Bad day in Home of Light...........

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bubbafett
x3

Bad day in Home of Light...........

Post by bubbafett » Thu, 24. May 07, 05:03

Got a bit of a chuckle when I checked my game after work today. I've got a complex in Ore Belt and lost 3 TS's in Home of Light.
The south gate killed 2 of them and the tranding station killed the 3rd.

Pirates were nowhere to be seen.

:lol:

Seawolfe
x3tc

Post by Seawolfe » Thu, 24. May 07, 07:42

Yeah, you gotta hate those rogue gates.

Seriously, though, I've been seeing a lot of that lately. I let the game run over-night and come back the next morning to find out that a few TS's have been destroyed by gates and stations. It's getting annoying having to reload from the night before.
Seawolfe

-------------

"Consequences, shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich" - Daffy Duck

blazer1121

Post by blazer1121 » Thu, 24. May 07, 12:40

Are gates and stations armed in X3? I didn't know that

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Thu, 24. May 07, 12:44

I thought collisions only happen in the sector your in. Just hang out somewhere very remote. Anyway that is what happens when you don't micro manage everything lol!
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Thu, 24. May 07, 12:51

blazer1121 wrote:Are gates and stations armed in X3? I didn't know that
Actually it would make a lot of sense that Gates have turrets around the perimeter, just cause they are so important in the X-verse, and no-one can allow their destruction..
Just imagine if pirates could sabotage whole sectors by taking out 3 of 4 gates.. :roll:

Besides, imagine an enemy M2 being attacked by tens of turrets on a gate all round it, a cone of PPC fire or Kyon beams heading towards a lone M2..

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Thu, 24. May 07, 12:55

I recall gates had turrets in Freelancer. They where pretty rubbish low powered affairs but the idea is sound. Pirates would have to run the gauntlet just to traverse the systems.

One game that had some really good turrets was Tachyon the Fringe. They could be a real menace and where hulking big things compared to your fighter often strategically placed too.

98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Thu, 24. May 07, 23:56

Gates have really big shields. It's bad luck to collide with them. :roll:

If leaving your game on when you are not there, Do Not leave SETA on. It's bad luck too! :wink:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Maverick024
x3tc

Post by Maverick024 » Fri, 25. May 07, 03:48

Fly away to some random sectors your traders won't go to then get out to around 80km from a gate if you're going to SETA or just leave it on. In-sector SETA use is just downright genocide over a whole day.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 25. May 07, 05:59

X2-Eliah wrote:
Actually it would make a lot of sense that Gates have turrets around the perimeter, just cause they are so important in the X-verse, and no-one can allow their destruction..
Just imagine if pirates could sabotage whole sectors by taking out 3 of 4 gates.. :roll:
Irrelevant. The ancients built them of materials that the locals have no hope of denting. While the shields may deplete, the structure is impervious to damage. As for the OP's TS's, I'd suggest instituting a strict drug testing program. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Fri, 25. May 07, 06:18

Nanook wrote: Irrelevant. The ancients built them of materials that the locals have no hope of denting. While the shields may deplete, the structure is impervious to damage.
So we are told by the authorities but what about those broken gates. Kyle is supposed to have managed to blow one for a start in XBTF?

Besides even if they are very difficult to destroy having automatic turrets policing access to and from your system seems like a good idea to me. Of course it would institute an arms race with the better off / organised criminals finding some way to disguising themselves no doubt.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 25. May 07, 06:28

Paranoid66 wrote:
Nanook wrote: Irrelevant. The ancients built them of materials that the locals have no hope of denting. While the shields may deplete, the structure is impervious to damage.
So we are told by the authorities but what about those broken gates. Kyle is supposed to have managed to blow one for a start in XBTF?.
??? No, that gate in Brennan's Triumph was built by Terrans, and destroyed by R. Gunne and his fleet prior to the events of X-BTF. Kyle never destroyed any gates, just a Xenon mothership.

As for the other destroyed gates in X3, we have no knowledge of how they came to be destroyed. For all we know, they were self-destructed by the ancients in one of their 'gate realignments'. Certainly, none of the local races did it.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

BurnedToast
x3

Post by BurnedToast » Fri, 25. May 07, 06:50

The Kha'ak destroyed the gate from Elana's fortune to olmankaslat's treaty, and I seem to recall the description text from one of the sectors saying the Xenon did the same (but I might be mistaken, they blew enough planets and such up though).

AFAIK the gate in Brennan's Triumph was a 'regular' gate that was destroyed somehow, cutting earth off. I have only played X2 and X3 though so I am not totally sure.

so they are not indestructable.. though in-game IIRC they are set to not destroyable.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Fri, 25. May 07, 06:53

Still if Mister Gunne did it with an antiquated fleet they can't be totally impervious at least not in relation to the storyline. Thanks for the correction though I wasn't sure thus the(?) My memory is shot and I havn't read the old game literature in a while. Nor have I played XBTF.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 25. May 07, 07:10

Mr. Gunne did it because it was a Terran gate, not built by the ancients. And the Terrans destroyed the one in Sol system, as well. But yes, Egosoft's backstory is a bit inconsistent. The one in Elena's Fortune was just a contrivance for the sake of the X3 plot. Wouldn't want a shortcut to the Yaki disruptor factory, now would we? :roll: :lol:

And yeah, I played X-BTF and X-Tension to death. :wink:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 25. May 07, 08:17

Nanook wrote:The one in Elena's Fortune was just a contrivance for the sake of the X3 plot. Wouldn't want a shortcut to the Yaki disruptor factory, now would we? :roll: :lol:
How would it be a shortcut, exactly, considering you start the Yaki disruptor factory mission in Bala Gi's Joy? :gruebel:

ttl
x3tc

Post by ttl » Fri, 25. May 07, 15:34

There's a mod that removes the metal ring of the gates, and replaces them with a cloud of sorts. Helps a lot with AI stupidity around the gates. Not only the suicidal autopilots, but I also used to get royally annoyed by the sector getting mad at me when my turrets hit a few stray shots to the ring while firing on some pirates coming through the gate.

BrigandPhantos
x2

Post by BrigandPhantos » Fri, 25. May 07, 15:41

Nanook wrote:
X2-Eliah wrote:
Irrelevant. The ancients built them of materials that the locals have no hope of denting. While the shields may deplete, the structure is impervious to damage. As for the OP's TS's, I'd suggest instituting a strict drug testing program. :wink:
Or you can just stop hiring Teladi pilot's. Your profitsss, no profitssss of theresssss, so why should Teladi keep ship safe. Plus, why do you think Teladi legalize spaceweed? Not just for profitssssss
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!

May profitsssss go with you!!

Visit me on myspace!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”