Crossing Maelstrom without Seta.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stephen Croft
x3

Crossing Maelstrom without Seta.

Post by Stephen Croft » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 12:09

I went to pick up at M6 from the Unknown sector where the M7 was. Got the Eclipse and another M7 to jump in for support. As I got into Maelstron 4 pirates attacked. I was alone. The Boon pirate astarts with the Boron show you how to fight BS. The M7 comes through. The Boron says for the Queen fiollowd by aargh. :lol: The back up had arrived, but not before my seta had gone and half my hull. Crossing the sector and getting to the Teladi dockyard took for ever. :roll:
Regards Steve

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 12:33

Moments like that are -why- I have LV's Cheats installed. Turn on the script, give yourself SETA drive back, and thank GOD that cheats exist to let you cut off annoying parts of the game and actually focus on what's enjoyable.

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 12:55

Actually I'm the opposite, stuff like that is what makes my games memorable otherwise its just like working a factory production line. Everything the same.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 13:00

Because nothing says excitement like watching your ship slowly move in a straight line from point A to point B for 15 minutes straight.

For me, if I break out my DS and turn on Elite Beat Agents to pass the time while playing another game, something is -very- wrong.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 13:09

Gothsheep wrote:Moments like that are -why- I have LV's Cheats installed.
What, you do not own a Disco to remotely fetch a replacement? :o

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 14:16

Why? Does it add something fundamentally to the game to remotely buy a fighter, load it with SETA, and send it out so I can slowly watch it cross space to get to me, and then transfer the cargo just to be able to use a gameplay element that shouldn't require a freakin' object in my cargo bay to begin with?

Azanor

Post by Azanor » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 14:56

Yes. It offers Planing, resource management, facing being in deep space difficulties. Preparing a rescue team and keeping it always aside, sending it when you need it. Knowing you are playing a space game taking being in space serious. Taking those elements some people find annoying out of X universe would change it fundamentally .

What some people see bothering difficulties, others see as one of the most complicated and addicting space games all times. The beautiful part is its completely customizable. Anything you dont like about it, its modifiable.

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 15:27

Gothsheep wrote:Why? Does it add something fundamentally to the game to remotely buy a fighter, load it with SETA, and send it out so I can slowly watch it cross space to get to me, and then transfer the cargo just to be able to use a gameplay element that shouldn't require a freakin' object in my cargo bay to begin with?
you should keep a starburst loaded on your m7 fully loaded with upgrades so if you need to transfer a seta or transporter device you can. the starburst or arrow works great for this because they're so freaking fast the wait for them to get to you is as short without seta as waiting for another ship with seta.

JMCorp
x4

Re: Crossing Maelstrom without Seta.

Post by JMCorp » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 15:29

Stephen Croft wrote:I went to pick up at M6 from the Unknown sector where the M7 was. Got the Eclipse and another M7 to jump in for support. As I got into Maelstron 4 pirates attacked. I was alone. The Boon pirate astarts with the Boron show you how to fight BS. The M7 comes through. The Boron says for the Queen fiollowd by aargh. :lol: The back up had arrived, but not before my seta had gone and half my hull. Crossing the sector and getting to the Teladi dockyard took for ever. :roll:
why were you piloting the thing yourself? jump in with a TL fly to the m6 and take control. transporter device the jumpdrive, nav com, and ecells from the TL and order the m6 to jump to a safe sector to dock at a safe shipyard like omicron lyrae or cardinals domain. then you go to your landed emergency backup ship and pull the jumpdrive and nav com from that ship so you can jump the TL back out...

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 15:49

if you read carefully, he was collecting the M7 so how was he supposed to dock something at it?

The fact you have to drag the thing at such a low speed for a stupid distance means that this must of been one of the worst thought out missions in the whole bali gi addon
About the name - i was lost for a name on the forum and looking round, then a Bob Hope film came on, and i thought "that will do nicely"

i was born and raised argumentative i dont mean to offend ...... sorry

ReggieReddog
x3

Post by ReggieReddog » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 15:53

If you had really wanted to do it the easy way, earlier in the game you would have claimed the Nemmy, had it jump near the grand exchange shipyard, tow the M7 in a different M6 or TL at 80 m/s, then switch back over to the Nemmy when you get near the shipyard. equals free Nemmy repair and a fast tow of the M7.
Or I guess you could just forget the whole thing and script yourself a dozen M7s and Nemmys to get around any hassels.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 16:08

That's exactly what I did--I transferred the JD, Nav software and some e-cells from my Centaur to the Nemmy and jumped it to Grand Exchange, then used the Centaur to do the tow. 80 m/s makes the tow a lot less time-consuming; once I reached the shipyard I transferred the JD etc. back from the Nemmy to the Centaur, put the tractor beam in the Nemmy, and used it to tow the M7 the last 2 or 3 kilometres.

I've also used a Boron Orca to tow the M7 on one occasion--that's actually quite fun, because getting the Orca's massive rear end into a position where you can tractor the M7 without colliding with all the rocks around it takes some planning.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 16:19

I'm about 3 game days in on a new game (can't remember how many times I've restarted), haven't used SETA once. I don't even have one on the ship(s) I fly. If I "acquire" a new ship with it, I eject it.

I like playing it this way a whole lot better. :)

Commander Stanster

Post by Commander Stanster » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 16:45

I cant find the west gate in Maelstrom for love nore money and need to get through it as part of a bala gi mission for my first complex!

Nightmare.

Is their a ship you can claim in this sector?

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 17:41

west gate is somewhere around 180km west of center iirc. watch out for mines near the south gate in the next sector unless you're flying anything tougher than a pigeon with a limp

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Crossing Maelstrom without Seta.

Post by Nanook » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 18:07

Stephen Croft wrote:....The back up had arrived, but not before my seta had gone and half my hull. Crossing the sector and getting to the Teladi dockyard took for ever. :roll:
This is precisely why I install a SETA drive in EVERY ship I own, even the lowliest factory freighter. If you'd had SETA installed in your other ships, a simple transfer would have saved you all that time and bother. In fact, every ship I personally fly, or that might fly with me, has every personal extension installed I can find. Never hurts to have a backup. SETA, don't let your ships leave home without it. :P :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Commander Stanster

Post by Commander Stanster » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 18:46

-180km directly on the axis?

This is impossible :x

Well found the gate and now need to find ship in this sector and cant see/find anything

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Fri, 30. Nov 07, 21:41

bob hope wrote:if you read carefully, he was collecting the M7 so how was he supposed to dock something at it?

The fact you have to drag the thing at such a low speed for a stupid distance means that this must of been one of the worst thought out missions in the whole bali gi addon
reading comprehension is something i always scored very high on in school. i dont think i've lost the touch now...

he said "going to get the m6 where the m7 was, jumped in another m7 for support" i'm paraphrasing but im pretty sure that's what he said.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Sat, 1. Dec 07, 00:56

Bottom line, not everybody finds boring waiting = fun. If you do, hey, more power to ya'.

Stephen Croft
x3

Post by Stephen Croft » Sat, 1. Dec 07, 02:01

In the scrap by the gates I got 3 unknown objects. :lol:
Regards Steve

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”