Towing the Yacht of Pontifex Paranidia

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lassekardos
x4

Towing the Yacht of Pontifex Paranidia

Post by lassekardos » Mon, 3. Sep 07, 18:41

Hi, how do I get the yacht to the shipyard in Grand Exchange? I've tried to tractor it throu a gate but it remains in the sector I traveled from. Same happenes when I use the jumpdrive. Maby it is just me failing at playing towboat but please help :?

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Mon, 3. Sep 07, 18:52

Don't use the jumpdrive, as this will disconnect the tractor beam.
When you are towing the Yacht, just go through the gate and let the autopilot do it's job.
Just wait untill your ship has stopped and wait a while (you may use SETA) until the Yacht comes through.
The tractor beam should automatically lock on to the Yacht again and you can continu towing it.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

lassekardos
x4

Post by lassekardos » Mon, 3. Sep 07, 18:56

Cheers... I'll do that

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. Sep 07, 15:15

I found that the longer the beam was, after you went through the gate, the yaht didnt have the momentum to follow. So I went back through, redid the tow with a very short beam length, and it worked fine. Had to do that at about half the gates, as the tow got longer as time went by.

bravoman
x3ap

Post by bravoman » Tue, 4. Sep 07, 20:26

apricotslice wrote:I found that the longer the beam was, after you went through the gate, the yaht didnt have the momentum to follow. So I went back through, redid the tow with a very short beam length, and it worked fine. Had to do that at about half the gates, as the tow got longer as time went by.
That's strange...I didn't need to do that for any of the gates. I just waited for a bit (maybe 2-3 minutes) and the Hyperion popped out right after me and the tractor re-engaged. Guess I've been lucky :?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 4. Sep 07, 20:31

If memory serves, the beam maxes out at about 2km (the ship in-tow is 2km behind that is). That said, I believe a Centaur will tow it at 80m/s. There should be no problem with momentum.

I've never had that problem at least, having done that mission about 10 times now.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 5. Sep 07, 03:14

I dont think I had the patience to wait 3 minutes for it to pop out. After about 1, I went back to see whats happening. On the subsequent gates, I left a ship in there with it so I could check it, and could not see it moving at all, so went back and redid the tow.

One does speculate if the last patch tidied that up.

bravoman
x3ap

Post by bravoman » Wed, 5. Sep 07, 03:36

@apricotslice

I believe you're right. I read somewhere that the latest patch fixed the towing ships through gates problem. Since I'm running the latest, that must be why it worked for me.

Argon-419
x2

Post by Argon-419 » Wed, 5. Sep 07, 06:58

You think towing a Hyperion is a difficult job.. you aint seen nothin' until you've towed a disabled Xenon J from X101 to Cardnial's Domain [throught the asteroid field and the southern pirate alley mind you] :lol:

I was very skeptical that it would really go through the gates without crashing into it and was very surprised and pleased that it did in fact come through.

Armed_Death

Post by Armed_Death » Fri, 12. Feb 10, 15:12

I tried pushin' the yacht through the gate but it just passed through the event-horizon! Could it be a bug of some sort?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 12. Feb 10, 18:10

No, it isn't supposed to jump if you push it through. Basically, it's a bit of a kluge--you go through yourself and then the supposedly dead yacht fires up its engines and follows you; once it reappears the tractor reconnects. If you do ANYTHING during that period, the yacht will stop moving and you'll lose the link, which is why people often recommend using autopilot.

Incidentally, this thread is ancient; normally I'd lock it, but since the information it contains is still mostly relevant, I'll leave it for the moment. Please don't make a habit of resurrecting old threads, though.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 12. Feb 10, 21:35

pjknibbs wrote:If you do ANYTHING during that period, the yacht will stop moving and you'll lose the link, which is why people often recommend using autopilot.
I call Falsehood!

I've never bothered to use autopilot. What I do is fly through the gate and then immediately (before the ship has come through) jump across the sector to the next gate I need to fly through. Wait there for a bit and once the ship comes through, the tractor beam still reconnects, only now across 10's of kilometers! Just fly through the gate and go and do whatever you want. The yacht will continue to fly across the previous sector. If you keep an eye on it (set a ship to follow) you can jump back into the next sector just before the ship comes through and do the same trick again (if you miss the timing, just tow it back and forward through the same gate). This way, you don't have to waste hours towing the ship, just catch it at each gate. This still works in TC too.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 15. Feb 10, 15:19

Okay, this is not as hard as it sounds. Target the Hyperion. Target the Jump Gate with the second monitor. Select the second monitor and use the Numpad to rotate around until you can see your ships in the view, zooming out. Make sure the gate is flat in the monitor, so you're essentially looking at the flat plane of the gate.

Rotate the first monitor around the Hyperion until you can see the gate. Push or pull the Hyperion until it's aligned dead center with the gate, using the two monitors. Now disconnect the tractor beam, and put your ship dead between the Hyperion and the gate. Align facing the gate, and then gun the engines.

That should do the trick.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Tue, 16. Feb 10, 03:06

I too almost got tricked by that problem when i did that mission but as it happened i had placed satellites in the sectors beforehand, so when i looked back at the Hyperion, i could see it was still moving, so i thought, well, its still moving, so i will continue to wait.
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”