Mouse or Joystick

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

poopboypat
x2

Mouse or Joystick

Post by poopboypat » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 16:14

I was wondering, what you all use? And when you use a joystick, how easy is it to control the game? I know its easy with the mouse since you can just right click and go after all the other menus. How do you joystick people do it?

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 16:24

Well i use my joystick for flight control and the keyboard for everything else
I know a few people on this forum only use the keyboard anymore to type name for something and have all the rest configured to there joystick
I Would do that to if my stick whas still fully support in xp damm ms :evil:

Ruut
xr

Post by Ruut » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 16:25

Mouse for ever.
It’s missing on console.
L’espace est le futur de l’humanité.

Mav'r'ck

Post by Mav'r'ck » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 16:30

Joystick for flight control, keyboard/mouse for everything else.

Actually started using the mouse left-handed too, that way I can use it to target ships in a fight.

tclord
x3

Post by tclord » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 16:45

I use a Sidewinder Precision Pro, mainly because it makes fighting much easier. Other than that it isn't really that essential. To navigate menus, I use the hat mainly, though sometimes I'll use the keyboard too for that.

When fighting, the stick moves the ship's direction, and twisting the stick turns the ship along it's forward axis (roll). I also have 4 buttons I can easily use, one is to fire main guns, one is to launch missile, one is target next enemy, and the last is target previous enemy. Then with my left hand, I can strafe, target ship in front of me (t), target nearest enemy in range (e), full stop (q), boost (tab), and select weapon config (1-4). Works out well for me. I think using the mouse would be harder. It's more of a 2d device than a 3d device.

Aldizzert
x3

Post by Aldizzert » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 16:59

I use the mouse to fly M3/4/5s in combat, and a PS-style gamepad for non-combat and larger ships. Most of the gamepad buttons are mapped in-game to things like shoot, change weapon bank, sector map, and next enemy. Two buttons, however, are mapped via the gamepad software to <enter> and <esc>. That way I can recline in the comfy chair and still get most everything done. The <esc> map is especially convenient for me, since I often still use the inverted T out of habit with my right hand, but I don't have to keep my left hovering over the <esc>, it can be comfortably resting in my lap with the gamepad. That way I only get muscle cramps in my right shoulder instead of both :roll: .

Scram_UK
x4

Post by Scram_UK » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 17:02

I use a joystick too...It works well. You get more control over your ship than using a mouse which must get rather hectic when it runs off the edge of the mouse mat ever so often and you have to centre the mouse again on the mat and possibly causing you to loose your target. Not to mention you can't roll with the mouse... Dont get me wrong - mice are great when it comes to some games (First Person shooters, Strategy games, Freelancer.... I prefered mice over the joystick in that game) but when it comes to X3 it can get quite tricky.
System
Intel Q8200 2.4ghz
RAM : 4GB
Geforce 280GTX
PSU 1KW

Aldizzert
x3

Post by Aldizzert » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 17:09

Scram_UK wrote:must get rather hectic when it runs off the edge of the mouse mat ever so often and you have to centre the mouse again on the mat and possibly causing you to loose your target.
I'm pretty sure mouse mats are illegal in most states of the Union by now. But here's a little trick anyway: When you're hot on someone's tail, and they break suddenly, say to the right, don't try to break right too. Instead break left 270. Mouse is re-centered, and you're directly behind your target, instead of climbing up his flank like you would be if you broke with him.

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 17:28

I'm fine with the mouse, I've hardly ever used a joystick and I don't have a very good one, so mouse is more precise for me. Turning capital ships isn't very good with the mouse, but you don't really need so much precision with them so the arrow keys work well enough.

I rarely use the mouse for controlling the menus, though, I find it much quicker just to use the keyboard to scroll.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 17:59

Space flight simulators without a joystick? Nah ... I refused to buy Freelancer for that reason alone. Stupid not to support a joystick in a game like this ...

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:05

Mailo wrote: Nah ... I refused to buy Freelancer for that reason alone.
That's just odd. Ok, I can agree it should have joystick support for people who prefer it, but Freelancer was designed to be used with a mouse. The only reason to use a joystick is because it's 'traditional' for space games.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:14

Goldfinch wrote:
Mailo wrote: Nah ... I refused to buy Freelancer for that reason alone.
That's just odd. Ok, I can agree it should have joystick support for people who prefer it, but Freelancer was designed to be used with a mouse. The only reason to use a joystick is because it's 'traditional' for space games.
Why is it odd? When playing a space sim, I want to steer my ship using a joystick. I don't give a rat's whisker what the game was designed for. In this case, quite obviously not for me :D
I also wouldn't play a racer simulation designed to be used with a laser pointer or a strategy game designed to be used by touching the screen with your nose.

Mav'r'ck

Post by Mav'r'ck » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:27

I have to agree with Mailo there.

I want to feel like I'm actually flying my ship, therefore I want to use a Joystick. A mouse just feels wrong. Also, much like Mailo, joystick support was one of the things that made me choose this game over Freelancer.

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:38

It's probably misleading that the way Freelancer was hyped made it seem similar to X. I find it has more in common with FPS games. If that doesn't appeal to you, then i don't think that's odd, but the way Mailo worded it sounded (to me) like he wanted to play it but refused because he couldn't use a joystick.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:39

I also wouldn't play a racer simulation designed to be used with a laser pointer
But do you use a steering wheel with gearstick, and pedals?
:)

It all depends on the interface. I like X3 with a mouse, provided it is optical (ball mice are bad for this game!). Don't get on that well with joysticks generally.

M

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:39

I use joystick and keyboard. I have my mouse cursor permanently visible so that I don't accidentally move the ship around if I jog the mouse--I do occasionally use the mouse, but generally only for selecting targets if "nearest" won't do, or for setting up weapon banks. I navigate the menus using cursor keys--once you get the hang of the layout this is quite fast.

Qwe r`Ty
x3

Post by Qwe r`Ty » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:44

Mailo wrote:Why is it odd? When playing a space sim, I want to steer my ship using a joystick. I don't give a rat's whisker what the game was designed for. In this case, quite obviously not for me :D
I also wouldn't play a racer simulation designed to be used with a laser pointer or a strategy game designed to be used by touching the screen with your nose.
:lol:

But mousecontrolling in the game made pretty good. :D

:evil: To Hell all consoles with their joysticks!!! If any game published without normal mouse support We won`t buy it (like Resident Evil 4 on PC)
Split now show you!

Qwe r`Ty
x3

Post by Qwe r`Ty » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 18:50

maphys wrote:It all depends on the interface. I like X3 with a mouse, provided it is optical (ball mice are bad for this game!).

M
Where did ya get an ancient mouse???
Ya can sell that rare item on EBay and make good money)))
Split now show you!

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 19:06

Ex-goth - the red light from the optical mice gives me sunburn. It's only been tha last few years that I have finally managed to build up enough of a base tan to protect myself from it.

M

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Sat, 7. Jul 07, 19:23

maphys wrote:
Ex-goth - the red light from the optical mice gives me sunburn. It's only been tha last few years that I have finally managed to build up enough of a base tan to protect myself from it.

M
:D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”