioletRapture » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 20:27

TBV wrote:It's always bugged me that I couldn't find a use for them.

The other day I saw a Titan firing a whole turret of CIGs at a cluster.
The cluster had split, but only just. So were still in a small sort of ball shape.

The CIG fire just rolled the entire little ball about in the sector (It looked quite funny actually), until the Sector patrol M6's mashed it with HEPTs.

I've been trying to replicate the 'cluster rolling' in my LX but no luck so far. :(

In recent news, a new, deadly game has been invented by the outcast communities and pirate community - Kha'ak Ball. The game involves using unique weapons known as Concussion Impulse Generators, or CIG's for short. Two ships engage in a head-on match, and the first to launch a Kha'ak Scout into the opposing ship to the point of the Scout's destruction is the winner.
Proud Boron fanatic.
Split say - AAAAAAGGGHH!!

Treachery
x3tc

Post by Treachery » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 20:36

Sorry Chemical, I am at work so I dont have coords on me. when I get home this afternoon I will see if you have gotten them yet, and if not post them. otherwise you can look in the stickies for X3 guides. There is an excel spreadsheeet with multiple tabs consisting of Free ships, CIGs, Free wares, as well as where to buy all ships in X3.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 27. Mar 07, 21:08

I think http://users.altecnet.gr/pccenter/x3reunion.xls is the sheet you're talking about (major spoilers, obviously...).

Treachery
x3tc

Post by Treachery » Wed, 28. Mar 07, 00:18

yup thats the one. get that puppy and you will have all you need as far as free junk.

DGagov
x3fl

Post by DGagov » Wed, 28. Mar 07, 01:05

I have found some use for CIGs, I used them early in the game on my Mamba rider to kill Xenon P patrols, knocking 1 ship away from the others and finishing it with HEPTs or MDs ... took me some time to kill them all but it did the job :)

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Wed, 28. Mar 07, 17:15

Agreed, I have 2 on the front and it works really well for culling out a ship from a convoy.

My first taste of this was taking on a xenon invasion mission. I attracted all the smaller ships -- P, LX, L, M from the J and then the CIGs allowed me to push each ship, in turn, out of that group to finish it off without being overly bothered by the rest.

In that mission I think that the only ship the NPC defense fleet destroyed was the J, I racked up 16 kills. The CIGs really seemed to make the job easy since I expect if the rest of the groups was close enough to me and my quarry it would have been much harder.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”