mass driver efficiency?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tai Gordon
x2

mass driver efficiency?

Post by Tai Gordon » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 13:15

hi all

becuase i had no good luck hunting khaaks with my dragon (4x G-HEPT, 1x A-PPC) i thought that i might need a whicked :lol: weapon to burn sóme khaak's a..
i thought about 5 Mass Driver...they shoot sharp, fasr and penetrate the shields...so they might be a good to choice to hunt Khaak - no i don't want to use PSGs

what do you think about Mass Drivers?

i hope you can help me
greez
tai

Qilue
x4

Post by Qilue » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 13:25

Try instead a BHEPT and Ion Disrupter on a Nova (or any other fighter that can carry an Ion).

Khaak ships have heavy shields and the ion disrupter will strip the shields off a ship very quickly.
Skill counts for nothing when an angel pees down the touchhole of your musket.
- Anonymous soldier.

Tai Gordon
x2

Post by Tai Gordon » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 13:27

i dont like the nova and the dragon can't use the ion disruptor

untouchable

Post by untouchable » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 14:03

Dragon is M6, Nova is M3, use M6 Boron Hydra with Ion instead :lol:

Qilue
x4

Post by Qilue » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 14:10

Tai Gordon wrote:i dont like the nova and the dragon can't use the ion disruptor
I guess you'll have to suffer then. Those of us that like the Argon Nova are enjoying the ability to mount an Ion Disrupter. :D
Skill counts for nothing when an angel pees down the touchhole of your musket.
- Anonymous soldier.

Foss
x4

Post by Foss » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 14:21

Since the Khaak have good shields but rather low Hull i would give the Mass Driver a try.
Why wasting time with melting a Shield when u can just put a Bullet thru like in good ol´Times :wink:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 16:56

Tai Gordon wrote:i dont like the nova and the dragon can't use the ion disruptor
Try a Split Iguana TP, then. It can mount Ion Disruptors, is fast (308 m/s), and works extremely well as a capturing platform...

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Fri, 9. Jan 04, 21:00

pjknibbs wrote: Try a Split Iguana TP, then. It can mount Ion Disruptors, is fast (308 m/s), and works extremely well as a capturing platform...
A little too well really, last time I went hunting I got:

2 Orinoco's
2 Mercury's
4 Pirate Ship's
1 Bayamon

Plus a hold full of slaves, weed, spacefuel and missiles from failed captures that went boom. Talk about easy money.

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Sat, 10. Jan 04, 08:43

The mass driver has strenghs and weaknesses, like all weapons.

The major strength is the speed of shots. They are so fast, that there is virtually no target leading needed. This means that turrets almost always hit when they are using this weapon.

The weakness is that it does very little hull damage. Even two mass drivers in a Dragon's turret against a M5 will need 20-30 shots to kill the target.

Because of its speed, though, it makes an excellent point defense weapon in a turret set missile defense. It will take out incoming missiles with as much efficiency as a PSG.

MY personal oppinion is that the weapon needs to have its damage increased, or be made into a "normal" weapon that does shield and hull damage. THe direct hull damage sounds nice, but it makes the weapon useless to use in combinations with other weapons.
You were warned... pirates will be hunted down like vermin.

Ex Turbo Modestum

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Sat, 10. Jan 04, 10:39

Another way of balancing the mass drivers would be to let them score critical hits on equipment/upgrades. Currently I don't think they do; I've shredded xenon and pirate M4's with mass drivers, and they don't seem to lose any of their stuff. If they had a chance at destroying equipment, even at only 12 hull damage, that 20 shots per second ought to be worth something. Or whatever the turret's firing rate is, it doesn't seem to fire mass drivers at full speed.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”