Good M2?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SunFire
x3tc

Good M2?

Post by SunFire » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 14:53

Am thinking of buying an M2 soonish, and am wondering what m2 to get, the Titan looks prety cool. Any one know any really good ones? I noticed the Titans alot cheaper then Most of the others, so im guessing it aint the best one?

:?

:x2: :thumb_up:

MikeStalker

Post by MikeStalker » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 14:58

The titan has "uses" , however bang to buck ratio I think the centower does a little better. Just cant sent it into a zenon sector and expect it to hold against the J's and K's on its own, but for keeping presidents end clean.. its plenty.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 15:14

Centaur is an M6, of course, so not really relevant to the question...although it's certainly a very powerful ship.

Undoubtedly the most powerful M2 is the Paranid one, but that's because it can mount Phased Shockwave Generators and they're the most overpowered weapon in the game.

ManiacDC
x3

Post by ManiacDC » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 20:52

actually i have a theory as to why the PSG's can be so powerful; at least against large M1's and M2's

you may say i am defending my fav weapon; but hey

When a PSG shoots; it shoots out in a giant wave; each point of the wave causes damage; when you attack a large ship; much of the wave hits the ship; causing extreme damage

however according to this theory these weapons should do less damage to smaller ships- which they do i think

s1l

Post by s1l » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 21:14

And only the paranid ships can install those weapons ?
What is with Split Raptor ? I like that Ship...

GnatB
x3

Post by GnatB » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 21:48

There is that from a "explanation of why how it works isn't a bug" point of view...

But from a "how it's a bug and what's happening game-wise point of view" It seems that each update the "wave" is in contact with a ship, the ship takes damage. Since cap ships (and stations) are so much thicker than a fighter, a single shot will take far longer to "pass through" the cap ship/station, causing far more damage than it would to the fighter.... you can actually hear the ratatatatatatatatat as it hits several hundred times in rapid succession as the wave "travels through" the ship.

However, a fighter flying towards you will take FAR less damage from a PSG blast than a fighter flying away from you... and pity to the fighter who turns away just as the PSG reaches him and is flying at the same speed as it... he's toast as he'll keep getting hit by it until he dies.

A single shot from a PSG can do almost 100MW of damage to a stations shields... but won't even finish off the shields of a M5 flying right at you at full speed.

Sgt. Dubious
x2

Post by Sgt. Dubious » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 22:03

Its also a range issue, at close range the pressure field is very small (thus less damaging), increasing until its maximum range where it seems to hang in space and expand a bit more.

Watching the AI fight off a Khak M3 with them from 3rd person you can see how incredibly weak they are at point blank range.

Mehrunes
x4

Post by Mehrunes » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 22:30

ManiacDC wrote:When a PSG shoots; it shoots out in a giant wave; each point of the wave causes damage; when you attack a large ship; much of the wave hits the ship; causing extreme damage
That would mean that the energy from a PSG is spread out over a much wider area so that for a given volume the PSG would only carry a fraction of the energy of, say, a HEPT bolt (which concentrates all of it's energy into a very small packet). The damage would be so spread out that a heavily armored/thickly hulled ship would suffer almost no damage from it whatsoever, but a lighter ship might still be beat up pretty bad. The HEPT bolt, on the other hand, would have enough energy concentrated in a small volume that it could penetrate even the heaviest armors.

ManiacDC
x3

Post by ManiacDC » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 06:15

yes; but that all depends on the energy of the bolt in the first place

however Phased shockwave generator
it is not a bolt but actually a giant shockwave of some sort; therefore it's energy properties would be different and would in fact cause more damage when it hits a large area; that is why the psg stinks against hulls- due to the fact it is not concentrated; but against shields it is great because it attacks the full range of the shields at once; the shields in this game are evenly powered throughout the whole ship

Fergrim
x2

Post by Fergrim » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 06:43

No matter how argue it, no one weapon should be so drastically better than all the rest. PSG is supposed to be a specialized purpose weapon, not an all round best.

ManiacDC
x3

Post by ManiacDC » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 06:49

Fergrim wrote:No matter how argue it, no one weapon should be so drastically better than all the rest. PSG is supposed to be a specialized purpose weapon, not an all round best.
sure... in the idealistic world i guess... but in real life... some weapons are plain better than others... and that is a fact.

Fergrim
x2

Post by Fergrim » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 06:51

We're not dealing with the real world, we're dealing with a video game. Video games strive for balance, because balance makes fun.

And which weapon, in the real world, is the all round best?

ManiacDC
x3

Post by ManiacDC » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 07:03

i am not a weapons expert so i couldn't say

but isn't this a simulation game which means it tries to emulate the real world? not create the perfect world?

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 07:35

If you want to compare the PSG balance to the real world, then consider the idea that North Korea suddenly developed antimatter particle beams while everybody else is tooling around with mass drivers.

Mehrunes
x4

Post by Mehrunes » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 09:14

ManiacDC wrote:but isn't this a simulation game which means it tries to emulate the real world?
Well, I'm sitting here pretending to be a Jedi Consular with a lightsaber and superhuman Force powers on a quest to save the Galactic Republic from the evil clutches of the Dark Lord Malak and his endless Sith hordes. If you can point out the areas in that which emulate the real world I'd like to hear about it. :wink:

Holywhippet
x3

Post by Holywhippet » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 10:26

I've only once been attacked with a PSG and that was when attacking a pirate vessel in my Argon Nova. I was shocked by how quickly my shields were dropping and I had 3X 25MW shields installed.

nexus09
x2

Post by nexus09 » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 10:37

Well, I'm sitting here pretending to be a Jedi Consular with a lightsaber and superhuman Force powers on a quest to save the Galactic Republic from the evil clutches of the Dark Lord Malak and his endless Sith hordes. If you can point out the areas in that which emulate the real world I'd like to hear about it.
Awesome, awesome game.

Are you dark side or light side? I did both but I think my dark-side character was more fun to play (isn't it always ;))

oh... and back on topic... um... x2 is cool and isn't filled with bugs and horid copy protection... yeah :roll:

Fear
x3tc

Post by Fear » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 10:42

Sgt. Dubious wrote:Its also a range issue, at close range the pressure field is very small (thus less damaging), increasing until its maximum range where it seems to hang in space and expand a bit more.

Watching the AI fight off a Khak M3 with them from 3rd person you can see how incredibly weak they are at point blank range.
That is BullS**T!! the energy of a weapon remains the same. Thus the small wave at first should have the same damage as the big wave when you get hit by it all. If it's to big and some of it passes you, you should get less damage. The energy(damage) is spread out over a larger area. That would explain why a M5 gets less damage as it's allot smaller then an M6 or M2. But at point blank it should do full damage.

Compare it to a shotgun, at point blank you get hit with all the shards, but at 25m only a small fraction hits you, thus doing far less damage.
Fear
--------
"Black holes suck"

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 12:25

Holywhippet wrote:I've only once been attacked with a PSG and that was when attacking a pirate vessel in my Argon Nova. I was shocked by how quickly my shields were dropping and I had 3X 25MW shields installed.
It's scary when you attack a pirate ship and find it suddenly unleashing PSG bolts (or, possibly worse, Ion Disruptor blasts) from its rear turret. It's even scarier when you try and fight an Orinoco armed with dual BPSGs--those things can knock out 50MW of shielding in about two seconds and then they start eating away at your hull...

Carne
x2

Post by Carne » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 14:30

Fergrim wrote:We're not dealing with the real world, we're dealing with a video game. Video games strive for balance, because balance makes fun.

And which weapon, in the real world, is the all round best?
There is a weapon called Metal Storm, i don't believe it is in service. But it is an electronic gun .. well it uses electricity to fire bullets rather than a mechanical system. Due to this you can create a large surface covered with barrels millimeters apart and when it fires you get, essentially, a thick wall of bullets - also due to the electronic approach it fires faster too.

Also, no gun is going to fair well against some dude hiding in a bunker with his finger on a red button to launch x many "nukes"...

Sorry - you're question was demanding an answer :wink:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”