xenon invasion bbs mission and lag solutions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kryten
x4

xenon invasion bbs mission and lag solutions

Post by Kryten » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:34

Just completed my first xenon invasion mission and the lag nearly made me quit. When I first zoned in there was nearly 30 xenon and lag was there before I even got near them.

I saved and tried to approach the battle, but it was nearly impossible to kill anything with the lag, after a few kills I took a different approach. I pulled up about 10k from the battle and stopped. I started firing hornets. 2 per L but didn't try the Ms due to the slow speed of the hornet. I got a few kills but with needing 2 hits per target it was pretty much hit and miss.

Eventually I started picking targets that had drifted from the main battle and although this was slow I eventually got to a stage where I could join the main fight. After the battle I was very pleased and decided to make that my last invasion until I got the message and my reward :wink: Nearly 1.5 million and a ship count of 23 kills. I didn't realise I'd killed so much in my little eclipse.

Anyways, because the reward was so good I've decided to do it again if the opertunity arises and have some questions about how to make the experience a little more enjoyable.

What missiles would be the best to use for one shot kills on Ls and Ms, something preferrably that doesn't cause proximity damage as they where constantly swarming a destroyer, don't want to annoy my friends :wink:

Can I bring a fleet with me and just let my own ships do the majority of the work or would that affect the reward as in is it linked directly to my personal ship kills.

Do my turrets getting a kill count as my kill and if so would it be easier to bring an m7 in and just let the turrets do the biz while I ride out the sea of Lag 8)

I've tweeked my system as much as I can so I'm going to have to live with the big battle lag so really I'm looking for suggestions on how to succeed where lag is going to be unavoidable.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:41

You can use your turrets.

Dunno about using a fleet.

Turn all the settings down as far as they go, then turn them down further :P - it does not need to look pretty. The large sum of money you will recieve will look positively beautiful ;) (~6mil if you get the last hit on a M2, more on a M1 afaik, the L's are worth about 50K each too)
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:42

You get mission credit, and hence reward, for any mission Xenon any of your ships kill. This is true even if you're OOS. You just don't get any combat rep, or police license rewards. You do, however, get race rep. So to solve your problem, send in a fleet to do your dirty work for you, and sit back and collect the rewards. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:44

Nothing will kill a fully shielded L in less than two hits. Your best option for XI's tho is Thunderbolts. They take up little space, don't cost too much and are relatively quick and long duration.

2 to kill a fully shielded L
1 to kill a 75% shielded L
1 to kill an M

If you have an M7 then go for the K first for a 6mill bonus. Ram it if necessary, it's got weak shields so you'll come off better.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:46

Anything you own that gets a kill counts in terms of shipcount & reward.

The reward for fighter ships is actually quite small - the major money is for killing Ks and Js (they show up at higher fight ranks).

I prefer tempests to hornets if I'm using missiles. The only 1-hit kill missiles would be hammerheads or firestorm torpedos - neither of which are very likely to hit on a fighter that's actually fighting, and both have large blast radii (like 1-1.5km).

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:51

Turn all the settings down as far as they go, then turn them down further
I have to keep shader quality on high, if I turn it down I get graphical glitches that just get worse the longer I play, saying that I only have x2 and x3 on the pc, getting 120fps for x2 and around 30 average on the x3 benchmark, ingame play is very smooth until I get into fights with more than a few ships.

I'd need to replace the motherboard/cpu but that isn't an option atm, hence some creative workarounds :lol:
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:53

Carlo the Curious wrote:...
The reward for fighter ships is actually quite small - the major money is for killing Ks and Js (they show up at higher fight ranks).....
If you kill all the fighters in a 'jumping J' XI mission, you'll get the same reward as for a single J or K. It's 5-6 million for killing all the fighters from one J, about 100 in total. So if you have patience, and the combat ability, it's definitely worth your while to kill as many fighters as you can. Not to mention the race rep and combat rank gains you can get from all those kills. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Wed, 17. Oct 07, 23:54

Thats good to know about the OOC thing, thanks for the missile info.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 00:26

What causes alot of the framerate drop in upper level XI missions is the PPC shots. An argon titan and a J/K waveing up to 80 of those guns around is alot of stuff for the game to keep track of.

For example an argon Titan can have up to 1,040 active Gamma PPC shots at any one time and we've haven't gotten to the 16 beta PPCs it carries. Add in 10 - 20 Xenon fighters, the Js jumping in/out, the rest of the AI defenders and what ever forces you bring to the party. If that wasn't enough let's add "Scale Plate Green" just for kicks. You now have something that makes alot of mid to low end PCs cry in pain.

So I modded the B/G PPCs on my game so that there was ~45% less of those shots active overall. It's just a matter of cutting the ROF and then bumping up the other stats to keep them inline with the standard PPCs. I also ran a "kill all rocks in X" since I don't bother with mobile mineing unless forced to. I now have a frame rate in those missions that allows me to snipe Ls with BHEPTs in the hyperion.

ReggieReddog
x3

Post by ReggieReddog » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 04:32

I say this a lot, but I was pleasantly surprised at the performance boost I got when I ditched my integrated sound.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 18. Oct 07, 09:25

I would just bite the bullet and chuck a Hammerhead into the fray. One hit isn't likely to annoy your destroyer friend too much.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”