[X3] Autopilot+Jumpdrive+SETA bug.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Havner
x4

[X3] Autopilot+Jumpdrive+SETA bug.

Post by Havner » Sat, 3. Nov 07, 03:18

I found a strange (though not very annoying) bug. When I hit 'J', select sector, then turn on SETA, the jump is accelerated as it should be, the female voice gets only to around 20%, then I jump.
But when i order my ship to jump through autopilot (jump to sector) and then hit SETA it doesn't affect it. It takes exactly the same time with or without it to jump. The lady always gets to 100% before the jump.
Its repeatable 100%.
It doesn't affect ship I'm not piloting. When i order one to jump it jumps much faster when i turn SETA.

X3 2.0.02 + BP, no 3rd party scripts, just Galaxy's cockpit mod. SETA set to 10x (thought checked 6x, the same).

I think my computer configuration is irrelevant on this one but will post it later if needed.

Fed

Post by Fed » Sat, 3. Nov 07, 06:21

I can back you up on this one, I noticed it yesterday too. 2.0.02, no mods or anything.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 3. Nov 07, 11:07

Yes, this is a fairly well known issue and has been around since X². Since, as you say, it's not even very annoying, let alone actually a problem, it has clearly never been considered worth spending time trying to change.

Fed

Post by Fed » Sat, 3. Nov 07, 16:48

Yeah I concur... I borrowed my friends X3 and tried it in 2006 and never even noticed it until yesterday, probably because I almost never use navigational commands, especially jumping, for the ship I'm already in.

I've definitely run into a few mission-related bugs when playing again though... For example after my mine was placed in Priest's Rings it never prompted the video of the paranid saying it'll take one hour to dig to the required spot, so the story was stuck and I had to load an old savegame. And another was that when I found Kyle, the part of the mission where you fly inside the asteroid followed by Khaak, when I spawned I flew out of the passage, x no longer worked for accelerate, tab did (huh?), and I followed the Khaak instead of the other way around :p Totally reproducable from my savegame too. I don't remember these bugs from v1.3!

Havner
x4

Post by Havner » Tue, 6. Nov 07, 15:11

CBJ wrote:Since, as you say, it's not even very annoying, let alone actually a problem, it has clearly never been considered worth spending time trying to change.
Its not that small issue after all. I'd consider it now as quite annoying.
After I started to use wingmen this whole thing showed up in new light. I have to use autopilot "Jump to sector" command so they will follow me. 'J' is not enough. And this got 2 drawbacks. First described above, that SETA simply doesn't affect jumping and it is an issue now as I need to use that command. Second: when I will use SETA anyway being on that command, my wingmen are affected by it and end up jumping before me. Having found themselves in new sector seeing I'm not there, they return to original sector (by gates). And they continue to do so even after I finally make my jump.

I'd really like to see this SETA jump issue fixed.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 6. Nov 07, 15:20

Well I'm afraid it is highly unlikely that it will.

Havner
x4

Post by Havner » Tue, 6. Nov 07, 15:24

CBJ wrote:Well I'm afraid it is highly unlikely that it will.
And why's that? As you say it is a known bug. Patches in general are supposed to fix things. I find it really strange that devs refuse to fix one. Really strange to hear something like this from technical support. "We know there is a bug, we refuse to fix it."

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 6. Nov 07, 15:37

It's not a question of "refusing" to do something, it's a question of balancing priorities. There are several reasons why it is unlikely to be fixed, some of which I can go into, some of which I cannot.

Among the ones I can go into is the fact that, your comments notwithstanding, the problem is extremely minor. This is demonstrated by the vast majority of users who don't even encounter it, let alone find that it causes them problems in-game.

Another reason which requires me to dig deep into the memory banks, and which may therefore not be 100% accurate in all details, is that a "fix" for this which was applied back in the X² days was found to cause more problems than it solved. As a result it had to be reversed, and if memory serves correctly no sensible alternative fix could be found.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”