X3 Keyboard Layout and Sector Map in Excel

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RMWChaos
x3tc

X3 Keyboard Layout and Sector Map in Excel

Post by RMWChaos » Sun, 5. Aug 07, 17:14

I'm creating an X3 sector map in Excel as well as the keyboard layout in the links below. Here's a link to the current revision (work in progress):

http://www.savefile.com/files/961363

I'd like some feedback on whether you feel this would be useful and whether I should create a seperate map for XTM or keep them together.

While there is an online map available, the main purpose of this map is to allow players to add their own comments and information, such as the placement of their own property, etc.

Let me know what you think.

I created an X3:Reunion keyboard layout in Excel because it's hell for me to remember all the commands, and I wanted to share it with the community in case you might find it useful too.

There are two files: the first is the layout I made specifically for my Logitech keyboard, but it should be similar to others (it's a pretty standard format).

http://savefile.com/files/946797

The second file is an older one I found on the web, which works, but I didn't like the format. Still, it's always nice to have options.

http://savefile.com/files/946799

These are both in Excel format; so you can modify them to match your keyboard or match your custom X3 keyboard shortcuts. Both are meant to be printed.

Hope you find one of these useful. And please post any feedback or suggestions for changes.

Thanks.
Last edited by RMWChaos on Sat, 11. Aug 07, 04:41, edited 3 times in total.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 5. Aug 07, 19:36

open an account with..

http://www.savefile.com/

- they will host it for free.. :wink:

RMWChaos
x3tc

Post by RMWChaos » Sun, 5. Aug 07, 22:15

Excellent, thank you! I signed up, created a project, and uploaded my files in just a couple minutes. Now I can share my hard work and bright ideas with others on the web. :idea:

This is a great site. Everyone should use it (plug). :D

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 6. Aug 07, 14:51

nice work.. :D :thumb_up:
- I like your colour-coding - smart stuff!!

PS: that older one looks awfully familiar.. :roll:

RMWChaos
x3tc

Post by RMWChaos » Mon, 6. Aug 07, 18:24

:lol: Too funny! Had no idea you were the one who made that other Excel layout. I was looking for a copy of it when I decided to make my own. It was only after I made mine that I found yours saved on one of my other PCs.

To give credit where credit is due, my layout was heavily influenced by the work you did on yours. In fact, I am considering revising mine a bit so that mult-function keys have dual color coding like yours did.

Take care!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 7. Aug 07, 00:18

whatever, dude.. :wink:

- it was the first thing to strike me, when I first purchased the game..

X2 came in a smart box with a black sleeve, showing the keyboard layout
- someone deserves credit for a very cool bit of design-work there..

- X3 needs a nice clear printable guide - good luck!
- lookin' forward to your revision(s).. :D :thumb_up:

PS
- I also made up a couple of leaflet-folder type thingies with MSWord, for the CAG and CLS Bonus-Pack add-ins..
- if only I could figure out how to get them to print A4 double-sided in landscape (- on any printer..)
- I'd re-do them in a larger type-face - they look a bit "cramped" at the moment..

PPS
- another clever trick would be to have the keyboard layout on one side and an A4 sized map on the reverse..
- but that would require quite a bit of "fathoming out"...

..the trials of design, I guess.. 8)

RMWChaos
x3tc

Post by RMWChaos » Tue, 7. Aug 07, 02:32

One thing I was trying to figure out was how to set a printable background behind the keyboard layout. I figured out how to set a background within Excel, but it doesn't print it. I tried adding a graphic and selecting "move to back" but that didn't work either. Even using the "set transparancy color" only makes a single color of the graphic invisible.

The only other way I could think to do it so that the spreadsheet portion was still able to be edited is to copy the spreadsheet over into PowerPoint. The problem with that is all the cell formatting is lost. I will keep working on it.

As for your other documents, link them here and I will take a look. I doubt that I can do as good a job as those new hi-res maps, but I'll do my best. :wink:

RMWChaos
x3tc

Post by RMWChaos » Sat, 11. Aug 07, 04:44

I've added a link to a new file: X3_Sector_Map_With_XTM_Sectors.xls.

http://www.savefile.com/files/961363

Please take a look and provide some feedback on it while I am still working on the project. This way, I can incorporate your feedback as the project is being completed, rather than wait until I have finished it and have to redo something.

Thanks.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 11. Aug 07, 19:02

those "hints" pop-ups are a neat idea.. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”