[MOD] UniTrader's HUD-mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

subaluigi
x3tc

[MOD] UniTrader's HUD-mod

Post by subaluigi » Mon, 17. Dec 07, 19:29

Salut à Tous, :)

finaly I decided to open a thread here to make UniTrader's HUD-mod avaiable for everyone. UniTrader is a German user and he allowed me to share it here.
>>UniTrader's German thread<<

Okay, what the HUD-mod does:
It changes big parts of the HUD:

- New icons for ships - In fact, they're still the old ones but surrounded with a bright bobble.

- Changed stationicons - a small symbol shows the product of the factory (only Hi-Tech factories).

- improved frames - they're re-adjust to suit the shipicons.

- a new gravidar - the level has been replaced with the X2- gravidar and has a 70% transparency. The middle now has been exchanged with a dot and the lines to the objects now are much more easy to see.

- a new crosshair - it is completly new styled to suit the new shipicons. The missile-warning is now shown with a red circle around the crosshair, the warning for to much speed when docking is now shown in a yellow coloured cycle.

- modified shield and hulldisplay - the fragmentation in segments has been removed, they are now shown as one line.

- a couple of trivia I don't know anymore

some screenshots:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3 - the new warningsymbols
Of course in game it looks much better, take a look to my videos :)
There you can see the HUD-mod in action.

***HUD-Download*** (it contains also the XTM-version)

Why an extra- XTM-version? XTM inserts the rockbeetles and the shivandragons, and changes some little things as much as I know, so a new symbol was added and the rest is now customised.

Installation:
You need a .zip-software to unpack it. win.zip or win.rar should do it (perhaps googel for it - if you don't have it yourself -should be freeware) and than just install the right version. There are 2 folders: one for normal X and one for XTM (which comes along with the rockbeetle and the shivandragons, so a new symbol was added). Each with a german, english or french version. Should also work with other languages, but the directions in the HUD could be named in another way, but don't be afraid installing it, it will work ;)
You have to put it in the x- main-installation folder. There should be already some cat/dat- files called maybe dat 10, cat 10. So if your highest cat/dat is namend 18, just rename the HUD-mod to 19 and put it there, than start the game and *tada* (the false-patch-method) :)

NOTE: If you start a new game with the HUD-mod you have all the improvements but if you want to deactivate the mod you need however a "deactivation-mod" because some modified data get stored in the savegame.
So, if you are not sure about, if you want to keep the HUD-mod, then start a game without the mod and just activate it later.

Known bugs:
If you start a new game with the mod and than you decide to remove it, your mouse-curser gets invisible. Savegames started without the mod don't have this problem. But you can resolve the problem when using this "small-mod" which contains the original HUD and an additionally mouse-cursor. (It doesn't work with the XTM, but if you want, UniTrader will make one for you, just ask me here)
Installing it works like above explained. Make sure you remove the old files and name the "small-mod" like the old one and replace the datas (give them the same number).

For other modders:
If you want to use the HUD-mod and use it as part of other mods you can do it, if you don't forget to mention UniTrader in the credits, and it would be nice if you also add a link to this and the German thread and tell UniTrader so he can make a list which other mod is using it. You don't have to wait for response, telling him is enough ;)

If you have questions you can ask Unitrader here (he is able to speak English) or in the German thread. Of course, you can ask me, too.

Have fun, merci beaucoup,

Louis
Last edited by subaluigi on Sat, 17. Apr 10, 08:00, edited 3 times in total.
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨***modified***
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨and proud of it!!
'Cause X without scripts is like girls without tits...

another new video of the: >>Terran Conflict<<

Ecthelion
x4

Post by Ecthelion » Mon, 17. Dec 07, 23:30

I've been using it for a few days now, and it's great! I highly recommend trying it. Using it with XTM really makes X3 feel like a new game.
Windows Windows 7 Release Candidate (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
ATI HD 4850 1024MB
8GB RAM

-----------------------------------------------------
Pirate Identification Guide

tinnermans

Post by tinnermans » Sat, 29. Dec 07, 22:38

I absolutely love the HUD, so big thanks to both Unitrader and Sabaluigi.

I have just one little gripe with it though. I find the icons overall (especially stations) a tad too bulky for my liking. So I went and extracted the gui_master.dds from the catalog (or .dat rather) and started changing it. However, after saving it again as a DDS and inserting it into the .dat file I'm running into some problems with it not showing properly. In all probability I'm using the wrong DDS profile but after having tried most of the profiles I still have had no luck. Saving it as a 24 bit DDS results in the exact same filesize but it doesn't seem to have an alpha channel.

I've googled and searched elsewhere in the hope to discover some information about which formats the game accepts and uses, but I can't seem to find any useful info about this.

Any help with this would appreciated.

Regards,
Tinnermans

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 29. Dec 07, 22:42

what is the programm you have used to edit the file?? i have used gimp with an dds-plugin i found via google and it worked well in the first try..

i will add both links in a minute..

EDIT:

here the programm i have used to create this mod:

Gimp with DDS-Plugin

and here another program whic an edit dds-files, but i have never used it:
Paint.net with DDS-Plugin
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

tinnermans

Post by tinnermans » Sat, 29. Dec 07, 22:48

I'm using Photoshop myself, with the Nvidia DDS plugins. I've always used this combo for other games and it always worked well.

When saving the DDS in Gimp, do you get any control as to how to save the DDS? If so, could you give me info about the one you're using?

Thanks!

tinnermans

Post by tinnermans » Sun, 30. Dec 07, 00:12

Okay, I've found the problem.

Saving the DDS as 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 bpp | unsigned without MIP maps seems to do the trick.

Thanks again for this great addition to the game, and I hope you don't mind me tailoring it to my personal needs a bit :)

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Sun, 30. Dec 07, 02:08

Love this mod. been using it for a while now, shame the XTM version makes the cursor huge though hehe

[ external image ]

also would it be possible to get a replacement icon for the east gate for english users?

excellent work :D

subaluigi
x3tc

Post by subaluigi » Mon, 31. Dec 07, 18:22

Salut à tous, salut xavierd, :)
would it be possible to get a replacement icon for the east gate for english users
:gruebel: erm, is the English version not correct with east and west?! :oops:
Haven't tested it myself, cause I'm using a French game. In that case, it seems I have to contact UniTrader and ask him to get the right icon. I'm not a modder myself, I don't have any knowledge in doing it myself.

Can someone confirm that the English version uses a wrong icon. If though, is it the XTM- version or the normal one? Or even both?
xavierd, just to be sure, u installed the right version for your Game?
Well I'll see, what I can do.

Salut tinnermans, :)

merci for your PM. As I can see, your problem is solved. Don't be shy to ask again, if there is a problem.

Ah, and finally the mod can be found in the unsigned script and modding-area. So it doesn't get lost anymore :)
Btw, the year is over soon, at least here. In other areas it's already next year! I wish everybody a happy new year! C ya soon!

Bonne année!

Louis

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Mon, 31. Dec 07, 18:33

oops... had this a while and didn't know there was an english version :oops: to be honest i don't notice the O instead of E anymore or even the large cursor, the whole package just works so well

downloading english version now 8)

EDIT: english version has correct icons :oops: silly me

subaluigi
x3tc

Post by subaluigi » Tue, 1. Jan 08, 14:30

Salut xavierd, :)

no need to excuse. I think such things happen to me all the time, too ;)
At least the download package here contains all needed versions and they seem to work. So, no work for me, contacting UniTrader and no work for him editing his Mod.
Merci for your reply :)

Merci, à la prochaine,

Louis.

PS. About the curser. Hmmm... haven't realized it myself how big it is. lol. It works so fine, that I forgot the big thing myself, too :D
I'll leave it how it is. Of course, u still can complain about it.^^ Bye

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Tue, 18. Mar 08, 17:32

I 've installed the mod yesterday and I like it.

One, but not the only, thing I like about it is the bigger/different crosshair.
It is easier for me to see than the standard one, I have some kind of "colour blindness" and during combat in certain sectors I need to strain more to stay focused on it.

Is it possible to edit the colours on your Mod , to make it easier for me.
I don't mean for you to do it, I mean would it be hard for me to edit it until I find a combination that suits me best.

I really only have some difficulty with telling the difference between my ships and the enemy ships ( it sounds worst than it is), when in combat I'd like to select more contrasting colour shades.

I have no experience at all with scripting or modifying X3.

Thanks for making the MoD anyway.

subaluigi
x3tc

Post by subaluigi » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 03:54

Bonjour Brinnie, :)

I'll go and ask UniTrader hor help, since I don't have any knowledge in doing something like that either. But be patient, I'm sure it will take till weekend. But we will see,

à bientôt,

Louis

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 08:30

No hurry.
No worries anyway, even if it can't be done I still like it.

Thank you.

StormSinger
x4

Post by StormSinger » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 17:30

It's a relatively simple matter of changing the color layer in the gui_master.dds.

Only you can tell which colors will suit you though, so that may be a bit of a problem for someone else.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 17:48

StormSinger wrote:It's a relatively simple matter of changing the color layer in the gui_master.dds.
Sorry, I don't understand that.

12.cat and 12.dat are the only files in the mod folder, do I need a program to explore the files , like an extractor or unpacker.
Can you give me some more info.

I have no experience with modding X3.

StormSinger wrote:Only you can tell which colors will suit you though, so that may be a bit of a problem for someone else.
I agree, I would be prefer to be able to do it myself.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 18:07

@Brinnie

can you post me the Colors you want for Enemy, Friendly and your Ships?? i will see what i can do for you ;)

(TIP: use the color Bar in the New Post-Page ;) )

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

StormSinger
x4

Post by StormSinger » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 19:20

Brinnie wrote:
StormSinger wrote:It's a relatively simple matter of changing the color layer in the gui_master.dds.
Sorry, I don't understand that.

12.cat and 12.dat are the only files in the mod folder, do I need a program to explore the files , like an extractor or unpacker.
Can you give me some more info.

I have no experience with modding X3.

StormSinger wrote:Only you can tell which colors will suit you though, so that may be a bit of a problem for someone else.
I agree, I would be prefer to be able to do it myself.
If you and UniTrader can work out the colors then you should be set. For future reference, you can browse/add/delete/extract the files in a cat/dat using Doubleshadows Mod Manager.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=108888

The .dds files involved with the HUD are viewable with a number of programs (like IrfanView). But you'd need something like Photoshop--with the proper export plugins (from nVidia)-- to actually work with them. Working with the alpha layer probably isn't required since your issue is with the colors.

Sorry if I'm making this sound more complicated than it really is. :wink:

@Unitrader btw, I've always liked this HUD. It's been one of my favorites for a while now.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 19:58

Thanks very much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** *** *** EDIT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just figured out how to use the colour thingy, had I managed it before I would have saved myself at least 30 minutes of typing.

Player lightest @@@@@
Player Darkest @@@@@

Enemy @@@@@
Enemy @@@@@

Friendly @@@@@
Friendly @@@@@

you could leave the Friendly as they are.

Ta.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I am going to delete the rest of the post , It's become redundant and takes up too much space.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Thu, 27. Mar 08, 21:02

>> UniTrader.

Hello.

I 'm not being pushy, I was just curious.
Are you still going to change/modify the colours for me?
Know that I am not expecting you to.

Now comes the embarassing part.
If you are, would it be too much trouble to change the Enemy crosshair/reticle colour too, to something like

@@@@@
or
@@@@@
or even both together or cycling (with matching trailing lines).
I am guessing that either colour should clearly stick out against the Red enemy target background.

I understand if you do not have the time to accomodate such bizarre request.

EDIT:

Or perhaps a better idea, if you don't mind and think I could manage it, you could explain to me how to make the changes.

Cheers.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 28. Mar 08, 05:35

i am still on it, but i had no time for this last WE.. i will do it this WE ;)

in base this change is something simple bu i cann't explain it in englisch.. :oops:

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”