X-Online - 2 be or not 2 be?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you think X-Online worth making?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 201

Reelo
x3

X-Online - 2 be or not 2 be?

Post by Reelo » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 16:39

I love X games, but due to that they all are avaliable for a single-player mode only i think we might be loosing a great deal of fun ;) So, Egosoft people, X-Online - is that possible? o_O Pls-pls-pls, say "YEAAH!!" >.<

P.S.: Even if it's not i still love the game!! ;)

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 16:50

Needs an option 3 - No, and please stop asking! :p

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 17:24

Carlo the Curious wrote:Needs an option 3 - No, and please stop asking! :p
That is very tempting. :-)

X online will most likely happen one day. Its always been mentioned that it is one of the aims. It all depends on what it ends up like. It could be amazing for all we know.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Decun2001
x3

Post by Decun2001 » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 18:50

It has already happened, its called EVE online.. To make X-online would go against everything the game stands for.. Now I am for adding multiplayer support like Freelancer where it had consistent servers.. But a pure MMO game would suck imo, we already have enough MMO's as it is.. What we have a distinct lack of is single player space games..

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 21:16

it needs to be optional not a pure MMO but like just a sector or sumin were players fight each other
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 21:48

Decun2001 wrote:we already have enough MMO's as it is.. What we have a distinct lack of is single player space games..
Indeed. Multiplayer almost always seems to get preferential treatment over single player these days. Not only is this galling for us single player fans, but it's doubly so, when people are constantly pestering for multiplayer capability to be added to the few games that AREN'T multiplayer games.

WarFrigAte

Post by WarFrigAte » Sun, 17. Jun 07, 23:11

I play eve-online myself its ok but I like the fact that X is single player. Theres no one to fall out with heh, plus itll prob jsut be hacked/exploited/farmed like msot mmos now. I say keep it single player tbh. theres already 3 more space game that are mmo's in development at the moment. Not enuogh single player based :/
Embrace the Boron
And the Boron shall embrace you!

hierax
x3tc

Post by hierax » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 18:41

Yes we have enough MMO games but we also have enough space sims.

However, I am more for player vs player netwroking than an MMO to be honest. but An MMo in the x-universe can only be awesome.

I could be wrong but I hope I am not.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 18:45

No no no.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Noxin

Post by Noxin » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 19:08

I've played Eve Online, and it was a great game. It wasn't however an X game. There are various aspects of X that cannot translate into a persistent world MMO. The only other option would be multiplayer capability, which simply wouldn't remain true to what X is all about.

I have always had every X game installed since the IP was established, and it's always done an exceptional job of staying true to it's original formula and improving upon it in each incarnation.
Half of the very appeal is that it's a long term single player game and caters very specifically to people who like that experience. I can't imagine trying to have an 8 hour sitting multiplayer.

khaakbaiter

Post by khaakbaiter » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 19:22

007bradz wrote:it needs to be optional not a pure MMO but like just a sector or sumin were players fight each other
Entering the wilderness... WARNING SHIELDS CRITICAL!
"YARGGG!!!!!" "HEY WATS THAT FOR?" "OMG HAMMERHEAD CLOSING!"
BOOM! "HAHA FREEDOOM! SO LONG LOSERS"
"SUM 1 SHOOT HIM!"
"DID!"
gosh think about a wildi sector that leads off to other wildi sectors...
gulp! :o

Qwe r`Ty
x3

Post by Qwe r`Ty » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 21:19

The X-Online is the PARADISE.

We sure We`ll go there after life.

:!: Later-better.

(sorry for Split-Terran Translation)
Split now show you!

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 23:04

No, it's The Other Place. :p

Achatos
x3

Post by Achatos » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 23:26

I agree with Carlo. I hold a very different view of Paradise!
Find what you need in the X3-universe (with all XTM data, and X3 Music guide)
[ external image ]

tclord
x3

Post by tclord » Tue, 26. Jun 07, 00:36

An online game would require getting rid of SETA. You sure you want that?

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Tue, 26. Jun 07, 00:42

Its swings and Roundabouts...

soo many No's, Yet if it was done right, it could be an Absolutely Amazing game!
However, like most MMO's theres a very real chance it could go terribly wrong!!

khaakbaiter

Post by khaakbaiter » Tue, 26. Jun 07, 09:00

tclord wrote:An online game would require getting rid of SETA. You sure you want that?
you do realise that there could be a booster button that makes you go faster.... now that sounds good?

hierax
x3tc

Post by hierax » Tue, 26. Jun 07, 10:44

But to make it work, wouldn't you need a server that would be able to record the movement of thousands of particles/objects in literally hundreds of sectors?

the computing power for that would be ginormous or even worse and we are talking computing on thre axis of combat and movement plus it will need to keep up with all the computing involved in combat as well.

If x-online does come to light it will be very expensive to maintain.

I hope that the monthly fee is not prohibitive

jmwilson

Post by jmwilson » Tue, 26. Jun 07, 11:47

Please EGOSOFT, don't waste your time and money on an online X game.

X3 is an example of how good a single player game can be: totally immersive, complex, amazingly varied, with a good (enough) storyline.

MMOs, on the other hand, and in my limited experience (played WOW and LOTR beta) are the opposite: shallow, ultimately dull, limited game mechanics and the potentially interesting interactivity you get with human players lost because most of them are annoying or stupid or children, or a combination thereof.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I value you guys on the forums, love reading your posts, but I certainly would not want you flying around my X Universe and I would expect you to feel the same about me in yours.

hierax
x3tc

Post by hierax » Tue, 26. Jun 07, 16:49

The great thing about the x-universe is that we could travel from one end of it to the other and notice neither anybody else nor anybody you want to avoid.

The x-universe is perfect for online gaming.

There is a bank system(save your credits); an insurance system(save points-last known location); a police force; the list is endless.

As dynamic as the x-universe is, it is still missing that one area of randomness. If you are destroyed when you log in you can log back in anytime you want as a new pilot (using your same username, of course) and continue from when you last used your insurance.

Anybody who goes around killing anybody in sight unprovoked is a pirate; is instantly branded one; and his “transponder code” distributed throughout the system via the BBS system.

Another good idea – you get best ones while sitting on the throne – is everyone could be assigned races whenever they join, at random. Every one is precluded from owning M1 and M2 ships. Your rank with each race is modified as it is in the current games and if you have a very bad ranking with a particular race, whether the pilot has done anything or not, members of that race are free to “lock on and take him out”(-do that little bit in optimus prime’s voice; cracks me up).

We could even have moderators. They are the only one s with police licenses. There should also be a bounty hunters license and people can be awarded if their shots are the last that a wanted criminal sees.

What do you think so far?

I could go on if you like

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”