How to kill "jumping J" Xenon invasion?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rickster
x3tc

How to kill "jumping J" Xenon invasion?

Post by Rickster » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 16:31

Hey guys,

As stated in the topic i would like some advice on how to kill that jumping bugger. What ship should i use and what tactic?

Just tried for over an hour in my M3+ Eclips, should i get a bigger boat?

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Intel Duo E6550 @ 2.33 Ghz
2 GB Kingston Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
280 GB IDE HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 16:42

be fast and hard

OR

wait until it stays in the sector (at the end),

maybe you got 2 J's jumping (compare the id's) =)

enjoy the fight and enjoy the money income in the end
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Stormsong
x3tc

Post by Stormsong » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 17:32

Or just jump into the neighbouring Xenon sector and go after them there(noting their IDs in the sector map beforehand makes them easier to find).
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 17:43

Biggest problem with cap ships in Xenon Invasions is the hull...they carry pathetic shielding, but have just as much hull as any other ship, and of course it's very easy for you to get them down to a sliver and then for one of the "helpers" to land the last shot and deny you the kill! It's probably one of the few circumstances where missiles are a better bet, because they do all their damage in one big lump...less likely someone else will sneak the kill.

Gimlis
x3

Post by Gimlis » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 18:25

It can be done in an M3 or M3+. Try stick close to where the J jump in so you can begin attacking it as soon as possible.
I don’t think an M3+ has enough fire power to drop the shields and hull before it jumps out again. missiles can help if you’re sticking very close to the J you may be able to land a few Thunderbolts or a Hornet or 2 but the Hornet are slower making them more likely to be shot down the J to jump out before they hit…
Even with missiles it’s tough to get to the J and kill it before it jumps back out..

The extra fire power of a bigger ship like an M6 or the Hyperion can help but the lower speeds make it harder to get to it..
Spoiler
Show
an Hyperion over tuned with Pandora engine and rudder tunings is very effective at getting to and dispatching the J’s quickly
Killing the J does bring in allot of credits but also ends the mission quicker. that means fewer Ls & Ms to kill. The Ls & Ms killed also add to the reward and you’re fight and race ranks with the races involved with the XI so keep in mind ending it fast can be an opportunity lost..

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 18:25

Afterburner + Hammerhead missile

Takes some pratice to get it down but it's the fastest way to kill the Js before jumpout in a m3 class fighter.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

kwongwah
x3tc

Post by kwongwah » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 18:30

I use a combination of PBEs in a LX and ramming them to get them to stay in sector :) Not the smartest thing to do if you have low shields but it does work.

Found you can prvent them from jumping out again by taking off all their shields and doing some damage to the hull. That's why I started to ram them. I'm not sure if using mass drivers to do hull damage without doing sheild damage will help.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 18:46

kwongwah wrote:I use a combination of PBEs in a LX and ramming them to get them to stay in sector :) Not the smartest thing to do if you have low shields but it does work.

Found you can prvent them from jumping out again by taking off all their shields and doing some damage to the hull. That's why I started to ram them. I'm not sure if using mass drivers to do hull damage without doing sheild damage will help.

does not always work, maybe only if you destroy their jumpdrive with your hit, but that's just a guess

and with a hyperion filled up with tempests i enjoy the show of letting them jump in and deploy their load just to see it go boom some seconds later ... hahahaha, i r so evil :/
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Rickster
x3tc

Post by Rickster » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 19:47

Wow very helpfull tips here much appreciated!

Didn't know it would "end" at some point with the J staying put, i thought it would go on and on until i killed it.

Gonna have some good fun blasting them all to pieces!

Thanks again!
2 GB Kingston Ram
280 GB IDE HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate

NitroX
x3

Post by NitroX » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 21:33

It stays put? D: I nearly tore out hair last night fighting the darn Js because they would drop their fighters, jump faster than a jumpdrive could actually charge, and the fighters would scramble to the four corners of the sector to make it hard to get the J to come back. Managed to blow both of them up eventually.

Rickster
x3tc

Post by Rickster » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 22:11

Yeah after a while it just stays in the sector, prolly forgot to refuel or something :D

It happend to me just now but then the indestructable helper rammed it to death so i didn't get the kill :(
2 GB Kingston Ram
280 GB IDE HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate

kotekzot

Post by kotekzot » Sun, 10. Feb 08, 23:59

ramming them with a hyperion once their shields are down results in epic win. you'll only lose about 30% of your shields or so.

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 02:06

With the hyperion, I used to use the forward guns to bring the shield down and ram to kill.

Now I use the Python. When i see a J, i move to the position and swap front weapons to GPPC. Roll around a bit to kill off fighters with FLAKs and soon enough the J will pop right back, directly in front of you. :twisted: :)

autosave22
x3tc

Post by autosave22 » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 03:00

Since Kor'ah beat me to my all time favourite method...

As you already have an Eclipse, I'll assume that you bought it.

Try the Chrimera. It's reasonably swift, and has plenty of cargo space for carrying lots of mass driver ammo.

The idea is to kill the J/K before its shields drop. Hence getting you the kill and the bounty. IIRC It will take about 50 MD ammo boxes.

Good luck.

Roderick Gibson
x3

Post by Roderick Gibson » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 09:23

If you use the Hyperion, fly to where it last jumped out and circle waiting on it. Set your turrets to protect and you can usually just about ignore the fighters, when it appears unload everything into the J, you will strip shields and do some hull damage. IF you do not kill it, repeat until you do.

But wait till it has dropped lots of fighters, lots of jump cycles, get as many kills first for profit and rep (often >100). I ignore the J for a while, kill fighters to build up kills and rep, the do as above to kill J.

In a M3+, can do similar, but you cannot ignore the fighters in the last bit, but you can evade them and wait on the J returning. Just refuse to be drawn away from the J jump point. As others have said, missiles are good and MDs are very good

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 09:26

A quick tip. PPC fire does not go off with the time squish, so if you don't think you are going to make it to the ship before another one can finish it off, hit "j".
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Daergar
x4

Post by Daergar » Tue, 12. Feb 08, 18:29

Just wanted to second, or third as the case may be, using a fighter, afterburner and a hammerhead (Unknown object missile worth 80k if you're not too far into the game).

The only issue I tend to have is that if you have two J's and a K from the get go, the J's tend to jump into the debris from another destroyed capital ship, making it truly tricky at times to land the missile properly.

And oh, get away from the blast radius quickly. :D

MASPL

Post by MASPL » Fri, 15. Feb 08, 23:41

Stormsong wrote:Or just jump into the neighbouring Xenon sector and go after them there(noting their IDs in the sector map beforehand makes them easier to find).
If I kill the Xenon J outside the Race Sector will this be added to the final prize count at the end of the XI mission.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 15. Feb 08, 23:47

Yes. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”