The pirate's life or the humble merchant? Or anything else for that matter.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Syndrome
x3tc

The pirate's life or the humble merchant? Or anything else for that matter.

Post by Syndrome » Mon, 28. May 07, 11:17

I am going to start a new game but I've never tried the pirate's life. If I took this kind of approach I'd be friendly with at least one race. I want to know which one brings in the most credits; the pirate, the merchant, the mercenary, or anything else you can think of. Which one will get me my Pheonix the quickest (just using that as an expression).

I know that is a bit of a wide question. Just to narrow things down a bit, what I'd do is build a few booze or weed complexes, and then when I've got three or so I'd start saving.

Syndrome.

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 28. May 07, 11:42

Depends on you playing style I personally enjoy building a empire which i never have to touch except transfer funds from time to time.

Syndrome
x3tc

Post by Syndrome » Mon, 28. May 07, 12:22

Pirate hater wrote:Depends on you playing style I personally enjoy building a empire which i never have to touch except transfer funds from time to time.
Yep. Same as you.

malakaiunseen
x3tc

Post by malakaiunseen » Tue, 29. May 07, 17:32

on humble merchant I make 400M+ per day real time without touching a thing :D in fact, while Im at work. And thats vanilla...
Willing is not enough, you have to be strong.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Tue, 29. May 07, 17:52

Try the actual pirates life...

...dont be friends with any race. Use what you take.

cheeta

Post by cheeta » Tue, 29. May 07, 18:09

i'm also building up an empire. an automated empire. with automated defenses and the likes. undertake fun stuff like xenon invasions time to time. going trader first imo is the fastest way to getting you big bucks, though it may be slow at first. but the growth is exponential.

fiksal
x4

Re: The pirate's life or the humble merchant? Or anything else for that matter.

Post by fiksal » Tue, 29. May 07, 19:50

Syndrome wrote: I want to know which one brings in the most credits; the pirate, the merchant, the mercenary, or anything else you can think of.
I understand that trading and building brings the most money.

That being said, I am just happy I can afford occasional M6 and one TL :)
Milo Rambaldi wrote:Try the actual pirates life...
...dont be friends with any race. Use what you take.
Even pirates need to dump their captured cargo somewhere.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Tue, 29. May 07, 20:27

cheeta wrote:i'm also building up an empire. an automated empire. with automated defenses and the likes. undertake fun stuff like xenon invasions time to time. going trader first imo is the fastest way to getting you big bucks, though it may be slow at first. but the growth is exponential.
I recommend running assination missions and capping to fund construction of new stations it gets to the point where you jump into your ship run a mission for 6 mill and spend it all on a new trade loop. :D

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Wed, 30. May 07, 04:52

Maintaining good relations with all races eventually leads to access to all their products, and a universe-wide High reputation (even the Paranid, and Split will bow politely to you, and treat you in a most courteous fashion - and of course the Teladi will grovel at your feet, anything to attract some more credit their way), and unimaginable wealth. Humble Merchant is a good start - bit hard at first to build up a respectable fortune. Later when you are Pan-Galactic Tycoon :) or something similar, you always have the choice of becoming a pirate If you still want. I't a big universe, and ultimately it is up to you. I'll probably try the pirate way in my next game.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Syndrome
x3tc

Post by Syndrome » Wed, 30. May 07, 07:24

Thanks for the replies. I thought this topic was dead.

So it looks like Humble Merchant brings in the most creditssssss. But I am not the kind who likes trading so I think I might try Pirate hater's suggestion and see how it goes. If I don't like it then I'll start trading.

Thanks again :)
Syndrome

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 30. May 07, 07:29

You might like my Pirate Mod. :)

Everyone hates you including about 2/3 of the pirates. But you have a superstore and a shipyard for selling loot at.

One of the incuded scripts is the Unified capture script that allows for the capture of capital ships and stations, and improves the cap rate generally and how much loot is left after.

If you dont want to use the included ships (it gives you a good head start), then park them or delete them, and just use the first decent cap you like.

It uses the Enemy of the State start, but its ranks are then tweaked even worse :)

Non-stop combat.

Syndrome
x3tc

Post by Syndrome » Wed, 30. May 07, 09:17

apricotslice wrote:You might like my Pirate Mod. :)

Everyone hates you including about 2/3 of the pirates. But you have a superstore and a shipyard for selling loot at.

One of the incuded scripts is the Unified capture script that allows for the capture of capital ships and stations, and improves the cap rate generally and how much loot is left after.

If you dont want to use the included ships (it gives you a good head start), then park them or delete them, and just use the first decent cap you like.

It uses the Enemy of the State start, but its ranks are then tweaked even worse :)

Non-stop combat.
I might give it a try some time. You got a linky?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 30. May 07, 11:14

^
|
|
|
|
link :)
|
|
|