EGOSOFT WAKEUP! CHANGES NEEDED for X3 terran

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cyllan2
x3

EGOSOFT WAKEUP! CHANGES NEEDED for X3 terran

Post by cyllan2 » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:06

call it X4 , or it will ruin the sales!!!!!!!

more automation of functions, TOO MUCH MICROMANAGEMENT

interactive universe, real wars between species , real plot development as time goes by.

if you have visited a system you souldbe able to see into it , no more satellite deploying

this game looks too much like a niche game ----just for a few enthusiasts----

there are new generations of graphics cards since 2005 USE THEM!!!!

why no FMV, i find this annoying in general in PC games.

hasnt anyone played a FFantasy game before ? people play 100hours for the FMV.and story line alone.

where is the FMV or Story line in the game?

openended is fine , spend 500 hours ,claim five sectors, still 95 to go and no real difference in the universe......=boring

capturing ships is a joke, why the need for spacesuits, or 600k software?
it needs a cheaper and faster functions.

rocks, TOO MANY!!!!!!!

factories and complexes...... too complicated to bother with, from deployment to running them

AI ? where is it??????

SHIPS should come with most/(all?) software already installed.......

i want to be able to visit planets, i am fed up with space stations!!!!!!

agree or disagree with me , is EGOSOFT's MONEY and time, if you are too small, get a big name publisher and spend more making 1st class games

you could be the "oblivion" of space games, you need to think bigger

no more starforce, never never ever.

please no insults, i am a player with 20 years practice, since the Spectrum days, i just want what i dont have and i want the above,

regards to all

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:13

If you're just posting for other players then fine. But if, as the post title suggests, you actually want a developer to read your suggestions then you've wasted your time. You need to sign up for DevNet and post in the ideas forum, following the very strict posting rules that apply there.

Don't bother suggesting anything about copy protection though, as that's a matter for the publishers.

cyllan2
x3

Post by cyllan2 » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:15

well if you have access, feel free to copy and paste

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:16

No thanks.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:21

I'm onboard with most of what you're pitching here, but some examples and a real breakdown of ideas (I.E. okay, there is too much micromanagement... what do we do specifically to fix that?) would give you more traction.

Also, easier reading would have helped you here. :roll:

EDIT

oh yeah, and listen to CBJ. Pitch this (carefully and structuredly :wink:) in the DevNet and you're much more likely to make a difference.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Merroc
x3tc

Re: EGOSOFT WAKEUP! CHANGES NEEDED for X3 terran

Post by Merroc » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:25

cyllan2 wrote:there are new generations of graphics cards since 2005 USE THEM!!!!
Wasnt the game released in 2005? How can you use the capabilities of newer generation cards when you're using the current ones? As for the next game.. Well we havent seen anything from the next game...

You did manage to put a smile on my face though ^^

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:25

already? that was quick :o
cyllan2 wrote:call it X4 , or it will ruin the sales!!!!!!!
and how do you figure that?
Most of the gamers think those games are about mutants.

if the number matters, than why not call it
X2K: the terran conflict: final battle: episode 0: the lost chapters
cyllan2 wrote: if you have visited a system you souldbe able to see into it , no more satellite deploying
The sats provide "realtime" info. Clearly the X-Universe lacks internet. If it were up to me I'd have them all visible, or at least Core ones.
cyllan2 wrote: this game looks too much like a niche game ----just for a few enthusiasts--
isnt the whole space genre is? how can this game be not what it is, and what it is same time
cyllan2 wrote: there are new generations of graphics cards since 2005 USE THEM!!!!
what for? for coffee making?

X3's graphics are pretty good, what else do you want?
cyllan2 wrote: why no FMV, i find this annoying in general in PC games.
friendly mutant vampires?...
cyllan2 wrote: where is the FMV or Story line in the game?
Storyline can be much better, I give you that. And cutscenes are terrible, if that's what you mean by FMV.
Though this is clearly a sci fi game, not a fantasy.
cyllan2 wrote: capturing ships is a joke, why the need for spacesuits, or 600k software?
or just the opposite, make capturing more complex, all the way down to wires and control panels :twisted:
cyllan2 wrote: rocks, TOO MANY!!!!!!!
um.... perhaps
cyllan2 wrote: factories and complexes...... too complicated to bother with, from deployment to running them
there are quite a few people, myself included, who use them :)
cyllan2 wrote: AI ? where is it??????
yep, there's room for improvement,
can you however point to a game that has a sophisticated AI that is really good at navigating (and fighting) in 3D space?... I cant think of any recent (or old) mainstream ones... unless there are some indie games.
cyllan2 wrote: i want to be able to visit planets, i am fed up with space stations!!!!!!
'Earth and Beyond' anyone? I'll live without that one.
cyllan2 wrote: if you are too small, get a big name publisher and spend more making 1st class games
why didn’t they think of that :D
cyllan2 wrote: please no insults, i am a player with 20 years practice, since the Spectrum days, i just want what i dont have and i want the above,
hehe, spectrum was fun.

You do realize though, that not all that you listed is necessarily an improvement. At least, not to everyone.
Plus Egosoft has it’s own plans, and they probably pay more attention to the ideas on Dev Net forum.

cyllan2 wrote:well if you have access, feel free to copy and paste
the entry level access is not hard to get. Just follow the application process.
I have it (but havent used it yet).
Last edited by fiksal on Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

cyllan2
x3

Post by cyllan2 » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:29

well i cant get access to dev net, if somebody likes the post and can, please be free to copy/paste.....

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:33

cyllan2 wrote:well i cant get access to dev net, if somebody likes the post and can, please be free to copy/paste.....
actually rules arent that relaxed there as here. So you'd have to be more specific, and probably pick the ideas carefully.

Thus why no-one generally posts there for anyone else. (I am guessing)

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:37

cyllan2 wrote:there are new generations of graphics cards since 2005 USE THEM!!!!
rocks, TOO MANY!!!!!!!
Just wondering, why? Cant your "newer than 2005" generation graphics card handle all the rocks?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:38

cyllan2 wrote:well i cant get access to dev net, if somebody likes the post and can, please be free to copy/paste.....
Everyone can get access to Level 3 Devnet if they fill in the appropriate info in their profile. And if you want to have someone submit ideas for you, they'd first have to agree with what you say. :P :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

karl_1_marx
x3

Post by karl_1_marx » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:47

On more than 50% of the "must"s I disagree.

Cheers
fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 22:59

Nanook wrote: And if you want to have someone submit ideas for you, they'd first have to agree with what you say. :P :lol:
plus isnt there a mandatory cookie bribe?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 23:18

i really dont see y the name would ruin sales
cyllan2 wrote:more automation of functions, TOO MUCH MICROMANAGEMENT
some ppl like to micromanage.
what would you like, a command that will fly your ships automatically so you can jsut sit back and do nothing ?
cyllan2 wrote:if you have visited a system you souldbe able to see into it , no more satellite deploying
the point of the satalites is to detect any changes in prices, availablity, new stations, etc. Althou it isn't just satalites, its anything in range, wether its ships, stations or satalites.
cyllan2 wrote:this game looks too much like a niche game ----just for a few enthusiasts----
its a niche game because of the type it is, if you want to change it from a niche game, then it would mean changing the genre completly.

not everyone wants to play all the common games that are always the same.
any games, especially one in a niche market that is already limited on sales shouldn't not always aim for the cutting edge equipment that very few will have. The graphics of the current X3 isn't exactly that bad
cyllan2 wrote:why no FMV, i find this annoying in general in PC games.
maybe because FMV is expensive, if a game has a limited profit margin, they cant usually afford to spend lots of money on everything
hasnt anyone played a FFantasy game before ? people play 100hours for the FMV.and story line alone.
but thats all final fantasy is, its based around the story and nothing more. the X games are the opposite, they are designed for the ppl who prefer an open ended game and not just following a storyline.

also final fantasy is in a much bigger market, so they already have a lot more money available to do thing like that
cyllan2 wrote:openended is fine , spend 500 hours ,claim five sectors, still 95 to go and no real difference in the universe......=boring
many ppl consider that an advantage, and thats the way the game has been designed. changing that would mean its not longer an X game.

if you dont like that kind of game, then maybe its not for you.
cyllan2 wrote:capturing ships is a joke, why the need for spacesuits, or 600k software?
completly disagree here, capturing is very profitiable, if it was cheaper, easier and faster to do, it would mean you can make plenty of money. The game would become boring as u'll make money way to quickly
cyllan2 wrote:rocks, TOO MANY!!!!!!!
some might say it adds to the atmosphere of the game.
cyllan2 wrote:factories and complexes...... too complicated to bother with, from deployment to running them
so you would prefer to remove one of the main features that this game has over others ?

for some ppl, the main aim of the game is about the factories, if you dont like them, you are not forced to even bother with them.

but im sure removing them would bother alot of other ppl
cyllan2 wrote: SHIPS should come with most/(all?) software already installed.......
then y bother with updates at all, if all ships are pre installed with all software you dont really need to have any at all.

but most ships dont require them all to the installed. So it allows you to customise the ships how you like, and saving money on stuff that you will never use on the ship.

cyllan2 wrote:i want to be able to visit planets, i am fed up with space stations!!!!!!
well to do planet landings properly would take way to many resources for very little gain.

just doing it like games like freelancer wouldn't help, as they would just be like stations anyways, so no difference in terms of gameplay
cyllan2 wrote:agree or disagree with me , is EGOSOFT's MONEY and time, if you are too small, get a big name publisher and spend more making 1st class games
not as easy as you seem to think it is.
the game is in a niche market, and so not all publishers want to bother with it.

especially the big name publishers, that will want to make changes to the game to make it more mainstream

It seems from most of your suggestions is that you simply dont like the style of game it is, and prefer if it would change to an entirly new game.

wouldn't it be better to try a game that is closer to waht you want, rather than changing an open ended game into a story driven combat sim ?

Jingleheimer
x3

Post by Jingleheimer » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 23:38

Instead of taking a great game and demanding it be changed to suit your tastes, how about finding another game?

No offense, it just seems obvious you've stepped into the wrong genre.

Edit: Now having read through the thread, I feel like a complete dope repeating basically what you just said, Cycrow.

bounty_hunter66
x4

Post by bounty_hunter66 » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 23:48

Teladi say: Gameplay over graphics! Help make profitsssss :D
openended is fine , spend 500 hours ,claim five sectors, still 95 to go and no real difference in the universe......=boring
Booring is freelancer and other space games that dont offer u this posibility to claim sectors or even destroy a race

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Mon, 11. Feb 08, 23:48

Well, after reading eveyone's responses there's not much more I can say. But, I feel compelled to just add this one thought. The scripting and modding community is very big here. One way you can "change" the game is becoming a modder and contributing to the community. Otherwise, your OP is basically a complaint that most people don't really care about because you provided a bunch of problems with no solutions. Just my two cents.
-NavyAICS.
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 12. Feb 08, 00:02

Sry but story driven game can be open ended after the story is concluded, x games kinda do this but they prefer to do more on trading than story or cutscenes. I for one would love more focus on story than the rest, as you cant really do much more trade wise unless you add items and new stations which hasnt really changed from the first game they just try to make the economy better but imo it was fine in xbtf, no one likes things too realistic but not too cartoony/fake either so a balance would be nice but x games can never make their mind up i feel.

I loved xbtf, like the single ship actually and the story, x tension was nice for new ships, and x2 was ok gfx i guess and had bulletin boards. Nothings changed but gfx and a bit of story in x3, i reckon not much will change in x3 expansion except more stuff put into trading (after a few x games u get sick of it) so would be nice to try some new stuff in x games. Maybe some 4x stuff in which i would love like planet controls and empire building through colonies etc, research (should be done in x games i feel anyhow to get new weapons etc so u get new surprises the longer u play instead of knowing by lookin at factorys whats in the game).

Basically x games have become stagnated and need some new gameplay added if the franchise wishes to survive. Definatly kill of a race or two and replace with new ones and some minor races with 1 sector some unique ships for that race alone and unique stations with unique wares for that system alone that can produce but others will buy but not produce. Everything is too generalised theres not really any ship upgrade that is race specific that works on race ships only. This i feel would be great to add.

Anyhow sry this post has gone on abit. Im a fan of the x games but i just wish they try somit new in them for the ppl thats played all the previous games and arnt repeating themselves. Id love a new x game thats got some fresh ideas in that works with the old ones.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

ninjitsumonk
x3

Post by ninjitsumonk » Tue, 12. Feb 08, 00:40

Cycrow wrote:
but thats all final fantasy is, its based around the story and nothing more. the X games are the opposite, they are designed for the ppl who prefer an open ended game and not just following a storyline.
I disagree. Whilst the story is a main part of the FF series it is not the sole driving power to the game.
On final fantasy X I've racked up over 140 hours of gameplay and I'm still not gonna put it down any time soon.
And its purely because of the extra bits that I haven't done, I have every option to go up against the main boss, and my characters are strong enough to go one on one with the boss's(yes, multiple) and take each one on with one hit, yet vs dark yojimbo I don't stand a chance yet(still gotta max out my equipment - not doing the overdrive cheat, doing this battle straight) and then theres penance to go against, not compulsory, and I don't get anything out of it, just satisfaction of being awesome and being able to beat all dark aeons in straight fights rather than all the cheats and shortcuts.
Archeo Avis wrote:
if you take out phrasing and root notes and just look at the notes, they are the same
So what you're saying is, if you ignore everything that's different and focus only on the one thing that's the same, they're same.

Good God.

RealKlepto
x3ap

Post by RealKlepto » Tue, 12. Feb 08, 02:18

IMO....
I suspect they don't see it as X4, more X3.5. Releasing it as a stand alone game and not a commercial expansion sounds a little like profiteering but I don't have enough info to be sure of that. Either way I wish Egosoft all the profits they deserve, which is lots :)
cyllan2 wrote:more automation of functions, TOO MUCH MICROMANAGEMENT
I like micromanagement, or at least the option to micromanage. With the scripting engine in X3 many things are already automated although they may require the installation of mods.
cyllan2 wrote:interactive universe, real wars between species , real plot development as time goes by.
Agreed, I think most people would like a truly dynamic universe. This may be possible within the current engine, but I'm no modder so I can't say for sure.
cyllan2 wrote:if you have visited a system you souldbe able to see into it , no more satellite deploying
I completely disagree with this point, I'd much rather have more realism in the area of information and avionics.
cyllan2 wrote:this game looks too much like a niche game ----just for a few enthusiasts----
Niche does not equate to bad, otherwise we'd all be playing Mario instead. Most of the games I love were never huge hits, generally it seems to me that: interesting games are deep, deep games take a long time to master, mainstream games must appeal to people who don't want to spend months learning a game and are therefore often shallow.
I have no complaints about the graphics, other than the lack of multi-monitor options.
cyllan2 wrote:why no FMV, i find this annoying in general in PC games.

where is the FMV or Story line in the game?
Please don't listen to this Egosoft, FMV is a waste of your resources. If I wanted to watch video I'd put in a DVD and watch that. The whole point of computer gaming is that it's interactive. As for storyline, I'd rather see the storyline be a development of a dynamic universe rather than a linear (or tree-like) progression. More communication with other ships, and more diverse communication options would help. This would probably need to be text based but coupled with the scripting engine could allow for some very interesting dynamic plotlines. IMO the two major things the X games need are a truly dynamic universe and more interaction with NPCs.
cyllan2 wrote:openended is fine , spend 500 hours ,claim five sectors, still 95 to go and no real difference in the universe......=boring
I don't find it boring, or if I do I stop playing until it interests me again. A more dynamic universe would help with this. For example: if capturing a key sector disrupted a nations supply chain it may stimulate demand for resources in other sectors, or make it easier to annex those other sectors, or perhaps even force the nation to negotiate a cessation of hostilities.
cyllan2 wrote:capturing ships is a joke, why the need for spacesuits, or 600k software?
I guess that's a matter of taste. Some of us would like a minigame allowing us to manually hack the airlock security systems, or perhaps the ability to hire space marines or buy salvage droids to do the job for us. Certainly the way it worked in X2 was too easy, where as soon as the pilot bailed the ship was yours.
cyllan2 wrote:rocks, TOO MANY!!!!!!!
I disagree, but I believe there are mods that do this.
cyllan2 wrote:factories and complexes...... too complicated to bother with, from deployment to running them
I completely disagree, the ability to build your own industrial base is one of the key attractions of X games.
cyllan2 wrote:AI ? where is it??????
I suspect this is a technical issue. Smarter AI means more CPU cycles, in a game with a few dozen ships active at any one time that's fine but not when many thousands are active.
cyllan2 wrote: SHIPS should come with most/(all?) software already installed.......
This is a balance issue, it would be nice to be able to specify ship templates so they could automatically have the software installed as a convenience but I don't have a problem paying for software.
cyllan2 wrote:i want to be able to visit planets, i am fed up with space stations!!!!!!
You are not alone there, I'd like to see gravity wells, orbits etc. too. Frontier is still the most realistic space sim to date from this point of view.
cyllan2 wrote:agree or disagree with me , is EGOSOFT's MONEY and time, if you are too small, get a big name publisher and spend more making 1st class games

you could be the "oblivion" of space games, you need to think bigger
I've never played Oblivion, but I often describe the X universe to the uninitiated as 'Morrowind in space', funnily enough this was inspired by a comment I read a long time ago describing Daggerfall as 'Frontier on land'. I think Egosoft are pretty much there, they have provided a space based 4x game operating system which the community can mold and extend. What's still needed is detail, but much of that can be provided by the community in the form of mods.
cyllan2 wrote:no more starforce, never never ever.
As a Linux-only guy I have no opinion on this, other than the fact it makes running stuff on Linux impossible.
cyllan2 wrote:please no insults, i am a player with 20 years practice, since the Spectrum days, i just want what i dont have and i want the above,
The points you have raised are valid, although the tone is a touch confrontational. As you can see I disagree with much of it, I get the feeling you would like an X game that I would consider 'dumbed down'. Some of what you would like to see may be possible through modding/scripting. Personally I've been gaming for around 27 years, starting with text mode arcade games on a Commodore Pet.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”