Favorite Wingmen?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Thetis
x4

Favorite Wingmen?

Post by Thetis » Thu, 10. May 07, 08:22

Hello, I have been thinking about what fighters I would best want to have as wingmen to my LX. I have heard a lot about the LX already but is there anything else that anyone prefers to use? Just tell me what you think.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 10. May 07, 08:43

Wingmen are bad. Anything following you is bad. Independent fighter wings under your command are good. 40 of anything tends to be quite good. If nothing else, they can kill the framerate. :wink:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 10. May 07, 09:20

Actually I find wingmen Xdelta quite efficient. I remember the day when I lead a wing of 5 Nova Vanguards, nothing could stop us. Hell, and I never even need to service anyone of them. Much more efficients then flying a corvette or even the M7 if you ask me, not to mention more fun as well :wink:

Of course I used a Hercules as our supply station, since having anything follow you and dock is indeed bad :roll:

However I tend to find that the M3+ makes very bad wingmen though, they seems to get hit quite often while at the same time don't hit back as hard. The Argon M3+ (for some reason I forgot the name :? right now) I had to repair it quite often when it was my wingmen, the Chimera was destroyed on several ocassion, the LX seems to do bizzare behavior overtime.

So the moral story here is if you're going to use wingmen, stick with the M3.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 10. May 07, 11:15

Wingmen are excellent but you need to learn how to use them. Always give the command to all wingmen "Dock at station" when docking - don't let them follow you. Get familiar with all the orders you can give your wingmen.

What type of wingmen for you XL, two rules:

1) best if they are faster than your ship, but certainly not slower, and have good shielding.
2) more powerful weapons often = slower, less accurate. so 'best' weapons are not necessarily most powerful.

Unless you are going into maxumum battle, like invading a Xenon/Khaak Sector treat wingmen like fighter-drones with lots of shields, weaker weapons than you, this way they distract the enemy, while you take them out - letting you get most kills. If you over-weapon them, they will get your reconition points, not you. Use the wingmen 'attack all enemies' command when in battle. This gets wingmen off your back, otherwise they get in the way.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 10. May 07, 11:16

jlehtone wrote:Wingmen are bad. Anything following you is bad. Independent fighter wings under your command are good. 40 of anything tends to be quite good. If nothing else, they can kill the framerate. :wink:
:lol:
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 10. May 07, 12:15

ThommoHawk wrote:Wingmen are excellent but you need to learn how to use them. Always give the command to all wingmen "Dock at station" when docking - don't let them follow you.
Better: a script that allows followers to automatically use the docking computer.
You dock, they dock. Clickclickclick... =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 10. May 07, 12:18

How about standing by while you are docked (into station)?

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 10. May 07, 13:44

jlehtone wrote:How about standing by while you are docked (into station)?
yes, that is good too, just when you need to tank yourself / them up with enrgy cells / weapons, they need to dock too. I have to have jump drives all the time. Also applies when docking at your carrier / TS ship.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 10. May 07, 13:54

My mode of action (fly alone) requires refuel of only two ships, mine and the carrier, which will jump in with the fighter wings in it only when needed.

Btw, XaiCorp Group Management System does offer auto-refuel for ship groups.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”