[X3] Pulse Beam Emitters (PBE)-- What are their functions in relation to other lasers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

enfo13
x3tc

[X3] Pulse Beam Emitters (PBE)-- What are their functions in relation to other lasers

Post by enfo13 » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 13:31

The weapon guides were very helpful-- It was nice to see the different situations that different weapons shine in.

One weapon I'm curious about is the pulse beam emitter (pbe). What is it's function? Is it just a very nice version of PACs, or do they have a different use?

Best,
Enfo

bobingabout
x3

Post by bobingabout » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 13:38

they are faster than IREs, and therefore have a higher hitrate, and do more dammage to shields tha hull. IMO, a very good weapon for caping, just equ a couple of these, and you will do high shield dammage and lower hull damage, which will allow the target ship more time of the battle to think about bailing.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 13:43

-High rate of fire
-short range (~1km)
-High sheild damage modest armor damage
-Projectile speed is so fast auto-aim isn't really needed.

The gun is just the thing for takeing out fast, hard to hit, M5s. Also it's a wonderfull weapon to use for trying to capture ships. Last, in a big fight you can take your shots on the fly and not need to spend too much time "aiming".

enfo13
x3tc

Post by enfo13 » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 14:59

Thanks for the fast and helpful responses. Decided to fit my new captured LX with AHEPTx7 and APBEx1 for its laser bays.

ScorpiusX
x4

Post by ScorpiusX » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 15:45

I use 4x APBE and 4xAHEPT on my LX, which works out well. Having just got my hands on a Chimera though I'm getting it fitted with 4xBPBE and 4xMD + the 2 MDs in the turrets, I've not had chance to use it yet but I expect it should be a very capable set up for capping. The only drawback being that I'll have to get close enough to spit at 'em before I can shoot 'em. If i've read things right the BPBE has a slightly longer range and does more damage, wether its fire rate is as quick as a APBE though I don't know. In conjunction with the MDs by the time the shields are gone the hull should be around 85% or so, which should make capping things a little easier. The amount of times a pilot has bailed only for my final shots to have dusted the ship is beyond belief, before I got this LX I'm using I had 2 LXs bail only to blow 'em up before I stopped shooting.

ScorpiusX
ScorpiusX Corp company motto:

"We don't want to rule the Galaxy"
"We just want to own it!"

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 15:59

I arm both the chimera nad LX the same almost. 2x AHEPT, 4x BPAC and 2x BPBE in the main array. turrets are different of course. LX has BIRE, set to missile defense, in the front and BPAC on the back. The chimera only has one option for turrets.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 17:01

tradable as well. Cost a quarter of a million and take up 1 unit of cargo. If you theoretically killed a xenon K and it left behind a crate of Gppc's and a crate of Apbe's, enough to entirely fill your hold you would be better off getting the apbe's.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

tclord
x3

Post by tclord » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 18:51

I use 6xAHEPT and 2xBPBE on my Chimera. Works out really well. BPBEs work great for killing off fast ships, both M5 and M4, though you need to get close enough. Betas have more range that Alphas, which helps. HEPTs kill anything tougher. Pretty easy to kill off M6s and TLs in assassination missions. 2xBPBEs do a bit too much damage for caping M5s very well, but then they aren't really worth capping in my opinion.

teladianium
x3

Post by teladianium » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 22:05

I'm also a LX pilot and use 4 x APBE and 4 x AHept. I tried 4 x BPBE but they drain energy faster IMO than APBE and don't have any real range advantage.

ReggieReddog
x3

Post by ReggieReddog » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 07:04

OK I'll throw my LX loadout too: 5 x AHEPT + 3 BPBE, AIRE-front, BIRE-back = awesome death and protection.
Just the right mix for me.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 12:55

weapon of choice if you like close combat.
excellent hit rate means no stray shots hit when in close vicinity to a station ( the type causing the friendly "warning desist immediately or we will have no choice but to send fighters to stop you" message) etc.
your target cannot return fire when being pasted by PBE's.
good for capping.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

DaveyP
x3tc

Post by DaveyP » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 09:03

I have 2 loadouts on my LX:

1) 8xAHEPT, 1xBHEPT (front), 1xAIRE(rear).
2) 8xAPBE, 1xAIRE(front), 1xAIRE(rear).

Both turrets are set to missile defence, and I use a weapons changer script (with hotkeys) to switch between them. Strip shields with loadout 1, then kill them with loadout 2. Nothing lasts more than about 5 seconds :twisted:

Loner87
x3tc

Post by Loner87 » Tue, 3. Feb 09, 06:12

ThommoHawk wrote: your target cannot return fire when being pasted by PBE's.
good for capping.
Do you mean PBE has a temporary disabling effect on the ships being hit ?

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Tue, 3. Feb 09, 06:48

1. Almost 2 year old thread.
2. Discussing X3: Reunion version of the PBE
3. No, the PBE doesn't keep the other ships from firing.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. Feb 09, 08:30

Please don't resurrect ancient threads. *click*

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”