Mac OSX 10.4.10 & X3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

a54bclw

Mac OSX 10.4.10 & X3

Post by a54bclw » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 15:38

I have an Imac computor with2.16ghz Intel
core duo processors, running Mac OSX version 10.4.10
I am new to gaming and am unsure if X3 will run on my machine now, and with the new OSX Leopard that is coming out on 10/26/07.
This game looks totally cool and I would love to buy it but am unsure if it will work on my system. Can any one help??

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 16:10

You are asking in the wrong place. The Mac version was developed by Virtual Programming and they are probably the only people who would be able to answer your question.

a54bclw

Post by a54bclw » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 16:13

Thanks for your help and a quick answer!

a54bclw

X-Morgan
x4

Post by X-Morgan » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 19:16

Maybe I can help you a54bclw

I've got a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM and the 256MB variant of the GeForce 8600

On the Mac version done by VP it run reasonably well, although there is times of graphical corruption such as the entrance lights on the gates being big black placeholders. Also Postprocessing doesn't work and it seems that even though everything is turned to 'High' there is lack of dynamic lighting and shader support running. (You can see the difference when looking at the Station background in the Main Menu)

On the Windows BootCamp install, the game runs absolutely amazing. 1440x900 with 4xAA and 16xAF and everything stays very smooth and stable.

My suggestion is that you use BootCamp. The X1600 should be fine for X3.

Just steer clear of Cider wrapped Mac games, it's a waste of money. It's a virtualised Windows version and since X3 runs on DirectX the performance will never be satisfactory.

Hope this gives you a rough guide. The 8600 is better than the X1600 and about twice as fast, so the Mac version will be alot worse than mine.
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world" - NERV Motto

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 23. Oct 07, 19:28

I can echo X-Morgan. I'm currently using a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with 4 Gigs of RAM. I'm also running it on an external 23" Cinema Display (the latest one). I run at 4AA and 4AF at 1920x1200, and it runs smooth as silk. Oh yeah, I'm also playing the XTM mod. As a point of reference for you, I did buy and d'load the Mac version of X3 just to see how it compared. It was noticeably slower than my Windows version. So if you run on a Windows partition using Boot Camp, I think you'll be happier. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

parameter
x3tc

Mac X3 v Win X3 on Mac

Post by parameter » Wed, 24. Oct 07, 09:42

I agree with everyone. I have already mentioned in one thread that you would be better off as a Mac user to run pc version of X3 via Windows on Bootcamp. We use present top end G5 Intel Quads, you can almost feel the blast in your face and the centripetal force pushing you down in the seat.

I am waiting to buy the new 45 nano Mac Pro due out soon for my own use!
Need to inherit, win a lottery or have rich friends to buy Apple kit but it is worth it..... eventually!

:lol:
veneratio supernus omni

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”