TP size limitations ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

PhantomDG1
x3tc

TP size limitations ?

Post by PhantomDG1 » Fri, 25. May 07, 17:52

Are there any limitations on the size of a TP class ship ?
(The design I have in mind is roughly 1/3 the size of an M2 class ship)

Only asking because it obviously still need to be able to dock at any typ of station !
Also if a ship the size I have in mind does have a TP classification, is this likely to cause trouble with the collision detection ?

Phantom

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Fri, 25. May 07, 18:08

Only size limitation I'm aware of is whether it can dock at a station.

PhantomDG1
x3tc

Post by PhantomDG1 » Fri, 25. May 07, 18:36

Thats what I meant !

Obviously not 'capital class' ships as I need it to be able to use the overhead docking ! (mechanical type, not SY or ED)

I suppose what I mean't exactly is what is the 'largest' physical size ship I can build that won't collide with the docking rigs/stations ?

(as I said I was hoping to make the ship roughly 1/3 the size of a Titan !)

Phantom

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Sat, 26. May 07, 05:41

OK - these are three (3DS) dimensions you need to take note of (these are from my own work on the topic), as taken from from the three largers M6/M7's.

Nemesis is the Widest M6 ....619 units
Hyperion is the longest ...1013 units
P is the tallest M6 (slightly taller than the Hyperion) ...291 unit.

I'd say if you go much more that about 10% bigger than those units you may well be looking at trouble, if not for your own ship, then for other which try and dock while your ship is still docked.
Ooops!!

PhantomDG1
x3tc

Post by PhantomDG1 » Sat, 26. May 07, 17:55

KanineLupus wrote...
OK - these are three (3DS) dimensions you need to take note of (these are from my own work on the topic), as taken from from the three largers M6/M7's.

Nemesis is the Widest M6 ....619 units
Hyperion is the longest ...1013 units
P is the tallest M6 (slightly taller than the Hyperion) ...291 unit.
I take it by 'units' you are referring to the 'Parameters measurements' ?

If so great ! I can now just build a box to use as a universal plug. As long as my TP will fit inside the box... no problems ! :D

PhantomDG1
x3tc

Post by PhantomDG1 » Sat, 26. May 07, 17:56

Err... :roll:

Don't suppose you got the max dimensions for M1 class ships ?

(sorry, gotta be worth a try asking though... :D )

Thanks
Phantom

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 26. May 07, 18:10

A TP ship can be of ANY size. You can make a TP the size of a capital ship.

How would you work around this so that a TP the size of a capital ship can dock at normal stations? You move its centre of gravity in 3dS to the very front and top of the ship. X3 will think this is the centre of a small ship, and will dock you accordingly.

Would this look ridiculous? Most certainly so.
Because X3 will also use that centre of gravity as the ship's pivot point. Therefore, whenever you are going to turn the ship, its entire rear end will be swinging around as the front top would stay in an almost stationary position.

ANY class can be ANY size. We could make an M5 the size of a planet if we wanted to.

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Sat, 26. May 07, 20:28

While that it technically true Flyebye, you're forgetting one important thing - internal docking on carrirs, as well as the internal docking for 'standard' class ships which some have added.

And yes Phantom they are the default Parameter measurement:)s used by 3DS. Also have all the M2/M2/TL measurements jotted down. Is like 4am here at moment so will pass jot down tomorrow
Ooops!!

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 26. May 07, 20:37

KanineLupus wrote:While that it technically true Flyebye, you're forgetting one important thing - internal docking on carrirs, as well as the internal docking for 'standard' class ships which some have added.....

Oh of course. Those are the complications associated with sizing thiings to whatever you so with.

I was just simply mentioning that you can technically size any class to anything. The problems that follow...well hey... :lol:

PhantomDG1
x3tc

Post by PhantomDG1 » Sat, 26. May 07, 20:55

KanineLupus wrote...
Is like 4am here at moment so will pass jot down tomorrow
$am :o

Jot downs... Thank you !

Phantom

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Sun, 27. May 07, 03:01

OK - the 2 key ships to use as templates are the Phoenix and the Albatross.

The Phoenix is the Longest and Tallest ship in the game, being roughly twice the length or its nearest rival (also the reaon why I had to make the internal cap-ship docks so damned big!!). The Albatross is the u]Widest[/u].

Albatross = (X or width) 7414.828
Phoenix = (Y or length) 23784.4 ...roughly 4.7KM long
Phoenix = (Z or height) 6466.256

Now apparently one also needs to take note of one of the Boron cap ships, either the Shark or Orca (can't remember which) due to the tail having a tendency to catch on shipyards/EQ docks on exit. Both are actually shorter than the the two ships above, so I'm wondering if it might have something to do with a mis-set pivot point.

Now as far as 'max size' for M1's, as long as it sits some-where within those realms you should be right. Keep in mind the Phoenix (an M2) dwarfs even its own M1. The longest M1 in the game is the Shark (Y = 14614.04) ...quite a difference as you can see :)
Ooops!!

PhantomDG1
x3tc

Post by PhantomDG1 » Sun, 27. May 07, 17:20

@KanineLupus

Thanks, now have two sets of 'scale boxes' made !
(just an idea I use. If it fits in the box... it fits in the game)

Also very usefull as now my 'docking tunnels' are the correct size to accomodate even the biggest X3 ships (and room to spare)

@ANYONE !

Do you have any size stats for the other classes ? or know of any links to similar ?

Thanks
Phantom

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Mon, 28. May 07, 04:41

Which ones do you need? Have pretty much ALL (ES Ships anyhow) written down and sitting in front of me, so all you need do is ask :)
Ooops!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 28. May 07, 09:01

TS Dolphin large Superfreighter and TP Manta Hauler have approximately the same size. Apparently the cockpit camera position on them is in different location. And last time I tried, the docking clamp turns into the Manta Hauler and causes collision on undock, but the model of Dolphin SF does not touch the clamp at all. Do these ships have different center of mass, or what causes the different aligment on docking?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Mon, 28. May 07, 09:44

To be honest has been a little while since looking into it (too busy on my current project). I con't for the life of me remember if it is taken from the cockpit position or the cental pivot point. If it is infact the latter, keep in mind a more extreme obtrusion (such as a particularly tall tail-fin) could well throw things out when setting pivot to centre (as that is dictated by most extreme points of X, Y & Z) ...an issue which may have been missed in the maddness of getting X3 ready for shipping
Ooops!!

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Mon, 28. May 07, 10:01

on custom models its the 0,0,0 point of the model, which you can set by moving the pivot point to where you want it to be, reset xform, collapse, export and reimport (just to check)

adjusting this is the only reason ive been able to get my leviathan ship to be able to dock

(when undocking the leviathan you basically have to immediatly throw it in full reverse and hold the straff down key until you are clear of the station)

im pretty sure its the same spot on the default models too...though it might be one of the pieces in the bod files that isnt handled by dbox (dbox doesnt handle any of the subpart very well :) )

PhantomDG1
x3tc

Post by PhantomDG1 » Mon, 28. May 07, 18:14

@KanineLupus

It wasn't any one particular ship I was interested in, more the biggest dimensions for each class ! Though now I think about it... the biggest specs for each type of docking !

Overhead, M1/2/Capital - You already gave me !

5 Port/arm docking - (highest, widest, longest ship to use this type)
I think this may be the same as M6 specs

Hanger bay docking - (Highest, widest, longest ship to use this type)

My 'scale box' method..
[ external image ]

The purple box is built to the max height, width, length of any M6 in the game!
So... As long as any ship I build doesn't exceed the box then its an M6 !
(alternatively I can use this to 'scale' up or down any ship I build.

Easy... sorted !

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Mon, 28. May 07, 19:32

Will post the relevent details tommorrow for you. Is 3.30 am here and am just off to bed - the bags are getting a little heavy under the eyes right now :)
Ooops!!

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”