Jumpdrive question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

trader dal
x3

Jumpdrive question

Post by trader dal » Sun, 1. Apr 07, 19:31

Hi all, I have a jumpdrive in my own ship but when I buy new ships it seems the only way to equip them with a jumpdrive is to command them to fly all the way to the Goner temple - which takes ages for some ships. Is there a way I could buy a stock of them to fit on new ships that I buy ?

Regards.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Sun, 1. Apr 07, 19:34

Unfortunately not.

There is one more place you can buy it though.

EDIT: Sorry, 2 more places.

Silver^Sun

Re: Jumpdrive question

Post by Silver^Sun » Sun, 1. Apr 07, 19:39

trader dal wrote:Hi all, I have a jumpdrive in my own ship but when I buy new ships it seems the only way to equip them with a jumpdrive is to command them to fly all the way to the Goner temple - which takes ages for some ships. Is there a way I could buy a stock of them to fit on new ships that I buy ?

Regards.
Yes you can do something:
buy argon disco and land it in argon temple
each time you planning to buy a ship thats needs JD
tell the disko to buy one then tell him to jump to the sector where
you buy the ship and transfare the JD to the new ship.
Tell the disco to fly all the way back to the Goner Temple and land there.
thats it
X3 Reunion - My Virtual Paradise!

rubbel4
x3

Post by rubbel4 » Sun, 1. Apr 07, 19:39

Buy some M3/4/5 fighters, capable of carrying a jumpdrive. Dock them in your TL/M1/M7. Jump to the ships you wish to equip. Transfer the jumpdrives on a station or with a transporter.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 02:23

a carrier with jd capable ships also is worth a try... alternately just jump the carrier or heavy transport into the system with the new ship, dock, jump and then you can dock your new ship with the g-temple.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 02:24

There is a script out there, jumpdrive kits, that allows the purchace of a ware, that is later transfored into a jumpdrive via a command. You may want to look into that.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 03:08

Lancefighter wrote:There is a script out there, jumpdrive kits, that allows the purchace of a ware, that is later transfored into a jumpdrive via a command. You may want to look into that.
u could also usse the advanced jumpdrive script which you can buy and hold multiple stocks of them in your ship

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 17:29

The use of the Argon Discover as a 'Jumpdrive Exchange' taxi is ok when just doing one or two ships at a time.

For more ships, for smaller ships (fighters) - I have a Split Elephant with a jumpdrive, and use it to shuttle any fighters I buy to the nearest jumprive shop. An elephant can carry 14 ships, and costs less than an XL solar power station. I think of it as a mobile docking station, but is much more than that.

For large ships - I use this for equipping TS class fleets, as I like to set up UT's 10 at a time - you need:
1 Split Elephant with jumpdrive and transporter device fitted.
14 Discoverers in its docking bay, all of which you purchased from the Argon Shipyard, and have fitted out with jumpdrives from the nearby sector.
You Jump to the sector where the shipyard is. Buy your transport fleet. Order all ships to follow you. Use the freight beamer to transfer your jumpdrives to the ships. (selecting your docked ships, use internal freight exchange for each jumpdrive). I have 5 split elephants, and 2 are set up exclusively for this purpose (one empty, one on standby with 14 J.D. Discoverers).

The Elephant can easily stock 15000 energy cells, you can use this opportunity to stock them all up with energy cells, fighter drones, weapons etc. One drawback is you have to be personally on the bridge - can't do it using the remote freight transfer function (talking about jumdrive and transporter device transfer - not other items).

Split Shipyards are all fairly remote from where you can buy jumpdrives and transporter devices, so you will have to do a bit of taxi-ing to initially equip an Elephant. (also helps if you have a freighter transport to transfer energy cells to it).
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

western
x3tc

Post by western » Mon, 2. Apr 07, 18:22

No need to buy Disco's, just use junk ships you have capped. Saves money!

Just make sure they have M freight holds.
If things don't change, they'll stay as they are.

DjHol

Post by DjHol » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 12:02

TBV wrote:Unfortunately not.

There is one more place you can buy it though.

EDIT: Sorry, 2 more places.
aside from the Goner Temple in CloudbaseSW...
and TerraCorpHQ in HomeOfLight...

Where else can one buy a jumpdrive? (and transporter device)
So far, thats the only sector/station I know. T_T

And Im on the stage of setting up my very first HQ.
Id like to put it somewhere near a station that sells jumpdrive.

(Can I put jumpdrive in my HQ? So I can equip ships that will be built there?)
Last edited by DjHol on Thu, 3. Apr 08, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

edammer
xr

Post by edammer » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 12:08

In X3, JD can also be bought from:-
Spoiler
Show
Teracorp HQ in Home Of Light
Goner Equipment Dock in Elysium Of Light

DjHol

Post by DjHol » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 12:37

edammer wrote:In X3, JD can also be bought from:-
Spoiler
Show
Teracorp HQ in Home Of Light
Goner Equipment Dock in Elysium Of Light
thanks! I took a closer look...
and for some reason, the...
Spoiler
Show
Equipment Dock in Elysium Of Light is named:
"Argon Equipment Dock"
T_T

edammer
xr

Post by edammer » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 12:39

Could be called that.

The X3 Reunion Active Map called it Goner but it could be wrong.

As long as it still sells JD's it the right one.

quanta_nomad

Post by quanta_nomad » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 13:08

Still, i think purchasing JD or Trade MK3 has been made a hassle for no good reason. Hope they are treated as wares in TC.
the only guilty man in Shawshank

edammer
xr

Post by edammer » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 13:14

quanta_nomad wrote:Still, i think purchasing JD or Trade MK3 has been made a hassle for no good reason. Hope they are treated as wares in TC.
As a JD is just a piece of equipment after all.

Trade MkIII is a systems extension so if it counted as software you could say you can't install 2 versions.

Maybe you could have a systems extension storage unit that you can buy and load software on to.

Orion JMD
x3

Post by Orion JMD » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 14:19

edammer wrote:
quanta_nomad wrote:Still, i think purchasing JD or Trade MK3 has been made a hassle for no good reason. Hope they are treated as wares in TC.
As a JD is just a piece of equipment after all.

Trade MkIII is a systems extension so if it counted as software you could say you can't install 2 versions.

Maybe you could have a systems extension storage unit that you can buy and load software on to.
Personally I like the current situation where you do have to go the extra mile to get a jump drive for your ships as well as the inventive and challenging work around(s) mentioned above.
For me the X game play set does a great job of presenting you with ongoing logistical challenges that you must overcome to get along and this is one of them.
It is treated as it should be, a rare, very valuable item, similar to the way cloaking devices were treated in various movies and shows, IE Star Trek Etc.

I do have a question though. Do NPC ships ever use Jump Drives? I can't seem to recall seeing other ships "Jump Out" or "Jump In", so to speak.

Best

JMD

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 16:21

Orion JMD wrote:I do have a question though. Do NPC ships ever use Jump Drives? I can't seem to recall seeing other ships "Jump Out" or "Jump In", so to speak.
Not as far as I know - although XI/XTM/Kha'ak ships pretend to.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Thu, 3. Apr 08, 23:25

Yea seems the best idea apart from mods will be to use a carrier/TL carrying fighters with jumpdrives.

If you use a single ship to ferry jumpdrives then you will be stuck if you use it to supply a ship you bought in lets say Family Niv.

Sending the ferry ship back to the Goner temple from there and most of the other half of the Universe on that side of sector 347 will be most unpleasant!

PS: unless you have the patience of a Tibetan Monk and can spend all your time to hold your ships hand around sector 347 instead of, um, yea, instead of actually 'playing the game'.
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

parameter
x3tc

JD supply

Post by parameter » Fri, 4. Apr 08, 12:26

philip_hughes wrote:a carrier with jd capable ships also is worth a try... alternately just jump the carrier or heavy transport into the system with the new ship, dock, jump and then you can dock your new ship with the g-temple.
That is the route I always use. It is convenient and means I also have fully loaded up fighters for instant threat response once I am in the target sector. I also use the M5's to shuttle energy back to the TL in an emergency and Falcon Haulers for bulk and lots of time. Wish they would allow TP/TS docking on TL's in Vanilla. The un-expanded cargo Mercury for instance.
Also, The EoL station in one of my games was called a Goner Temple, present one shows it as Argon Equipment Dock
:)
Last edited by parameter on Fri, 4. Apr 08, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
veneratio supernus omni

parameter
x3tc

JD supply

Post by parameter » Fri, 4. Apr 08, 12:27

Please Delete this one!

:)
Last edited by parameter on Fri, 4. Apr 08, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
veneratio supernus omni

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”