What do you use Squash Mines for?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Danya Turrel
x4

What do you use Squash Mines for?

Post by Danya Turrel » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 22:15

In another thread they are being used to get rid of troublesome (supposed to be) friendly lasertowers.

I thought maybe you could mine gates, but that would hit a lot of friendly traffic.

What can they be used for?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 22:25

Regular SQUASH mines?
They are good for... turning random races hostile one by one.

If that is fine with you they can serve as an extremely cost and maintainance intensive way of blocking traffic.
This is because of their 1.5 km blast radius. That always blows up the whole minefield at once so you will be replacing it nonstop.

Actually, there is a combat use.

Fly into a Khaak cluster and drop 1 mine.
Say good bye to cluster.
Detonate.

It would be wise to have 3+ full 25 MJ shields for that. Accidents happen yaknow?
Last edited by Gazz on Wed, 23. Jan 08, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Asmayus
x3

Post by Asmayus » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 22:26

Pirates sometimes carry and drop them while your on their tail. Or so I've heard.

You could do the same in say, a xenon sector. Don't know how efficient it'd be though.
Squash mines as offensive weaponry.

Only marginally less effictive than
Lasertowers as offensive Weaponry*

You know that dolphin SF you have? "har har me hearties, come and get some!" :wink: :P

*Ah, not tested :D

karl_1_marx
x3

Post by karl_1_marx » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 22:48

Only use I'd be able to think of, where they actually do something good for you is to place them around your satellites. This way BOTH attacking fighter, the satellite and as a free add-on all the mines around that sat will die....

Otherwise, Mine factories are heard to be as profitable as the Booze/Weed ones.

And to Asymayus: Have you ever even TRIED lasertowers?

Cheers

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 23:28

A single SQUASH mine will instantly kill nearly all scouts in a split Kha'ak cluster.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 23:33

karl_1_marx wrote:And to Asymayus: Have you ever even TRIED lasertowers?
Have you? =P

Cost of 1 TS + 80 LT: maybe 13 MCr.

Cost of fully decked out Teladi M2: well over 100 MCr.
(chose that one because it's the heaviest shielded M2 - others die faster)

In 160 seconds 80 LT annihilate the M2, losing 6 or 7 LT.

And if you argue that it was an easy and slow moving target... against small ships a decent number of LT works much like a gimongous industrial strength bug zapper.

Qualifies for offensive weapon in my book. =)
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BrigandPhantos
x2

Post by BrigandPhantos » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 02:38

Just a thought, but you could probably line squash mines around pirate bases and their Lasertowers as a means to blow it up, along with the Lasertowers in the process. The blast damage is cumulative right?
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!

May profitsssss go with you!!

Visit me on myspace!

Alec_trev
x3tc

Post by Alec_trev » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 06:32

can you use like the explorer software from bonus pack, to lay a minefield or LT screen instead or is it just nav sats?

karl_1_marx
x3

Post by karl_1_marx » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 08:27

Alec_trev wrote:can you use like the explorer software from bonus pack, to lay a minefield or LT screen instead or is it just nav sats?
Either this or - as I seem to remember - Fleet Support Soft. Always have both on my ships, so I'm not absolutely certain which. But what I do remember with certainty is that that soft automatically drops a 2km cube if enough mines are on board.

Cheers

Last edited by karl_1_marx on Thu, 24. Jan 08, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 10:53

Readme, FSUP 1.15, Command: Drop Freight wrote: Dropping Squash Mines
If you select a Squash Mine to be dropped, the commands will enter Create Minefield mode. In this mode the ship will place 8 Squash mines within 2km² of the target position. If the ship doesn't have enough Squash Mines it will attempt to purchase them first.

Once the Squash Mines have been placed the ship will contact you and ask you to activate the mine field. At this point you can run the command again until you have mined the desired area, or you can activate the mine field by comm'ing one of the mines and selecting "activate all mines".
EDIT: The chances of anything actually getting in range unless you lay them across a gate is pretty minimal though, in my experience. I was going to write a mine-laying script at one point to make bigger minefields, but I decided using trcker mines was easier :).

Danya Turrel
x4

Post by Danya Turrel » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 15:48

Asmayus wrote:Pirates sometimes carry and drop them while your on their tail. Or so I've heard.
You know, I hadn't tought of that. But that would explain a couple of completely unexpected dog-fight deaths I've experienced in this game. I had always thought it was a rear turret, another pirate I hadn't seen, or a rock or something. But if they can drop mines, THAT IS SO COOL! Pirates aren't as dumb as I thought.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 18:01

That might have been just a loose Hammerhead being shot down.

I've not seen a pirate patrol drop (or even carry) mines, although that's not to say they don't :).

karl_1_marx
x3

Post by karl_1_marx » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 18:02

Danya Turrel wrote:
Asmayus wrote:Pirates sometimes carry and drop them while your on their tail. Or so I've heard.
You know, I hadn't tought of that. But that would explain a couple of completely unexpected dog-fight deaths I've experienced in this game. I had always thought it was a rear turret, another pirate I hadn't seen, or a rock or something. But if they can drop mines, THAT IS SO COOL! Pirates aren't as dumb as I thought.
Unlikey. With an M3 you should normally survive the blast. Hammerhead's the more likely culprit there....

Edit: (Grghng, too slow.)

Cheers

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 19:21

Carlo the Curious wrote:That might have been just a loose Hammerhead being shot down.

I've not seen a pirate patrol drop (or even carry) mines, although that's not to say they don't :).
Me neither. I've killed and/or captured literally tens of thousands of pirate ships, and have never seen one carrying a SQUASH mine in its hold, let alone drop one. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a normal pirate carrying any kind of deployable wares (mines, drones, satellites, LT's). I've only seen these things in smuggler ships, normally TS's. So SQUASH mine dropping sounds like one of those X3 myths. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

BrigandPhantos
x2

Post by BrigandPhantos » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 23:03

Nanook wrote:
Carlo the Curious wrote:That might have been just a loose Hammerhead being shot down.

Me neither. I've killed and/or captured literally tens of thousands of pirate ships, and have never seen one carrying a SQUASH mine in its hold, let alone drop one. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a normal pirate carrying any kind of deployable wares (mines, drones, satellites, LT's). I've only seen these things in smuggler ships, normally TS's. So SQUASH mine dropping sounds like one of those X3 myths. :wink:
Just a thought, but a Hurricane Missile does similar to a squash mine with it's blast radius. Useful for taking on multiple targets with a single missile. If one hit something near the player, it does similar damage to a squash mine.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!

May profitsssss go with you!!

Visit me on myspace!

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 23:37

Since no one else has suggested this: How about making a profit? Producing them and selling them to the NPC traders? Just a thought, you know, may not work. Other than that, I've never used one for anything else!
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 23:57

BrigandPhantos wrote:Just a thought, but a Hurricane Missile does similar to a squash mine with it's blast radius. Useful for taking on multiple targets with a single missile. If one hit something near the player, it does similar damage to a squash mine.
Aye but in this case similiar means 1/5 the damage and 1/8 the blast radius.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 25. Jan 08, 00:46

em3e3 wrote:Since no one else has suggested this: How about making a profit? Producing them and selling them to the NPC traders? Just a thought, you know, may not work. Other than that, I've never used one for anything else!
This is exactly what I did with that 'free' ore mine from the plot. I added two SQUASH mine factories and a Soyery L for a mini complex. Bought the soja beans and energy locally. Made a nice profit once it got going. Could never keep more than a few in stock. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Fri, 25. Jan 08, 16:12

For some strange reason i still have 0 squash mine factories, though they should sell just as good as space weed or booze. Dont know why, theese littel buggers are always overlooked.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Auseryan
x2

Post by Auseryan » Wed, 30. Jan 08, 10:58

Once i was killing a load of xenon, i think in The Wall or something. Then 2 M3 class ships came at me and i thought "right, I'm out of here!" but they were about to catch me so i droped 3 clusters of SQUASH mines, killed te smaller ones and damged the bigger ones and then i went through a jumpgate to Argon Prime
98% of people listen to rap, R&B etc. if you are the 2% who listen to other music copy this as your signature.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”