How to PROPERLY link gates

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

s9ilent
x4

How to PROPERLY link gates

Post by s9ilent » Mon, 7. May 07, 09:36

Ok, this was a help me post before, but seeing as how I just managed to solve the problem I'll put it up here.

Pretty much, incorrectly linked gates will not load, so the thing I'm going to explain in this (now edited) post is How to properly link gates

Firstly, there’s 2 things to consider, The gates ID (-1, 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b) and the subtype of gate (n, e, s, w, xenon-ie broken gate Brenan’s Triumph)
Next thing, It does not make a flying hoot (unless its the broken xenon gate) which subtype you choose, all it does is give the gate its default name, ie gates of subtype west, will be called "West gate"
And of course, how do you link the gates. In the game, gates are code-wise given n-e-s-w and this is dictated by the GATEID, which results in the ships id being of the corresponding type. Having said that, You can link what ever subtype's you want together, (eg n-s n-e n-w n-n) BUTTT!!! You can only link n-s s-n GATE ID’s together!

Where: 1a - north, 1b south, 2a west, 2b east
So a 1a can only link to a 1b, and 1b to 1a, 2a 2b, 2b 2a
However, you could give a east/west/south gate an "1a" gate id, and it will still work as long as its partner gate is a 1b.
eg Gate subtype southgate, gate id 2a
Name: "South Gate"
The gate's ship ID: "WEXX-##"
Links to: a gate with id 2B (EAXX-##)

Any way, I hoped this helped
I think this should be added to the tutorials/guide section, as theres no current post about it, and last time I asked around, I got incorrect advice

But onto the help me part of this post
In the universe map, my Sectors seem to have an elevation/decliniation and I'm not to sure how to edit that, can it be edited?
Also some of my sectors dont seem to appear at all, and the universe map freezes if i scroll over them (but I can scroll to a working system, and it will unfreeze it self... until next time I scroll over it). Is there a way to resolve this?
Last edited by s9ilent on Tue, 8. May 07, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 7. May 07, 14:18

u need to edit the galaxy bod file, which lays out the galaxy giving each sector its position.

there is a tool somewhere that allows you to create one automatically from a given map file.

which is objects/cut/00749.bod

Shovinus
x3

Post by Shovinus » Mon, 7. May 07, 17:22

Does anyone know where the tool is?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 7. May 07, 19:40

i think there was a link in the german forum, and i also think it was mentioned in the random universe generator thread, so u could try looking there

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Mon, 7. May 07, 23:37

You'll find it here:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=156854

It basically works like X2BC(bod/bob converter/compiler) by DoubleShadow.

Set path through Environment variables, and access through command-line interface-Instructions in English included..

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”