Which of "reward" ships after collecting ship from "unknown sector" below Maelstrom?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ricmatgre
x3

Which of "reward" ships after collecting ship from "unknown sector" below Maelstrom?

Post by ricmatgre » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 15:49

I just been rewarded with the M2(?) that you have to collect from the "Unknown Sector" below Maelstrom while working towards being given a Trading Station. After taking the blue print back to Kingdom End I was rewarded with an M3, but I had to choose one out of three differant ships - Eclipse, Chimera and Medusa.

Which do you think is best and why? I decided to take an Eclipse because of the weapons and sheild. It may be the slowest, but I reckon the best protected.

Thanks. RMG

danleach
x3tc

Post by danleach » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 16:00

I always seem to go for the eclipse, dunno why, i just like the look of it :)

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 17:11

I always went for the eclipse too. Seems the best of the 3.

I decided this time around to choose the chimera so i can use PBE's to cap stuff. Works ok so far.

My advise would be to save and try them all in a pirate sector and see what feels better for you.

Kha'ak

Post by Kha'ak » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 17:36

That's, an M3+ class. Choose the "bug"(Eclipse), it's the best M3+ (besides the Xenon LX).
"So long as you continue to be so predictable, you are your own worse enemy" (Sarah Kerrigan)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 18:57

actually I like Medusa, (since my primary fighter is Perseus Raider)
I've yet to use it though, it's been parked in my M7, along with LX... which i've yet to use too :roll:

I like it because of speed and weapons
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 22:52

Yeah, pick whatever looks the best to you because it's probably just going to be eye candy to sit next to your Hyperion anyway.

Gammel

Post by Gammel » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 22:59

I chose the Chimera the first time around, and wasn't happy with it because of the fact its turrets could only mount mass drivers. I guess if you wanted to make a mass driver armed fleet, they'd be the way to go, but otherwise, no.
Second time around I chose the Eclipse. I actually think its the best looking of the three buyable M3+'s. I set it to guard one of my transports. But lost it to some roving Xenon.
Which was kinda Ironic cause not long after that I capped an LX.
!!! Caution!!!
Signature lost!
Please contact your Admin!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 22. Oct 07, 23:27

I'd never choose the Eclipse, simply because I always steal at least one from some weapons dealer long before I get offered the Bala Gi mission. The Eclipse is the only one that gets used by the NPC's beforehand. So I always go for the Chimera, for it's speed, looks and weapons loadout. I don't like PSG's, so the only way I'll get a Medusa is by capturing one later. :fg:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 00:11

I generaly pick the one I don't have the race rep to buy at the time.

Best of the three buyable m3+s is the Medusa hand down. It can take on anything the other M3+ fighters can and do something the other M3+ fighters can only dream about. Kill any Kha'ak cluster with guns on the first pass. Even the LX comes up short against the big clusters. This ship tends to be the most common fighter in my fleet. I have a pandora tuned Medusa that runs conquor level XT missions and clears pirate alley with few issues. It's compact size means most of the stuff shot at me misses.

The chimera makes for a nice interceptor or hammerhead bomber with AB1 (461m/s).

The Eclipse clearly holds the title of "suck mobile". It's only slightly harder to hit than a orca. While it has a 125MJ sheild it recharges so painfully slow it's not of much use. Being the M3+ with the lowest firepower is yet another negitive point against it. Might be of some use in OOS patrols but there are cheaper options for that.

Kha'ak

Post by Kha'ak » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 20:54

The Eclipse clearly holds the title of "suck mobile". It's only slightly harder to hit than a orca. While it has a 125MJ sheild it recharges so painfully slow it's not of much use. Being the M3+ with the lowest firepower is yet another negitive point against it. Might be of some use in OOS patrols but there are cheaper options for that.
That's why I call it "the kitchen bug"; but for some tasks it's better than Chimera or Medusa. The LX is by far the best, I would like one of those to be offered for free.
"So long as you continue to be so predictable, you are your own worse enemy" (Sarah Kerrigan)

apricotslice
x4

Re: Which of "reward" ships after collecting ship from "unknown sector" below Maelst

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 24. Oct 07, 05:41

ricmatgre wrote:I just been rewarded with the M2(?) that you have to collect from the "Unknown Sector" below Maelstrom while working towards being given a Trading Station.
Umm, can we clarify this please ????

What you meant to say was ....

"I'm doing the BalaGi missions, I've collected the (M7) Yaht from the unknown sector below Maelstrom while working towards being given the Player Headquarters, and been given it as a reward (the M7), and now....."

Honestly, the OP is so far off the mark the reaction at first is "Huh !, what is this person talking about ?). Sorry, not having a go at you, but getting your facts right is sort of essential before asking a question !

ricmatgre
x3

Post by ricmatgre » Wed, 24. Oct 07, 20:03

Thanks for the advice apricot. Tell you what though bud - - you have part of your brain removed and then see if you can remember exact details of such a complex thing without writing them down!

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Wed, 24. Oct 07, 21:23

Chimera IMHO is a pretty bad ass personal ship. Great ship for those who loved the Mamba Raider. Perhaps its outclassed by LX but one doesnt get LX ships just like that.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

jimmydude
x3tc

Post by jimmydude » Wed, 24. Oct 07, 21:39

but one doesnt get LX ships just like that.
Really? They're my main commodity - sell for 2mil+cr or a lot of goodies in the PHQ. Of course, it gets much easier after you cap the first and max it out... and rig it with 4xAHEPT and 4xBPBE for those caps. I only use the HEPTs for killing M3/M4 hulls and wailing on TS/TLs nowadays... Lots of stuff gives up the will to live if you pound it with those PBEs... :wink:

Eclipse is a well-rounded ship, but soooo ugly! What were Egosoft thinking?! Medusa is handy though... mmm... PSG spam... 8)

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 25. Oct 07, 03:44

ricmatgre wrote:Thanks for the advice apricot. Tell you what though bud - - you have part of your brain removed and then see if you can remember exact details of such a complex thing without writing them down!
I feel like that all the time ! :)

And my desk is full of paper because I DO write it all down ! :roll:

I also use my forum as a link storage devise so I can find things in here again.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”