PHQ and Avarice

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Datamestonic
x3

PHQ and Avarice

Post by Datamestonic » Fri, 1. Jun 07, 08:20

So I just got my PHQ and haven't deployed it yet because of some ponderings:

I like the idea of having a home-system, but what exactly are the benefits of buying Avarice? 600+ million is a lot of cash just to have your name slapped onto it. What exactly changes when you buy it? The main reason I would consider putting the PHQ in Avarice (if I purchase it) is because it has a very central location and is thus ideal for jumping to and from. That, and it's very appropriate to have your HQ in a system you actually own. It's also next to a bunch of shipyards which may come in handy.

The other place(s) I would consider placing the PHQ are Home of Light or Cloudbase Southwest, as both sectors have jump drives in-sector.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

markdb92
x4

Post by markdb92 » Fri, 1. Jun 07, 08:26

The only reason to buy the sector is to show off that you wasted a ton on money on

pccenter
xr

Post by pccenter » Fri, 1. Jun 07, 08:28

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 05:06

The PHQ in avarice does wotk out just fine from pesonal experience. Just a few things I've noticed so far.

- Just about all the real trouble will come in from the east gate. It can also get pretty hot at times with up to 6x pirate M3s with m4/5 support or near full strength Xenon P patrols. Best way to shut this down is a powerfull OOS patrol camping the west gate in New Income.

- Don't buy the sector or tick off the teladi. Buy it and you lose all upgrades the teladi trade station sells. Keeping the teladi kinda happy allows you to kill the other races at will, still have access to a wide range of weapons and several areas to operate from in the galaxy.

- I placed my support complexes in a system called "Spring of Belief". Nine jumps south (Through pirate ally) with a nice mix of asteroids. Really any of the good systems will do for this thanks to the CLS/CAG script.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 08:30

Kor'ah wrote: Buy it and you lose all upgrades the teladi trade station sells.
I've seen this said over and over again whenever the topic of Avarice comes up. Is there anything special about these upgrades, or are they the same upgrades that every Teladi trade station sells?

Datamestonic
x3

Post by Datamestonic » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 11:24

Gothsheep wrote:
Kor'ah wrote: Buy it and you lose all upgrades the teladi trade station sells.
I've seen this said over and over again whenever the topic of Avarice comes up. Is there anything special about these upgrades, or are they the same upgrades that every Teladi trade station sells?
I'm curious about this as well. I was planning on putting my own Equipment Dock and Trading Station next to the HQ so what would I be missing out on?

Tw122le
x3ap

Post by Tw122le » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 11:41

You can't trade in software from your own Trading Station/ EQ dock so you'd still need to go to one for speed, manouvre and cargo space upgrades along with the rest of the software.
X3 GOTY, X2 v1.4 + 1.03.03. X-BTF & X-Tension 2.1a.
X2 Guides courtesy of Nilof:Click Here
I only play the games, not make the rules.

Datamestonic
x3

Post by Datamestonic » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 21:52

Tw122le wrote:You can't trade in software from your own Trading Station/ EQ dock so you'd still need to go to one for speed, manouvre and cargo space upgrades along with the rest of the software.
Thank you, I didn't know that. That's fairly retarded IMO...

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 22:00

Thank you, I didn't know that.
Well if you could sell yourself software then the upgrades would become free - you'd be paying money to your station to upgrade your ships. Then you could just transfer the money back out to yourself! Otherwise you'd have to have a single goods-type exception to the whole way the trading works, not to mention the different station control for those particular items, which I could see being tedious and prone to mistakes. So you can sort of see why it is that way.

M

Datamestonic
x3

Post by Datamestonic » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 22:10

maphys wrote:
Well if you could sell yourself software then the upgrades would become free - you'd be paying money to your station to upgrade your ships. Then you could just transfer the money back out to yourself! Otherwise you'd have to have a single goods-type exception to the whole way the trading works, not to mention the different station control for those particular items, which I could see being tedious and prone to mistakes. So you can sort of see why it is that way.

M
That's true, I see why that's the case but I still want to be able to upgrade my ships through some sort of payment at my own equipment dock. Especially if I spend 50 something million on it. Maybe there's a script for this (I recall hearing something about a script that lets you add upgrdades from any station, though that seems a little overkill).

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 2. Jun 07, 22:16

I still want to be able to upgrade my ships through some sort of payment at my own equipment dock
It'd be useful I agree. I don't necessarily agree it is the 'right way to do it' - I just see why it might be that way.

The lack of the EQ dock if you buy it is one of the reasons I didn't go for Avarice as a PHQ place in any of my games. That and the endless stream of Pirate and the fact that I capped my first ever LXs in there. I figure a system with that many red visitors is not one I want to have my shiny new M1 hanging around waiting for weapons in!

M

Dragondoom01

Post by Dragondoom01 » Sun, 3. Jun 07, 04:46

Huh? The teladi get upset when you buy avarice? Clarify this for me please!

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Sun, 3. Jun 07, 05:08

maphys wrote:
Well if you could sell yourself software then the upgrades would become free - you'd be paying money to your station to upgrade your ships. Then you could just transfer the money back out to yourself!
M
Not necessarily. It's the same idea as you building your own ships. It may not take straight-up cash anymore, but it still takes time and resources. Plus people have to do it, and they would probably draw money for the work.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sun, 3. Jun 07, 06:14

Datamestonic wrote:I'm curious about this as well. I was planning on putting my own Equipment Dock and Trading Station next to the HQ so what would I be missing out on?
Nothing really. I founf the trade station and EQ dock somewhat helpfull since you only have so much room in the PHQ for wares. Tinkering with the prices I've got my UTs selling to my EQ/Trade station and not to the PHQ. The "Ware limit" tool doesn't seem to work with weapons for some reason. To keep your UTs from killing the PHQ bank with 2000 AIREs bait them to sell at the EQ dock where the ware limit is hardcoded.

Speaking of EQ/Trade stations. It would've been nice for EgoSoft to allow the player built ones to have a much larger ware storage since we can't have extensions or cargo/speed/rudder upgrades.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”