Can you Tractor Asteroids...???

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alec_trev
x3tc

Can you Tractor Asteroids...???

Post by Alec_trev » Wed, 9. Jan 08, 08:46

Can you tractor asteroids through gates, i have found very good asteroids and want to drag them to the sector where i set up my PHQ (i am currently thinking eitehr avarice, or one of the large unknown sectors) so far all my attempts to even get a tractor on an asteroid have failed let alone a gate, can anyone help please??

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 9. Jan 08, 08:57

1. You cannot tow Asteroids. You can tow your own stations.
2. You cannot tow stations through Gate.
3. Commodity Logistics Mk1 can haul resources to your HQ from distant Complex.
4. Do you really want many stations eating framerate in the sector where you have your PHQ? (Assuming you tend to visit PHQ.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Alec_trev
x3tc

Post by Alec_trev » Wed, 9. Jan 08, 09:35

damnit looks like that 93 ore asteroid will have to stay whereit is
thanks for the help!

Neonjaeger
x3

Re: Can you Tractor Asteroids...???

Post by Neonjaeger » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 14:09

Alec_trev wrote:Can you tractor asteroids through gates, i have found very good asteroids and want to drag them to the sector where i set up my PHQ (i am currently thinking eitehr avarice, or one of the large unknown sectors) so far all my attempts to even get a tractor on an asteroid have failed let alone a gate, can anyone help please??
Try this: Your Ship, the TL and the Astroid are in the same sector. Order your ship to jump into an other sector. If the jumpdrive is fully loaded, order the TL to build the mine. If you see after this first the TL, second the wormhole and third the mine, you have moved the astroid/mine from one sector to an other.
it works with 2.0.2 and 2.5

Ulvetann

Post by Ulvetann » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 14:15

Sooo, are you saying by this, that you can tow the mine (which is stuck to the stroid through the gate?!

(Didn't quite understand the description about the wormhole-thing...) :?
/Ulvetann

Neonjaeger
x3

Post by Neonjaeger » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 16:09

Ulvetann wrote:Sooo, are you saying by this, that you can tow the mine (which is stuck to the stroid through the gate?!

(Didn't quite understand the description about the wormhole-thing...) :?
I say The astroid/mine jump together with your ship in every sector you want. You can call it Astro-Spring-Bug.
The wormhole-thing is the animation before you enter a sector.

RichG
x2

Post by RichG » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:08

can you describe the exact process in clear steps please as I really don't understand how to get that to work, thanks :(

parameter
x3tc

Tow jumping a mine

Post by parameter » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:23

Get TL to build mine on asteroid!

Lock on to the mine with Tractor beam from your TL.

Tell TL to jump to wherever it is you require but ensure you have the Ecells.

(Neonjaeger, Is that right?)
veneratio supernus omni

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:33

I think what he means is:
1. Order your ship to jump.
2. Build the mine (before you jump, or possibly as you jump).

ceogreen
x3tc

Re: Tow jumping a mine

Post by ceogreen » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:36

parameter wrote:Get TL to build mine on asteroid!

From reading his post it sounds a little more complex.

You have to build the mine while your ship jumps.

From reading Neon's post I'd guess the order is

1) Get your ship and a TL with the mine aboard (not yet deployed) into the sector with the asteroid you want to mode.
2) Order your ship to jump to the sector you want the mine.
3) Before the jump is complete deploy the mine from the TL to the asteroid. It sounds like the timing of this stage is critical and you have to see the wormhole cutscene (that you normally get when you use a jumpdrive/jumpgate) between the 2 cutscenes you see for station construction (the first is the TL the second is the station).

Like I say this is just what it sounds like from reading the post, it does sound like quite a bug.

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:43

Oooooo, I gotta try this, just because it sounds cool!

I still don't see how the game engine will relocate the factory, since you're choosing the location before the Ship can jump, but maybe the factory placement function/subroutine doesn't kick in until after the cutscene, and it only uses the coordinates you selected before the ship jumped, instead of also remembering the sector.

I'm surprised that issuing the build command doesn't cancel the jump.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

parameter
x3tc

Lug a Bug Tug

Post by parameter » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:48

Quite a bug if that is so! I initially thought he meant deploy mine just after he ordered TL to jump but could not quite believe it. I shall try that out tonight.

** Breaking news! Menelau's Sector totally wiped out by pillock accidentally jump towing what he thought was a mine but instead turned out to be a Sun going Supernova. His carbon molecules showed high Beer content, his cadaver will be strapped to the East Gate for you to spit on!**
:lol:
veneratio supernus omni

Neonjaeger
x3

Re: Tow jumping a mine

Post by Neonjaeger » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:49

parameter wrote:Get TL to build mine on asteroid!

No, this is not right.

1. The TL with the mine, the astroid and your player ship are in the same sector.
2. order your player ship to jump into an other sector (shift + j).
3.If the jumpdrive is fully loaded ( the computervoice say the last words before jumping, in the german Version "Sprungantrieb geladen, iniziiere Sprung"), order the TL to build the mine on the astroid.
That´s it.

Edit: Carlo the Curious and ceogreen are faster
Last edited by Neonjaeger on Fri, 11. Jan 08, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

RichG
x2

Post by RichG » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 17:55

wow that's going to take some timing! :D
Guess i'll be trying that this weekend, wonder what happens when there is something in the same place in the target sector when the mine appears? :twisted:

parameter
x3tc

Aha, vorsprung durch technik!

Post by parameter » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 18:04

So you jump your self out of sector as you give your TL the command to build mine on Asteroid in that sector. Then the moment your mine is built it appears in the new sector you jumped to! (Nodding his head wisely but his brain is shrouded in a mist of confusion) I know Mist means something you do not want to step in in German, so swap Nebel for Mist... if you are German that is! Ahem
:oops:

Actually I think that is right because I told TL to build a mine in Sector, 93% Ore, and, prior to that to stop Collision avoidance problems , I set jump to Antigone Memorial, or was it Kingdom End. Either way I ended up in a new sector, locked onto my new mine. I did that last night after a reload of X3 + Bala Gi. Have to try it again tonight to prove it!
veneratio supernus omni

Skyblade
x3tc

Post by Skyblade » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 05:48

if it is a repeatable bug lets hope it wont get fixed by egosoft :twisted:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 08:54

There are no plans for any further patches, so you're probably safe to use this exploit if you wish. I wouldn't use it personally, but it's a single player game and you can bend the rules as much as you like while playing it, since you won't hurt anyone else. If you're prepared to go to this much trouble, though, why not just use the script editor to spawn a suitable asteroid where you want it?

Alec_trev
x3tc

Post by Alec_trev » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 09:57

well this does sound interesting except that whenever i jump there is NEVER a green tunnel cut scene so i will experiment

and i don't use the script editor because my programming and computer skills extend about as far as making text go pretty colours and bold :oops:

EDIT: also may i ask what inspired someone to try jumping sectors while they made a factory???

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 10:19

Alec_trev wrote:EDIT: also may i ask what inspired someone to try jumping sectors while they made a factory???
Maybe to fetch the next batch of factories for the Complex?

Clearly an exploit of a bug. Bug being that the factory is placed in the sector where the player is, and player is allowed to change sector between choosing the location for the station and the moment the current sector is checked.

IIRC, there is a script to randomize the location of asteroids in order to force the player explore rather than check from net the good sectors. And even with default map the location of asteroids offers a challenge to plan logistics (the Think). With the above exploit one can gather all "suitable" asteroids into one sector and build just one complex. :cry:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Skyblade
x3tc

Post by Skyblade » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 10:26

i only use bugs like that if it works to my advantage
this one does not so i wont use it.(i also dont have the timing to get it right)
all the good asteroids are where i need them anyway :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”