Concussion Impulse Generator??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nitromethane
x3tc

Concussion Impulse Generator??

Post by nitromethane » Mon, 14. May 07, 21:18

Concussion Impulse Generator
where can i get it?
whats it good for?
do i realy want it?

Thanks for any replies.

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Mon, 14. May 07, 21:53

You can find it floating around in space in any one of a number of sectors.

It's the opposite of a tractor beam-push instead of pull.

I'm not sure how useful it is.

viptir
x2

Post by viptir » Mon, 14. May 07, 22:41

Good against smaller fighters around your command ships. Great to have if you go roaring into a nest of Khaak scouts...
Breaking games to help ward off corporate greed-induced folly.

jumbled
x4

Post by jumbled » Tue, 15. May 07, 17:20

I tried this once on a dolphin, just to see. Sent the poor guy rolling willie-nillie, but it doesn't do much damage. And for the 25 units of space it occupies, I wonder if it's worth the space to keep it installed.

On the other hand, I suppose it COULD be useful if you fire off one or two shots on your initial run head-long into a fully decked-out pirate nova. Getting hit by it could send him tumbling out of the optimal firing angle.

Anubis_xian
x3

Post by Anubis_xian » Tue, 15. May 07, 18:13

The only true advantage with the CIG is its range.... something like 3-4 km. Damage to hull & shields is only viable on a M4/M5.

jumbled
x4

Post by jumbled » Wed, 16. May 07, 01:51

Anubis_xian wrote:The only true advantage with the CIG is its range.... something like 3-4 km. Damage to hull & shields is only viable on a M4/M5.
Yeah, about that... With this installed, even if not currently active, all my weaps show a range of about 4.5 km, even though they don't actually reach that far. I think it's probably a bug if you have a Concussion thing installed, cuz when I took it out for a bit, my ranges went back to normal.

Craig F
x3

Post by Craig F » Wed, 16. May 07, 03:44

One thing I found the CG good for is keeping a large targets shields down and still charge my guns back for another round of 6-AHEPT love on the hull
(this was used on a Pirate Station)

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Wed, 16. May 07, 05:53

I keep 2 on my Mamba all the time, great for taking out those m5s that go too fast to hit. wait for them to make a pass on you and fire off 1 or 2 shots, takes out the shields and some hull knocks down the speed and knocks them all around.

if someone is barreling down on me, I can fire off a round of cig fire, knocks them away they can't shoot me anymore but I can shoot them.

and as someone else said, you can use it to keep shields down because it uses so little energy that wepons energy recharges even while using them.

and it can be fun to knock ts's away just before they dock. it only take 1 or 2 shots and that's not enough to make them hostile.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

http://www.tildruin-mindseye.co.uk/innocent.html

dterror

Post by dterror » Wed, 16. May 07, 06:37

jumbled wrote:
Anubis_xian wrote:The only true advantage with the CIG is its range.... something like 3-4 km. Damage to hull & shields is only viable on a M4/M5.
Yeah, about that... With this installed, even if not currently active, all my weaps show a range of about 4.5 km, even though they don't actually reach that far. I think it's probably a bug if you have a Concussion thing installed, cuz when I took it out for a bit, my ranges went back to normal.
That happens with all weapons...it shows as being 'in range' according to the longest ranged weapon you have. I wasted more Mass Driver ammo due to that before I figured out what the REAL effective range was :P

CIG are actually about on par with an AHEPT.
CIG does 1500 shield, 500 hull damage for 20 energy per shot. 5km range, about half the shot rate of an AHEPT
AHEPT does 1995 shield, 332 hull damage for 40 energy per shot, 2.3km range, but fires quite fast.

Only problem is at that long of a range, accuracy is really low. It's the low accuracy that makes them ineffective against M3 ships, but still devastating to the M4/5 classes. It only takes a couple hits for them to really feel it. As someone said, it's great for taking down clusters since you can annihilate the scouts long before they get in range.

As for the way it knocks targets around, the bigger the target the less effect it has. Someone mentioned knocking a docking ship off course, but that won't work against transports. Ship doesn't budge at all when hit by a couple CIG shots.

GSS Audacity

Post by GSS Audacity » Wed, 16. May 07, 07:23

I am flying the Split Chimera with 2 CIG's, 2 AHEPT's, and 4 BPBE's, with MD's in the turrets set to Protect Ship and Missile Defense. I am a match for anything one-on-one; the CIG's keep the enemy reeling so they can't fire back. I love fighting with CIG's. Lots of caps this way, too.
When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain before him he wept, for there were no worlds left to conquer.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 16. May 07, 08:44

dterror wrote:Someone mentioned knocking a docking ship off course, but that won't work against transports. Ship doesn't budge at all when hit by a couple CIG shots.
I was flying a Caiman Hauler when Pirates chose to play. Uncontrolled spinning. You might need more than two CIG to get a TS tumble.

mrcann

Post by mrcann » Wed, 16. May 07, 09:42

The good thing about CIGs, is that you can get behind LXes, Novas, without being worried of being hit by their rear turret fire :) I always keep 2 CIGs on my personal Eclipse. Havent thought about knocking out docking transports off-course, that may result in lots of free containers floating in space :)

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Wed, 16. May 07, 19:36

dterror wrote:As for the way it knocks targets around, the bigger the target the less effect it has. Someone mentioned knocking a docking ship off course, but that won't work against transports. Ship doesn't budge at all when hit by a couple CIG shots.
the Dolphin SF I knocked half way across a sector before he exploded begs to differ, well they would if they were still alive.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

Akula87

Post by Akula87 » Wed, 16. May 07, 22:43

Putting four of them in a capital ship turret is absolutely devastating. CIGs are almost as strong round for round as AHEPT but they have almost twice the range and velocity; the only apparent down side is their slow rate of fire and rather large size. On capital ships, CIGs can hit and kill M4s/M5s in only a few rounds (which is easy because you would be firing 4 at once in my above set up) and they will stop those pesky M3s/M3+s from sitting near you and opening up their entire LASER banks over and over again. On the Odysseus and Zeus with their soft underbellies, CIGs are the PERFECT solution to mount in numbers on those bottom turrets. And last but not least the rounds are absolutely stunning and create a great light show from both up close and from afar.

nitromethane
x3tc

great

Post by nitromethane » Thu, 17. May 07, 03:23

thanks for all the great info now if i could just find them it would be great is there any pre-recs for finding them?

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Thu, 17. May 07, 06:43

try bala gi
A proud Goner!

drogeney
x4

Post by drogeney » Thu, 17. May 07, 14:47

Thought I might as well ask this here rather than start a new thread about it.

Do you have to complete Bala Gi for them to appear, get a certain distance into it, or just have the patch installed?

I have been looking for them myself and can't seem to find them, even on the exact coordinates moved to with shields down.

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Thu, 17. May 07, 14:53

I got them long before I ever did the bala gi. so I'll say after the patch cause I don't know when they were added.

bala gi west of the south gate and south of the west gate.
also found them in black hole sun in the asteroids.
also found them in priests pity near the pirate base, but they may have just been the remains of a dead pirate.
A proud Goner!

Akula87

Post by Akula87 » Fri, 18. May 07, 03:32

You can get them from pirate drops but it's really rare. The best way to obtain them is from TL-level assasignation missions specifically when the TL is an Orca for whatever reason. In addition to these missions, there are crates of them that are in the same location for everyone in every game; there are many posts that give these coordinates.

jerp

Post by jerp » Fri, 18. May 07, 03:44

would it work for missile defense?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”