Dragonfly Missles

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Pogi
x2

Dragonfly Missles

Post by Pogi » Mon, 24. Sep 07, 04:51

Why in the world when I shoot a Dragonfly missle at something it acts like a "dumbfire" missle, but whenever the NPC uses them they track me? Is this being caused by a script I may be using or is this supposed to be this way? Furthermore: Is there any right-up with more detail about the missles in this game?..Thanks
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

Predator02
x4

Post by Predator02 » Mon, 24. Sep 07, 06:15

The AI has a tendency to cheat. Try setting your ship on autopilot in a fight and watch it occasionally fire it's main guns in 2 directions at once.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 24. Sep 07, 15:09

Indeed.

Another one:

When approaching a pirate [anything really] when they're shooting at you, their main guns track you as you strafe/turn, but they continue to fly straight...

If I had to guess, I'd say they can fire their forward guns 30° in any direction from their straight line of fire.

Neat trick, wish my ship could do that. :)

As far as a write-up, check the X-verse forum stickies. There should be a missile guide in there somewhere.

For personal preference, I tend to only use disruptors (on M5/M4) thunderbolts (on M4/M3) and typhoons (on M6+). I rarely bother picking up anything else (except hammerhead/firestorms) except early game.

dz_duck
x3

Post by dz_duck » Mon, 24. Sep 07, 16:56

The player can shoot his main guns in two different directions to some extent. Try shooting a combination of PACs and HEPTs at a target moving quickly across your nose. The targeting computer adjusts the lead of each gun independently (when using the Auto Aim setting, at least), so the PACs fire at a different angle than the HEPTs.

I wonder if the main guns track the direction you're looking. So if you look to the side, the guns shoot that way, at least out to a certain angle.

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Tue, 25. Sep 07, 04:42

Well I tell you what.To me it is frustrating as all get up, to come across a squad of N's thinking I will have no problem dodging their "dumbfire" Dragonflies, but end up getting NOODLED by them instead...Is there not some script guru out there that can equalize the playing field with these missles?..I would love to have the Dragonfly back again as a tracking missle. Dadnabit! There are many things in X2 that I miss now in X3. Where are the holes in my astroids that I used to hide from the Xenon in?!

Arrrg!...Time to go take my pill..... :lol:

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 25. Sep 07, 13:59

Scripting won't affect missiles, unless you set their missile fire probability to 0%.

Changing the missile specs requires editing the TMissiles file in the cat file.

For what it's worth, I made all my missiles seekers, and they're 1.5x more powerful. That works both ways, getting hit by one (any one) relly hurts.

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Wed, 26. Sep 07, 02:16

@fud...Could you PM me or post your changes to the TMissiles..I would like to try that out.

I don't think I would mind hard hitting..Missles are supposed to hurt...Have you tweaked the Mosquitos? "speed, range etc."

Thanks

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 26. Sep 07, 14:11

All missiles got a 1.5x increase in damage and 1.2x increase in blast range (you really don't want to be anywhere near a hammerhead when it touches off). Most also got speed increases too.

War is hell now. :)

Open Tmissiles with doubleshadow's text editor, find the damage value for each one (in the right pane), increase it to whatever you want. It's cake. :)

A note though, don't go crazy with it. Months ago with an earlier editor (new one is more descriptive), I ended up giving the hammerhead a blast damage of 50000000 and a blast radius of 30km....

Oddly enough, when it detonated, it killed everything in the sector and the game. An abbreviated explosion followed by the desktop. :)

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 01:59

:o ...Wow....I probably won't mess with the radius...What is the trick for making Dragonfly's "track" again..Thanks

Boris_The_Blade

Post by Boris_The_Blade » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 07:35

dz_duck wrote:The player can shoot his main guns in two different directions to some extent. Try shooting a combination of PACs and HEPTs at a target moving quickly across your nose. The targeting computer adjusts the lead of each gun independently (when using the Auto Aim setting, at least), so the PACs fire at a different angle than the HEPTs.

I wonder if the main guns track the direction you're looking. So if you look to the side, the guns shoot that way, at least out to a certain angle.
Dont think it shoots to the side, just because your looking there....dont have time to go sight seeing these days....damn pirates!

The reason the fire is different because the speed of the weapons is different, therfore different angles so they all hit the ship if it stays its current course......pretty smart, now if we get the autopilot to see that damn asteroid before crashing into it.......

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 13:53

Pogi wrote::o ...Wow....I probably won't mess with the radius...What is the trick for making Dragonfly's "track" again..Thanks

Cake:

When in the editor, uncheck the "dumb" tick box for the dragonfly. This will make it a seeker (works for the others as well, firefly, etc). :)

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 14:17

@fud...Thanks a bunch for your help...Cheers :D

defiant1
x4

Post by defiant1 » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 15:14

which cat file is it located in? I wanna make my missles more or less "even" for the playing field...
Teladi Next Minute Shipping®

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 15:42

I had that same question earlier because I was having problems getting it to open in X3 editor..I posted here:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=103977

and got this reply from Jakesnake5:
TMissile version 47 is from BEFORE X3 2.0. 2.0 changed the number of offsets each entry has, and was unreadable by the current version of the Editor back then.

With a 2.0 compatible version of the Editor, it cannot READ the pre-2.0 X3 TMissiles file, as it has an extra offset per entry, and is not usable in 2.0 at all.

Try opening the TMissiles file in the 08 cat/dat, that's 2.0.
So if you are using the "newest" editor you will find it in #8...Make sure you have the Devil plugin installed as well...You can find it at Doubleshadows site...Cheers

defiant1
x4

Post by defiant1 » Thu, 27. Sep 07, 15:44

Now to make a few changes and bring the missles up to speed...hehehe...
Teladi Next Minute Shipping®

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”