Can you turn your ship for strafing while still going along your initial projectory?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mcduke

Can you turn your ship for strafing while still going along your initial projectory?

Post by mcduke » Mon, 5. Nov 07, 00:41

So, you're moving forward using your main engines and instead of using the thrusters to steer the ship in a different direction, can I turn off the inertia control ( for redirecting the ships heading) and use the thrusters for turning the ship to the side (for straffing or even flip the ship around backwards to shoot at a ship that's directly behind you) while still heading in your original heading, then use thruster to face your ships original heading, turn the inertia control back on to steer your ship to a new heading? I'm new to this game and there's quite a learning curve, so please bear with my questions.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 5. Nov 07, 00:47

Not in standard x3. One of cycrow's scripts allows you to do this. Not quite figured out how though >.<

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 5. Nov 07, 12:31

- a reverse gear would be a laugh, too.. :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

jlfrank68
x3

Post by jlfrank68 » Mon, 5. Nov 07, 17:22

"Didn't you see my reversing light you silly Boron!" :D :lol:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 5. Nov 07, 19:17

Newton laws have not been discovered in X3, so there's no realistic "intertia"

however, you can make sharp turns (in the fighter) and shoot back.
The ship will travel forward (or so it seems with big ships), but only for a very short time.

You can always try flying in reverse (I do it in Dragon), though it's limited to 10 m/s on all ships
Lancefighter wrote:Not in standard x3. One of cycrow's scripts allows you to do this. Not quite figured out how though >.<
sort of, but not quite (didnt try it myself though)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”