Satellites?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OneStorm
x2

Satellites?

Post by OneStorm » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 14:21

Hi All,

I'm confused about the proper use of the various satellites. To control one's fleet, should all ships have the navigation relay satellite installed or just the one you happen to be flying? Also, how does the advanced satellite work? I've noticed that with it installed I can take over control (say, to fight) of a remote controlled ship in a monitor, but this appears to only work when piloted and controlled ship are in the same sector. Ideally, I'd like to be able to fight in other sectors as well, is this at all possible?

I also remember reading (manual or forum, don't remember exactly) appears to suggest that certain satellites should or could be placed somewhere, am I supposed to drop them off or something?

Thanks, and congrats on a fine game.

MattBlaK
x3tc

Post by MattBlaK » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 14:25

In the old X-Tension you would drop them somewhere safe and then you could control any ships in that system
Adama: What do you hear, Starbuck?
Starbuck: Nothing but the rain.
Adama: Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49221803@N04/4513794198/

Hachiman
x3tc

Post by Hachiman » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 16:20

MattBlaK wrote:In the old X-Tension you would drop them somewhere safe and then you could control any ships in that system
Same applies in X-2.....You have to eject them from the freight bay into a safe area and then you can remotely trade in and monitor that system whenever you are someplace else!
Safe area:- Anywhere they're not going to be destroyed by bad buggers.....After coming through a gate,flying straight up or down or behind the gate can work....Some X-ers like to place them inside trading stations,shipyards,close to structures etc. A little experimentation is called for.....
Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari
[Victory comes while the sword is[still]in the scabbard]

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 4. Jan 04, 16:45

You don't need navsats to control your fleet in X2, because your ships all act like satellites. You only need satellites to remote trade in sectors where you have no ships.

Silencex
x4

Post by Silencex » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 13:43

but if I'm in sector X and transport is in sector Y,

do both sectors need a satelite to place the transport on my mini-monitor?
I always loose signal when I leave the sector.....

Also, can I steer a transport when I'm in the same sector and when i'm not in the same sector?

and whath are the advantages of adv sats?

thnx

S.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 15:19

Silencex wrote:but if I'm in sector X and transport is in sector Y,

It's never possible to keep a transport on a mini-monitor when it's in another sector. The stuff that happens in "other" sectors is greatly simplified in order to reduce processor load--if X2 was doing the same amount of processing in all its sectors, you'd need a 43GHz P4 to run it properly--and so there simply isn't enough information available to show a mini-monitor view of a remote sector.

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 15:41

pjknibbs wrote:
Silencex wrote:but if I'm in sector X and transport is in sector Y,

It's never possible to keep a transport on a mini-monitor when it's in another sector. The stuff that happens in "other" sectors is greatly simplified in order to reduce processor load--if X2 was doing the same amount of processing in all its sectors, you'd need a 43GHz P4 to run it properly--and so there simply isn't enough information available to show a mini-monitor view of a remote sector.
In the scheme of things this is not a tremendous loss but I'm not surprised people are bemused by this as it was an expectation that it would be possible to see activity in another sector using the minimonitors.

I have to say that this expectation was stated on innumerable occasions by large numbers of regulars and does not seem to have been denied. Neither was it confirmed, I grant you, but I actually think it was a bit off to not clearly deny it would be possible.

It is just one of the reasons some people are peeved by the alleged failure to 'fulfill the promise of X2'. I don't happen to agree with them but I see where the more rational complainers are coming from.

As it is, PJK you do put it in a very extreme fashion. A minimonitor into another sector would entail switching on the full processing of another sector not the whole shebang. Certainly you would need a beefy machine and this would get worse with multiple mini-monitors but it surely is feasible.

I might observe that it is a problem I would have thought they need to give some thought to even if they intend to run XOU on the server-farm to end all server-farms....

Jasp
Arms, my only ornament; my only rest, the fight. ~ Don Quixote, Cervantes

Silencex
x4

Post by Silencex » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 18:16

Where can I find these cameradrones then?
(or was that the reason they where left out?)

http://www.hrh1000.com/x2/pics/camdrone.jpg

edit: image too wide, sorry -Ap.

Met
x3tc

Post by Met » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 18:39

pjknibbs wrote: You only need satellites to remote trade in sectors where you have no ships.
What dou you want to trade without a ship :?

Met, hopefully not stupid :wink:

vault666
x2

Post by vault666 » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 19:23

Perhaps when you want to buy a new SHIP....
Place sats in sectors closest to your facs that have shipyards/wharfs so when you lose a transport to pirates, etc. you can easily purchase another one and send it on its merry way.

Silencex
x4

Post by Silencex » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 19:39

What's the diffrence then between adv sats and normal ones? only range?

Shadowfax2
x2

Post by Shadowfax2 » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 21:49

Advanced Satellites have cameras as I recall...mind you I haven't used the capability.

Personally when I place a satellite I goto the center of the sector and then straight down about 25k. I find they get destroyed less often that way.

I decided to place one in President's End 62k above the ecliptic but then all I could see were stations and not ships! Ha!
W2k, P4 2.6Ghz, 512 ddr ram, Gforce2 64M.

Personal Log Entry 764-07-09 00:54
...has left his ship Pirate Mandalay. This ship is now owned by you.

Your Ship Your Mandalay was destroyed in sector Herron's Nebula by East Gate.

Wow, tough neighbourhood!

Rurouni Storm
x3

Post by Rurouni Storm » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 22:10

Where can I find Advanced Sats?

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 23:19

Remember your satellite's scanner's locus is a sphere. Placing it significantly above the plane of the ecliptic will reduce the amount of stuff it can see - and you will be misled by the sector map, because it's just a 2D top-down view. Try pressing "Ins" while looking at the map - if your satellite is way up or down, you'll get a clear idea of what I mean.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

CanadianBrit
x4

Post by CanadianBrit » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 23:22

In the main I find a sat in Kingdoms End, Seizewell, Family (Njy), Omicron Lyrae, Paranid Prime and Getsu Fune are all that are needed.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 23:45

Not Omicron Lyrae, because
Spoiler
Show
it will get destroyed when you (quite rightly) leg it from that huge Khaak bugger that's going to kill everybody.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

MikeStalker

Post by MikeStalker » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 23:52

I tend to drop sats kinda everywhere to keep up on the action, Since evrything seems to happen within 10KM of the ecliptic plane I put my ADVANCED navsats at about 55KM above it and watch the things as they happen, normal navsats dont work though because its so far up their radius does not extend down far enough.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 00:23

I use the script Advanced Nav Sat Warning System, which requires adv nav sats to be placed. The script would warn me that there are Khaaks in the system. Beat going over my asset list, under sector and check every sector for Khaaks. I have more than 50 factories spread out across the universe.
I am currently in the process of phasing out nav sats (the plain ones) that have been placed prior to using the script.

bluey222
x3

Post by bluey222 » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 01:15

What about sectors that you have factories in? You don't need a sat also in that sector to remote trade with your ships, do you?

Debio
x2

Post by Debio » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 01:17

i, also, have been trying to figure out how to get the camera on the AdvSat to work. The ingame description says it has visual capability but i always get the 'no signal' condition when i leave the sector. i thought i just hadn't figured it out yet, not that the feature does not work.

pieces...
-==::: MD Corp :::==-
Struggling to survive

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”