[?] Custom wares / EMP?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Whuppee

[?] Custom wares / EMP?

Post by Whuppee » Sun, 18. Nov 07, 19:03

I'm quite sure that this has been asked before. My apologies for needing to ask it again.

FWIW: I have tried several searches (here and on google), read through the tutorial sticky, read through several modding guides (linked from that sticky)...

And I've not yet managed to find an answer.

IIRC, this guide has the answers I'm looking for.. but the site seems to be down. So.

What are the differences between Custom and EMP wares?

(why use one or the other, are they mutually exclusive, pros / cons...?)

To add a ware to the game (custom or emp), what editors do I need (if any)? What files do I need to edit / create?

And.. not to dissuade anyone from posting an informative response.. but a link will suffice for an answer. I'm just looking for a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 18. Nov 07, 20:50

the site should be back up now

http://x3.ircwhore.co.uk/help/wares/index.html

but basically, EMP is an extended mod that adds alot of wares to the game. This allows scripts to pick one of them to use, and doesn't require u to create a mod for it. As making a mod would make it incomtable with any other mods that add wares.

the main differences between custom wares and EMP is that Custom Wares are only created when u have the installed script, whereas EMP all the wares are always available, but they just arn't used and dont have text.

also custom wares are more customisable, with EMP u have to pick a slot to use, and the settings are fixed, ie, u cant adjust the price, notority required, etc which u can with Custom Wares.

and also, Custom Wares allows u to change the volum and cargo class of the ware as well.

the main downside is that scripts using custom wares can only be installed via the plugin manager, whereas EMP based scripts can be installed by other means

Whuppee

Post by Whuppee » Mon, 19. Nov 07, 00:24

Awesome, thanks :)

Aside from incompatibility issues, I'm preferring the sound of custom wares.

Am I to understand that all mods adding custom wares will be incompatible with each other?

Or only when there's a WareID conflict?

I've now got a custom ware ingame / displaying correctly. Many thanks to you/r pluginmanager and guides :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 19. Nov 07, 02:52

no they wont be incompatable, as custom wares files are generated automatically based on whats installed, it means u can install as many custom ware scripts as you like and they will all work together, including with any mods u might be running as well, which isn't possible to do by just modding the ware files.

essenianlly, the pluginmanager combines all the custom wares into a single file and appends it to the current wares files

Whuppee

Post by Whuppee » Mon, 19. Nov 07, 10:26

Wow. That's awesome.

Thanks for the responses, Cycrow. You've been a terrific help.

ninjitsumonk
x3

Post by ninjitsumonk » Tue, 20. Nov 07, 12:35

Cycrow wrote: the main downside is that scripts using custom wares can only be installed via the plugin manager, whereas EMP based scripts can be installed by other means
not that this is exactly a downside as plugin manager script can be activated/deactivated at will, with normally little or no harm to your game.
Archeo Avis wrote:
if you take out phrasing and root notes and just look at the notes, they are the same
So what you're saying is, if you ignore everything that's different and focus only on the one thing that's the same, they're same.

Good God.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 20. Nov 07, 16:08

ninjitsumonk wrote:
Cycrow wrote: the main downside is that scripts using custom wares can only be installed via the plugin manager, whereas EMP based scripts can be installed by other means
not that this is exactly a downside as plugin manager script can be activated/deactivated at will, with normally little or no harm to your game.
well the only downside is that some ppl refuse to use the plugin manager, so some scripters release thier scripts in both formats, something thats not possible if u se Custom Wares.

but if u only plan to release them as spk files then its not really a problem at all

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”