[XTM - TECH. SUPPORT] Technical support for Xtended Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Buck_Rogers
x3

Post by Buck_Rogers » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 00:07

Did you use the "check mod status" option in the AL menu?
Buck Rogers

Vice Admiral of Shadows Haven Alliance (SHA) visit us at:
SHA Forum
Feel free to join my DID
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But only 4 to extend your arm and slap the bugger!

Scourge225

Post by Scourge225 » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 02:21

Yes, It says it's passed. The temptation to take out a rock beetle and get 18,000,000 is just something I'll have to deal with.
"Brilliant. Obviously that same hamster that drives your Autopilok is also throwing stones out the back end of your ship. When you need to jump somewhere he subsitiutes throwing E-cells to get there quicker." Vertigo_Edge

Arx
x3tc

Lag!

Post by Arx » Tue, 25. Aug 09, 21:42

Hello, I have been having problems with my game. It's been working fine until today, but now I get just that bit of lag every in-game second (playing with SETA on is unbearable) - even when sitting in an empty system, even with no properties. It all began when I spawned myself a Terran Thor mk.2 (I am running XTM with the latest patches), and the lag just kept getting worse and worse. I switched to a Falcon because I thought the Thor model was giving my computer a hard time, and I got some improvements but it's still impossible to fight.

HOWEVER, I loaded up an older save game and it worked flawlessly.

I have 9 mercuries, a Nova, a Falcon, and 3 factories in different sectors if that matters any.

Windows Task Manager showed that I was using up less than a quarter of my RAM, and CPU Usage was sitting at ~40%.

I am running Disk Defragmenter atm to see if it will help.

Anyone able to help me out?

Thanks in advance.[/b]

{merged from X3R Tech Support - Carlo}

The_Lost_Marauder

Post by The_Lost_Marauder » Tue, 25. Aug 09, 22:10

I've seen the game lagging so much only in two occasions:
1) when there is a general turmoil in the whole X-universe (take as example using XTM script to reveal all map and placing adv satellites everywhere, including enemy sectors).
2) when there is a massive fight IS and many ships are using PPC at the same time (experienced in Heretics End after the plot end).

Are you running XTM 0.7.5, right?

What happens if you start a new game (any caimpaign is ok)?

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Tue, 25. Aug 09, 22:32

Arx,

I have had the same effect when flying near my Argon Leviathan, (earned in plot) but only up close. Seems it was trouble rendering all the turrets and some of the lights.

But it is now parked well away in my home sector and is not visible when I enter the gate (Unknown Sector by Pats Retreat).

Just as a test, try going to an empty Unk sector (safe) and pop another out, then send it away until you can't see it anymore and see if the stutter is affected or starts when it comes in range. If it starts when you see it (trying to render) you might be able to reduce your GFX settings to compensate.

The other option is to check what scripts are running on that ship, maybe there is something churning that is bogging up the game engine.

My two cents anyway

Arx
x3tc

Post by Arx » Tue, 25. Aug 09, 22:41

I didn't place any satellites yet, and I've completed the main storyline. The lag is everywhere so I believe it's something that's happening OOS.
The sector is empty and I'm still getting lag. It happens at the same time the seconds go up in my Cahoona bakery, but deleting the bakery doesn't seem to help at all.

I'm running 0.7.4

New games work perfectly, but I really don't want to start all over again after doing the storyline twice so far. Plus it might happen on other games as well.

On a side note, my game seems to crash alot when I have the cockpits mod enabled.

EDIT: My bad, I must have misread something, I'm running XTM .7.4 :oops:

Arx
x3tc

Post by Arx » Tue, 25. Aug 09, 22:51

Spoidz,

That happens to me too, but that must be the size of the Leviathan, it's huge. I get extreme lag when I'm in the docking bay. That's something that happens on my poor machine and it's been happening as far as I can remember.

The_Lost_Marauder

Post by The_Lost_Marauder » Tue, 25. Aug 09, 23:49

Arx, when you completed the plot, did you try to enter to Heretics End?
I tried to do that after the final mission, and there was a huge (and invicible) fleet of Terran ships. The matter was another however: all ships started firing against everything not Terran, of course using EMPGs and it was so laggy that the orders I could use controls once every 5 secs.

I was forced not to enter there anylonger.
If you have a previous savegame which works, try to load it and see what happens.

Arx
x3tc

Post by Arx » Wed, 26. Aug 09, 07:47

Yeah, I went past that fleet and into the Earth system. The fleet was dealing with some Xenon however. I'll check if it's that fleet that's causing the lag.

Arx
x3tc

Post by Arx » Wed, 26. Aug 09, 07:52

Thanks for the help, I killed the 3 fighters that the Terrans were madly shooting at and that fixed the lag. There were EMPGs all over the place. Thanks again. :)

The_Lost_Marauder

Post by The_Lost_Marauder » Wed, 26. Aug 09, 10:26

you're welcome. :)

nobby375
x3

Post by nobby375 » Thu, 27. Aug 09, 21:19

hi all. Having a few problems getting xtm to run properly and finding the right info is hard as many links/posts are out of date with broken links :(

i cant see the new ships. i can target them but not see them.
Cheched if the mod was working via the interface . It passed but the first option came back as nill.
Also when i load the game it sends me a message saying the mod directory cant be found.
Everything else seems to work tho. Got the new vapor trails and ship explosions, and plent of new wares n ships ect.
I used cycrows installer to install it. Version 7.5

can some1 tell me where ive gone wrong pls

i tried to fix it and just made things worse so ive deleted the lot and steam is reinstalling the game again as we speak.

Im using a save from a save from after the plot finish. Does this make a difference cause i dont want to loose all the hard work n empire i have so far.

Cheers

Nobby

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Thu, 27. Aug 09, 21:52

nobby375,

Well....normally when the game asks for a mod directory it means certain files got put into the mods directory instead of the main game folder.

XTM does not load as a Mod to choose at game start and there should not be any files in the X3R mod folder.

I don't have access to my install but i just executed the 75full.exe and it only adds files to the following folders:

director
maps
Scripts
soundtrack
t

And it puts a new 10.cat/dat and 11.cat/dat into the main install folder.

With a clean X3R install, when it asks where to install, make sure you point to the main folder of your X3R install and not the mod folder or any other sub folders. If you decide to extract the files FIRST and manually install the files, COPY the CONTENTS of those folders into the SAME folder in your X3R install. If you haven't been using the mission director before, you'll probably copy the entire folder as it is new for XTM75.

A clean X3R install folder will only have Cat/Dat 1-9. XTM adds 10-11.

Now to your save game, if you only have X3R save games, they WILL NOT work with XTM. You must start a new XTM game.

You can however, import your current universe using the X3-X3Converter here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=172536

EDITAnd if you want to run X3R without STEAM look here: http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showp ... stcount=22

The_Lost_Marauder

Post by The_Lost_Marauder » Thu, 27. Aug 09, 23:12

nobby375 wrote:i cant see the new ships. i can target them but not see them. Cheched if the mod was working via the interface. It passed but the first option came back as null.
It usually happens when the game is not installed correctly. Theorically you should still be able to destroy those ships, but it's a big matter since only a couple of spots do suffer bullets hits.
I know you can't see them, but worst case is when those ships are attacking you! >_<
nobby375 wrote:Also when i load the game it sends me a message saying the mod directory cant be found.
Everything else seems to work tho. Got the new vapor trails and ship explosions, and plent of new wares n ships ect.
When you install XTM you must start a new game, otherwise the game will crash 99% of times. I'm sorry but none can change it.
nobby375 wrote:I used cycrows installer to install it. Version 7.5
That's rather interesting. XTM 0.7.5 FWIK is available only as installer .exe, no .spk file should be exist at all. I guess you're talking about version 0.7.3, which IS available as .spk file and updates the 0.7a version.

You'll have to lose several minutes, but the best thing to do is a fresh install.
Do as it follows:
1) Remove all mods from Cycrow PM
2) remove Bonus Package (if you've ever installed it)
3) uninstall X³R, delete all related folders (secure saved games and other files which you don't want to lose!)
4) reboot pc
5) install X³R as usual
6) patch game to version 2.5 (patch available at this site)
7) take the full_mod.exe and copy to your X³ folder, then run it and extract all files in X³R folder. You should be asked to overwrite 2 .mp3 files: accept it, then wait for the program to finish.
8] launch a new game and check if everything is fine.

Do what spoidz said in order to recover your X-universe.

nobby375
x3

Post by nobby375 » Thu, 27. Aug 09, 23:47

sweet just what i was looking for cheers guys.

Ive done half those suggestions, steam is reloading a fresh X3 atm unless the missus has turned off the pc lol. Im at work atm so by mornin i should be good to start again, just didnt want to mess it up 2nd time round.
I think i must of got mixed up with all the different versions. I have a 7.5 version that seems an installer as well as a 7.3 version and some which have 2 parts to them.

Ill do as you say and hopefully be having fun in the morning

cheers for the replys :D

The_Lost_Marauder

Post by The_Lost_Marauder » Fri, 28. Aug 09, 00:11

TBH, a minor patch from version 7.3 to 7.5 was released, but still it was an .exe file, but it featured a big problem since you no longer knew what to do about XTM 0.7.3 patch on Cycrow Plugin Manager.
That's why a fresh install of X³ and XTM is strongly suggested. ;)

nobby375
x3

Post by nobby375 » Fri, 28. Aug 09, 00:43

i guess installing the bonus pack will be ok too ?

Also i fancy a few scripts like mars turrets, response fleets and the bail extention. Is it safe to add these in after or will they mess things up also

going off what little experience i had with xtm( i lost about 4 UT's and 2 station supply ships in 10 mins) ill need the response fleet hehe.
Poor sod's didnt know what hit em!

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Fri, 28. Aug 09, 12:08

nobby375,

You can add anything you want to try, but only after making sure you have first a clean X3R install and then a working XTM install.

The best bet is:

1) As soon as STEAM reloads the X3R, you can add the bonus pack, then go to x:\....\steamapps\common\x3 - reunion and copy that entire x3-reunion folder to a safe place. You now have a backup copy of X3R that you don't have to wait on STEAM for.

2)Apply XTM to your X3R and make sure you get a good install. If it is good to go, make another copy of the x3-reunion folder and rename it XTM and save it.

3)Now you can add whatever XTM compatible scripts to your XTM install.

XTM Compatible Scripts

If anything burps, all you have to do is copy that XTM archive back in and you can start over.

nobby375
x3

Post by nobby375 » Fri, 28. Aug 09, 18:35

hey guys cheers for the replys.

after a day re-installing and thinking all was going well, ive discovered that the fresh install isnt all that fresh. it seems steam has remembered what my game file looked like and re-installed it exactly how it was. all the scripts were there , as was cat 10 and 11 ect.
just tried a new game start and got the message
the correct mod files cant be detected, your xtm is damaged :(

:evil:

is there any way to manually delete xtm or am i just screwed?

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Fri, 28. Aug 09, 21:28

nobby,

Sorry to hear that.

I don't have any STEAM loaded on this laptop, but from memory you might try a few things. As always back up your save games first as well as your X3R profiles folder.

1)Check your settings on your STEAM interface, I think there is one that says "keep updated automatically etc" it could be that it "knows" to put it all back that way.

2A) Even though STEAM will uninstall the X3:reunion folder it may be keeping the other "status" data. Make sure to throw any switches that say 'delete game data etc" for X3R uninstall.

2B)Is there any chance you didn't get a complete uninstall that last time. Are you running other STEAM games as well? It might take a complete uninstall of STEAM as well, there are settings that will allow you to keep game files, keep all but X3R. Then reinstall STEAM and let it link back to your other games. Then try for a new X3R.

3) If you can, try installing STEAM to another computer and get a clean X3R that way. If that works, you can copy the folder over your other bad install.

4)If you can get a clean X3R vanilla, no XTM, stop using STEAM for it altogether using that link I sent you. You can run X3R and XTM after simply by executing the X3.exe from inside ANY install folder without STEAM at all.

Manually deleting XTM has rarely gone well for most people, there are just too many things that have to be deleted and replaced/repaired.

Sorry for your troubles but the only safe bet I offer most people is to have archive copies of X3R and X3R-XTM to copy back in if they burp.

Last resort, unless you really have to rely on STEAM, I'll bet X3R is under $10 some stores these days.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”