Help with a TP/TL Script

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

cjd1888
x2

Help with a TP/TL Script

Post by cjd1888 » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 20:10

Hi all,

Only recently gotten X3 after playing X2 for some time and enjoying it thoroughly.

I have to say that I'm enjoying X3 even more, despite some of the subtle to huge differences (i miss flying an M6 like a fighter but I understand that changes)

One thing that I am dissapointed in is the lack of usage for a TP craft, i've never owned one until i received an *ahem* shiny split version, but still can't find a major use for it other than Taxi scripts etc. and quite frankly I'd rather spend my game time on more exciting things.

After buying my nice Paranid Hercules and finiding out I can no longer dock all ships i read some posts and actually agree that the use of TS, particularly super freighters in a TL is not something that makes a great deal of sense. However, my idea is to allow a TP class ship to dock with a TL as a "personal shuttle" and to allow for ferrying equipment and resupply.

I know there is a script out there that allows for both TS and TP docking with TL's and M1's and I was wondering if either:

1. there is a script out there that allows ONLY TP class ships to dock with a TL (none of this TS to TL or to other capital ships hocus pocus)

2. If not, is it possible to modify a current script to allow for this ... and if so, being a total scripting newbie, is this difficult or a piece of cake?

Many Thanks in advance.

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Mon, 4. Feb 08, 21:48

TP ships are like passenger liners. their intended design is like a 747(tp). you dont ferry 1 guy in a 747(tp) you ferry 1 guy in a leer jet(m5).

good luck finding your script though.

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Tue, 5. Feb 08, 02:37

Sadly TP's and TS's (dockwise) are indistinguishable. I believe that there are only smallship (m3-m5, ts tp's), bigship (m6 m7, m1 m2), and fighter only (m3-m5) docks. As for M0 I have no idea.

There are a couple ways you could do it with scripting, but tbh, they would consume continous computing power (or require extensive scripting) for such a minor effect.

Osiris_sam
x4

Post by Osiris_sam » Tue, 5. Feb 08, 12:42

even if you scriped this, what effect would it have?
i dnt see the point in only allowing TPs to dock with a TL, do TLs have lots of people that needed ferrying.
imho the only 'purpose' for at TP other than taxi scripts (which are useful) would be, very theoretically, if someone made a script which made players require personel to man their stations, and tps would be the logical choice to move personel around (since that IS their purpose), however, i dont think people would script this because of its complexity, and its annoying factor (imagine having to set up a station, then hire a bunch of workers and getting them to a station to man it... = pain in the...)
just my views

sam

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Tue, 5. Feb 08, 14:09

Osiris_sam wrote:even if you scriped this, what effect would it have?
i dnt see the point in only allowing TPs to dock with a TL, do TLs have lots of people that needed ferrying.
imho the only 'purpose' for at TP other than taxi scripts (which are useful) would be, very theoretically, if someone made a script which made players require personel to man their stations, and tps would be the logical choice to move personel around (since that IS their purpose), however, i dont think people would script this because of its complexity, and its annoying factor (imagine having to set up a station, then hire a bunch of workers and getting them to a station to man it... = pain in the...)
just my views

sam
TP's don't require Cargo Lifesupport System to carry, shall we say, more profitable living cargo? And since docked ships don't get scanned, you would be able to secretly carry many slaves on board without the authorities noticing. So TP's do a very good use. Not needing to make sure you've got the Cargo Lifesupport System installed in your ship at all times can be a godsend. Especially when you try to 'offer a lift' to some floating astronauts, just to find that it was wasted as you didn't have the required tech. (Even funnier when you make a TP pilot bail, claim the ship, and then use his own ship to scoop him up :lol: )

cjd1888
x2

Post by cjd1888 » Tue, 5. Feb 08, 21:44

Many Thanks for the info s9lient.

My thought was really only to make a TP class ship worth having in my game, I am aware that I am creating a purpose for it by creating a script like that but hey ho, i'll just limit myself to TP with the beam dock script.

It does seem whilst every other type of ship has a clearly defined purpose .. the TP .. is well, just ... dull .... maybe it's just me though, I just don't relate taxi missions or tours as fun.

Maybe if I get round to that Pirate quickstart I'll look at TP's more differently (thanks argon_emperor :twisted:)

Thanks all.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”